Dr Sowmya S V is a faculty member and Associate Professor with the Department of Oral Pathology and Microbiology, RUAS. Starting out as a Senior Lecturer at Sri Rajiv Gandhi College of Dental Sciences, she joined M S Ramaiah Dental College & Hospital as a Senior Lecturer in 2011 and became a Reader in 2016. A keen researcher herself with 9 years of experience, she has extended a guiding hand to various undergraduate and post-graduate research projects. Having completed her Bachelor’s degree from M.S. Ramaiah Dental College, Bangalore in 2001, she procured her Master’s degree in Dental Surgery from KLE Vishwanath Katti Institute of Dental Sciences, Belagavi in 2010. She is pursuing a postgraduate doctoral degree at Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences.
Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences
KLE Vishwanath Katti Institute of Dental Sciences, KLE Deemed University, Belagavi
M.S. Ramaiah Dental College, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bengaluru
Total Experience: 10 years
Research: 8 years 11 months
Senior Lecturer — June 2010 to June 2011- Sri Rajiv Gandhi College of Dental Sciences
Senior Lecturer — June 2011 to July 2013- M S Ramaiah Dental College & Hospital
Senior Lecturer — August 2013 to January 2016
Reader — February 2016 till date
Oral Pathology, Dental Anatomy and Oral Histology, Histopathology, Cytopathology, Immunohistochemistry
Research Interest: Oral Oncology, Diagnostic Pathology, Forensic Odontology, Oral Potentially Malignant disorders
Research Expertise: Oral Oncology, Diagnostic Pathology, Oral Potentially Malignant disorders
- Oral Oncology
- Diagnostic Pathology
- Oral Potentially Malignant disorders
- Forensic Odontology
- “Development of Metastatic Risk Assessment Model for Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma by Clinicopathologic, Phenotypic and Molecular Characterization”- Ongoing
National Conference Papers:
- Scientific Presentation titled “Genes: Are they real predictors of disease?” at the National Triple ‘O’ Symposium held at KLE VK Institute of Dental Sciences, Belgaum on 4th& 5th July 2008.
- Scientific Presentation titled “Cementum: Identification for better diagnosis” presented at XVII National Conference of IAOMFP held at Kolkata from 27th to 29th Dec 2008.
- Scientific Presentation titled “Assessment of Learning Preferences Among Dental Undergraduates” at the 1st National Conference on Dental Health Professions education held on 30th & 31st May 2013 organized by MSRDC
- Paper presentation titled “Tooth Morphology in dental morphology – a boon or bane” at the National Triple ‘O’ Symposium held at Faculty of Dental Sciences, Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bangalore on 13th 14th& 15th March 2015.
- Paper presentation titled “Quantitative analysis of Nuclear and cellular volumetric alterations in Oral lichen planus and lichenoid lesions using image analysis software” at “Seminar on Medical Science and Biomedicine” held at Karnataka Cancer Society on 28th September 2016
International Conference Papers:
- Scientific Paper presentation titled “Evaluation of the role of Epithelial Mesenchymal transition and Cancer stem cells in metastasis of Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma usingbiomarkers” at 2nd World Cancer Congress and 2nd world congress on Drug discovery & development 2018, Conducted by Bangalore Healthcare Summit, 25th& 26th September 2018 held at Royal Orchid Resorts & Convention Centre, Bangalore
National Journal Papers: 23
- Assessment of Learning Preferences Among Dental Undergraduates. Dental Poster Journal. 2013; Vol 2, May – June Issue, Poster 4
- Multiple accessory cusps in mandibular permanent dentition: A case report. RGUHS journal of dental sciences. Sep 2011; 3(3): 43 – 47
- Supernumerary teeth: A report of 6 different cases. RGUHS journal of dental sciences. June 2012; 4(2): 79 – 84
- Histomorphometric analysis of nuclear and cellular volumetric alterations in oral lichen planus, lichenoid lesions and normal oral mucosa using image analysis software. Indian Journal of Dental Research. 2013; 24(2): 277 – 284.
