Dr Silju Mathew is a Professor and Head of the Department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics under the Faculty of Dental Sciences, RUAS. Backed by 25 years of distinguished work in the profession, she is actively involved in research in a number of areas. These include finite element analysis, myofunctional appliances, functional jaw orthopaedics and surgical orthodontics. Her work has regularly been featured in the Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research and World Journal of Dentistry to name a few renowned publications. She serves as an Examiner and also as a DCI inspector at various prestigious colleges across the country. She has been Chief Convener of the Bangalore Orthodontic Study Group.
Dr Silju Mathew was elected President of the Indian Orthodontic Society (2019 – 2020). As its executive committee member for 6 terms she has chaired several committees including the Disciplinary and Grievance Redressal Committee (2018), Public Relation & Communication Committee (2017), Constitutional Committee and New Journal Review Committee (2014). As the Organising Chairman, she has played a pivotal role in ideating, planning and executing conferences, conventions and workshops at the national level such as the 5th Indian Lingual Orthodontic Conference, National Integrated Typodont Workshop and BOSG International Symposium held during the year 2017 in Bangalore. As a top-ranked student during her Bachelor’s (1990) and Master’s studies in Dental Surgery, she received Dr C V Mohan Award for Best Preclinical student (1988) and B K Venkataraman Award for Best Outgoing student of her batch. She has memberships at IDA and IOS (life) where she is also the Chief Editor of the IOS Bulletin. She has been the Chief Adjudicator of the Orthodontist Premier League for three consecutive years (2016 — 2019).
MDS - Dental Surgery
Total Experience: 25 years
PEA system, Surgical orthodontics, Functional jaw orthopaedics, Lingual Orthodontic treatment, Aligners, Damon
Research Interest: Finite Element Analysis, Myofunctional appliances, Functional jaw orthopaedics, Surgical orthodontics
Research Expertise: Finite Element Analysis in orthodontics
- Finite Element Analysis in orthodontics
- Surgical orthodontics
- Functional jaw orthopaedics
- Myofunctional appliances
- The effect of saliva contamination on precoated orthodontic brackets when using a self-etching primer- ORTHODONTIC CYBER JOURNAL, DEC 2010.
- Post burn deformity: a rare etiology for maxillofacial disturbances and treatment strategy with teamwork- Journal of international oral health. 2011; 3:6:23 – 31
- Orthodontic management of Class‑I malocclusion with invisible brackets- Case series. Journal of Dental and Oro-facial Reaserch.2012: 8:2:16 – 21
- A Non-Extraction Management of Highly Placed Maxillary Canine — A Case Report- International Journal of Health Sciences and Research. October 2012; 2:7:105 – 10
- Treatment of a skeletal Class III malocclusion with combined orthodontic and surgical approach: A case report- Journal of Dental and Oro-facial Research. December 2012; 8:2: 28 – 35
- Correction of a Severe Class III malocclusion with orthognathic surgery: A case report. International Journal of current research 2013. Vol 5(1):133 – 135
- Molar distalization by using a skeletal anchorage system: A case report. IJHSR June 2013; 3:6:97 – 104
- Dento – Alveolar distraction osteogenesis for rapid orthodontic treatment –case report. IJCDS Nov 2013; 4:2:1 – 6.
- Dentoalveolar distraction osteogenesis for rapid orthodontic canine retraction. JIOH Nov- Dec 2013; 5 (6):4 ‑14.
- Influence of second premolar extraction on the third molar angulation’’- A retrospective radiographic in vitro study. IJHSR Vol. 4, Issue, 12, pp.1934 – 1938, December 2013
- Evaluation of condylar asymmetry in different skeletal patterns in post adolescents. IJOCR Jan – Mar 2014; vol 2: Issue 3: 1 – 6
- To compare shear bond strength of brackets using different conventional composites with self-etching primer and its effect on early orthodontic loading: An invitro study. IJHSR Vol 5, Issue 1; pp.172 ‑180, January 2015.
- A “new vista” in the assessment of antero-posterior jaw relationship, Year: APOS trends in orthodontics, 2015 | Volume: 5 | Issue: 4 | Page: 151 – 155
- Ultrasonic (Application of Ultrasound in Orthodontics). Journal of Dental and Orofacial Research. Vol 12; Issue 1; 30 – 32; Jan 2016
- A Cephalometric Study on Effectiveness of Orthodontic Treatment of Bimaxillary Protrusion with Premolar Extraction- A Retrospective Study. IJCR Vol 8, Issue 3; pp.27601- 609, March 2016.
- Lasers in Orthodontics. Journal of Dental & Oral-facial Research Vol 12 Issue 02 Aug 2016
- Photographic Assessment of Cephalometric Measurements in Skeletal Class II Cases: A Comparative Study.
- Equation between Incisor Inclination Correction and Anteroposterior Movement of Point A to determine the Actual Magnitude of Maxillomandibular Difference. World Journal of Dentistry, July- August 2017;8(4):300 – 303
- Orthodontic Displacement and Stress Assessment: A Finite Element Analysis. World Journal of Dentistry, September-October 2017;8(5):407- 412
- Assessment of Stress and Strain in Alveolar Bone during Upper Midline Diastema Closure using Finite Element Method: Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2018 Sep, Vol-12(9): ZC30-ZC33
- Stress and Displacement Pattern in the Maxilla and the Mandible with Reverse Twin Block: A Finite Element Analysis: Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2018 July, Vol-12(7): ZC24-ZC30
- B K Venkataraman Award for Best Outgoing student of the batch of BDS 1990
- Dr C V Mohan Award for Best Preclinical student for the BDS Batch of 1988
- Best Professor Award at MSRDC by GEF (M)
- President Elect of Indian Orthodontic Society at AGM held at Indian Orthodontic Conference at Kochi Dec’18
- Chief Convener of Bangalore Orthodontic Study Group
- Worked as an Elected Executive Committee member of Indian Orthodontic Society for 6 terms (2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017) within the IOS EC, the responsibilities held were:
Chairman: Disciplinary and Grievance Redressal Committee (2018)
Chairman: Public Relation & Communication Committee (2017)
Chairman: Constitutional Committee Member: (2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018)
Chairman of New Journal Review Committee (2014)
- Pivotal in ideating, planning and executing Conferences, Conventions & Workshops at National Level and managed following responsibilities:
Organising Chairman: 5th Indian Lingual Orthodontic Conference, 2017, Bangalore
Organising Chairman: National Integrated Typodont Workshop 2017, Bangalore
Organising Chairman: BOSG International Symposium, 2017, Bangalore
- Chief Adjudicator of Orthodontist Premier League (2016−2017,2017−18, 2018 – 19)
- Chief Editor, IOS Bulletin (2016−17)
- Organising Chairman: Practice Management & Ethical Marketing Symposium 2016, Bangalore
- Founder Member & Chief Convener of Bangalore Orthodontic Study Group (BOSG), Awarded the “Best Study Group for the year 2011, 2013 and 2017
- UG, PG & Ph.D. Examiner to various prestigious colleges across the country under Govt. Health, Deemed & Private Universities
- DCI Inspectors FOR BDS & MDS for most of the Prestigious Dental Colleges across the country
- Attained 1st Rank in First BDS, Second BDS and Third BDS
- Passed MDS with Distinction
- President of Indian Orthodontic Society 2019 – 20
IOS Life member LM-0666, IDA