- Hyaline ring granuloma- A short review. Dentovision: A journal of M.S. Ramaiah Dental College. Sep 2011; 7:74 – 77
- Patil S, Rao RS, Sowmya SV, Sanketh DS, Sarode SC, Sarode GS. Meticulous diagnosis of adenoid squamous cell carcinoma: A sine qua non. J Med RadiolPathol Surg 2015;1:20 – 23.
- Patil S, Sowmya SV, Rao RS, Raj T. Knowledge, attitude and practice of tooth morphology among dental students. J Adv Clin Res Insights 2015;2:124 – 130.
- Shwetha K.N., Vanishri H.C., Dominic A., Sowmya S.V. and Roopa R.S. Recent Advances In Diagnosis Of Oral Cancer. J Dent Orofac Res. 2016; 12(1):19 – 21.
- Sowmya S.V, Pushpalatha C, Roopa R S. Benign migratory glossitis- A case of Hereditary aetiology. 2016.ISOR J Dent Med Sci;15(2):109 – 11.
- Nambiar KS, Haragannavar VC, Augustine D, Sowmya SV, Rao RS. Diagnostic aids in detection of oral precancer and cancer: Past to present. Int Dent Med J Adv Res 2016;2:1 – 7.
- Nambiar S, Haragannavar VC, Augustine D, Sowmya SV, Rao RS. Adverse effects of radiotherapy on oral tissues: A review. Int J Contemp Dent Med Rev, Vol 2016, Article ID:020816, 2016.
- Ghosh S, Nambiar S, Patil S, Haragannavar VC, Augustine D, SV S, Rao RS. Allergic and immunologic response of the oral mucosa: An overview. International Journal of Clinical Dental Science. 2016 Sep 22;7(1).
- Roopa S Rao., DominicAugustine., Shwetha Nambiar., C.H. Vanishri., S.V.Sowmya (2017). E‑cigarettes in India-An invite to oral cancers. JCRI.4,pp.436 – 438
- K. Lizbeth Raju., K. Shwetha Nambiar., Vanishri C. Haragannavar., Dominic Augustine., S. V. Sowmya., Roopa S. Rao.(2017). Immunopathogenesis of pemphigus vulgaris: A brief review.JMRP.4.pp 14 – 16
- V. Pavithra, Karuna Kumari, Vanishri C. haragannavar, Roopa S. Rao, Shwetha Nambiar, Dominic augustine, S.V. Sowmya.(2017). Possible Role of Bcl‑2 Expression in Metastatic and Non Metastatic Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma. J Clin Diagn Res.11(9) ZC51-ZC54.
- Indu.M, Ropa S Rao,A Lavanya, SV Sowmya, Patil S.G.Analysis of lip prints in patients with nonsyndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate and their parents. JOFR. 2017;l13:113 – 115.
- Ghosh S, Rao RS, Nambiar KS, Haragannavar VC, Augustine D, Sowmya SV. Sericin, a dietary additive: Mini review.J Med RadiolPathol Surg 2017;4:13 – 17
- Abraham M., Nambiar S., Haragannavar VC. Augustine D., Sowmya SV. , Babu A., Rao RS. Comparison of staining efficacy between turmeric and eosin: A histological study.J Clin Diagn Res; 2017;11(11):zco5-zco8
- Abraham M, Nambiar SK, Haragannavar VC, Rao RS, Augustine D, Sowmya SV: Vaccine for Dental Caries-An Imminent Target. JDOR.2018;14(1):49 – 54.
- Sudarshini, N., Spoorthi, R. B., Shwetha, K. Nambiar, Dominic Augustine, Sowmya, S. V., Vanishree, C. Haragannavara and Roopa, S. Rao (2018) Immunohistochemical StainPhosphohistone H3: Most Specific Mitotic Marker, J. of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, 12(2), pp. ZC18-ZC21.
- Nambiar, S., 2018. Stearoyl coenzyme A desaturase: A diagnostic and prognostic biomarker in patients with oral epithelial dysplasia and oral squamous cell carcinoma. Translational Research in Oral Oncology, 3, p.2057178X18782512.
- Lavanya, A., Shwetha, K. N., Vanishri, H. C., Roopa, S. Rao., Dominic, A., and Sowmya, S. V. (2018) Origin of Cancer Stem Cells – A Short Review, J. of Dental & Oro — facial Research, 14(02), pp. 76 – 79.
- Ghosh S, Singh P, Nambiar KS, Haragannavar VC, Augustine D, Sowmya SV, Rao RS. Role of salivary biomarkers in the diagnosis of oral cancer: Mini review. J Med RadiolPathol Surg 2018;5:7 – 10
International Journal Papers: 22
- Yogesh, T.L. and Sowmya, S.V., 2011. Granules in granular cell lesions of the head and neck: A review. ISRN Pathology, 2011.
- Deepika Shukla, Vinuth D P, Sowmya S. V, Jeevan M.B, Alka D Kale, and Seema Hallikerimath. Cementum made more visual. Journal of Forensic Odonto- Stomatology. July 2012; 30(1): 29 – 36.
- An unexpected positive hypersensitive reaction to eugenol. BMJ Case Reports Sep 2013.
- Spoorthi BR, Rao RS, Premalatha BR, Patil S, Sowmya SV, Purushothama P. Predominantly cystic central mucoepidermoid carcinoma developing from a previously diagnosed dentigerous cyst: case report and review of the literature. Clin Pract 2013; 3:48 – 50.
- Sowmya SV, Patil S, Rao RS. Vegetable Granuloma in Pindborg’s Tumor: A Rare Encounter. J Int Oral Health 2014; 6(4):108 – 10.
- Agarwal, A., Rao, R.S., Sowmya, S.V., Augustine, D. and Patil, S., 2016. Estimation of Salivary Immunoglobulin A and Serum Immunoglobulin A in Smokers and Nonsmokers: A Comparative Study. Journal of International Oral Health, 8(11), p.1008.
- Patil S.G, Roopa S. Rao, A. Thirumal Raj, Venkataswamy P, C.Haragannavar V , Nambiar S, Augustine D,S.V Sowmya. Insights into the pathogenesis and clinicopathological spectrum of oral vegetable granuloma. Case series with literature review. Clinics and practise 2017; 7:1008
- Pavithra V, Nambiar S, Augustine D, Sowmya SV, Kumar KV, Prasad K, Rao RS. Oral Tuberculosis with Advanced Diagnostic Trends. World J Dent 2016;7(4):203 – 207.
- Kumari K, Ghosh S, Patil S, Augustine D, Samudrala Venkatesiah S, Rao RS. Expression of type III collagen correlates with poor prognosis in oral squamous cell
carcinoma. Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry. 2016 Dec 1.
- Pavithra V, SowmyaSV, RaoRS, PatilS, AugustineD, Haragannavar VC, Nambiar S.Tumor- associated Collagen Signatures: An Insight. World J Dent 2017;8(3):224 – 230
- Lizbeth Raju K, Dominic Augustine, Roopa S Rao, Sowmya SV, Vanishri C Haragannavar, Shwetha Nambiar, Kavitha Prasad, Kamran Habib Awan, ShankargoudaPatil.(2017). Biomarkers in Tumorigenesis Using Cancer Cell Lines: A Systematic Review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev18 (9), 2329 – 2337.
- Abraham M., Augustine D, Rao RS., S V. Sowmya, C. Haragannavar V., Nambiar S., Prasad K., Awan KH., Patil S. Naturally Available Extracts Inhibiting Cancer Progression: A Systematic Review. J. Evid.-Based Complementary Altern. Med.;2017(14):1 – 9
- Vineeth K, Sowmya SV, Kavitha P, Madhuri B, Shwetha V (2017) A Case of Buccal Mucosal Swelling: The Diagnostic Conundrum. J Otol Rhinol 6:1. doi: 10.4172÷2324− 8785.1000301
- Abraham M , Augustine D, Sagar P, Rao RS ‚Prasad K, SV Sowmya, Haragannavar VC, Nambiar SK:Diagnostic Panel Markers CD45,CD20,CD3,CD138 and CD56 for Oral Solitary Plasmacytoma of Bone. World J Dent.2018;9(1):53 – 58
- Kumari K, SV Sowmya, Vineeth K, Rao RS, Lalitha RM, Augustine D, Haragannavar VC, Nambiar SK, Abraham M: Staged Minimally Invasive Surgical Approach in the Management of Glandular Odontogenic Cyst. World JDent.2018;9(1):48 – 52
- Surendra, L., Haragannavar, V.C., Rao, R.S., Prasad, K., Sowmya, S.V., Augustine, D. and Nambiar, S., 2018. Prognostic significance of Cep55 in oral squamous cell
carcinoma. Translational Research in Oral Oncology, 3, p.2057178X18781972.
- Haragannavar, VC. et al.(2018). Troubleshooting in Immunohistochemistry with their Remedies. World J Dent, 9 (4) pp. 333 – 341.
- Wafa Khan, Dominic Augustine, Roopa S Rao, Samudrala Venkatesiah Sowmya, Vanishri C Haragannavar, and Shwetha Nambiar (2018). Stem Cell Markers SOX‑2 and OCT‑4 Enable to Resolve theDiagnostic Dilemma between Ameloblastic Carcinoma and Aggressive Solid Multicystic Ameloblastoma, Adv Biomed Res, 7, p 149.
- Surendra Lakshminarayana, Dominic Augustine, Roopa S Rao, Shankargouda Patil, Kamran Habib Awan, Sowmya Samudrala Venkatesiah,Vanishri C Haragannavar, Shwetha Nambiar, Kavitha Prasad(2018). Molecular pathways of oral cancer that predicts prognosis and survival: A systematic review. J Carcinog, 17, p 7
- Prasad, K., Rao, R., Augustine, D., Sowmya, S.V., Haragannavar, V., Sagar, P. and Sreedhar, P., 2019. Pathway based prognostic gene expression profile of buccal and gingivo‐buccal oral squamous cell carcinoma in smokeless tobacco chewers. Head & neck, 41(2), pp.388 – 397.
- Khan W, Haragannavar VC, Rao RS, Patil S, Augustine D, Sowmya SV, Nambiar KS. Lipid Metabolism — An Aberrant Shift in Cancer: A Narrative Review. World J Dent 2018;9(2):162- 167.
- Lakshminarayana Surendra, K Shwetha Nambiar, Vanishri C Haragannavar, Dominic Augustine, Samudrala V Sowmya, Ashok Babu, Roopa S Rao (2019). Staining Efficacy of Rose Extract in Comparison with Eosin Stain: A Histological Study on Oral Tissues, World J Dent, 9(6), pp. 500 – 504.
- CDE program on “Museum technology & Slide Seminar” – 2012
- “Master class in Oral Pathology, Medicine & Oral Pathology” & “Publish or Perish”- 2012
- “Master class in Oral Medicine, Microbiology, Pathology & Molecular markers” on 5th, 6th & 7th August 2013
- 13th National triple O Symposium-2015
- OCRC Workshop Series 1- 2016
- OCRC Workshop Series 2- 2016
- IHC workshop- 2016
- Seminar on “Cancer Stem Cells”- 2017
- Seminar on “Molecular Research- 2017
- Seminar on “Molecular Techniques for Research” ‑2017
- Seminar on “Advanced microscopic techniques and image analysis software” ‑2018
- Seminar on “Advanced microscopic techniques and image analysis software” ‑2018
- Faculty development programme on “Collaborative Research Facilities”- 2018
- Faculty development programme on “Interdisciplinary Research”- 2019
- Recognized with Appreciation letter from Gokula Education Foundation for “Best Performance as a Teacher” by Chief Executive on 12.03.2012.