Mr. Kiran Kumar B M is an Assistant Professor with the Department of Electrical Engineering, RUAS. He has acquired an interesting blend of teaching, research and industry experience in a span of 6 years. He is now pursuing a Doctor of Philosophy degree in Power Electronics. The focus areas of his research are power electronics, grid tied inverters, renewable energy sources and robotics.
He has studied Electrical and Electronics Engineering for his Bachelor’s degree and Computer Applications in Industrial Drives for his Master’s degree. He was top ranked as a Coach in the National Competition of World Robotic Olympiad 2016 held in Kolkata. He received the Best Project Award for his MTech final year project titled “Drive and Control for a Robotic Feeding Arm” (MSRIT 2013 – 2014). He also designed and demonstrated a mini project titled “Beetle Robot” at the College Day Annual Festival, HKBKCE (2011) for which he was awarded the first place.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) – Pursuing
M S Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bangalore
Master of Technology (M.Tech.) in Computer Applications in Industrial Drives
MSRIT, Visvesvaraya Technological University, Bangalore
Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Visvesvaraya Technological University, Bangalore
Total years of Experience :
Academic Experience : 6 Years
- Assistant Professor in Department of Electrical and Electronics
Engineering — Sir M Visvesvarya Institute of Technology, Bangalore — 1 Year (2014 — 2015)
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering — Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences — Bangalore — 5 Years (2015 ‑Present)
Research and Industry : 10 Months
- Visiting Student/Research Assistant at Raman Research Institute,
Bangalore. From September 2013 to May 2014.
Research InterestPower Electronic Converters, Renewable Energy Sources and Robotics
Power Electronics, Robotics, Electrical Circuits and Digital Logic Circuits
- Control Systems and Robotics
- Power Electronics
- Grid Tied Inverters
International Conference Papers: 6
- T. S. Shilpashree, Kiran Kumar B M and S. Pranupa, “A Comparative Study of Performance Analysis of Solar PV With Interleaved DC-DC Converters,” 2021 International Conference on Recent Trends on Electronics, Information, Communication & Technology (RTEICT), 2021, pp. 1 – 6, doi: 10.1109/RTEICT52294.2021.9573809.
- Kiran Kumar B M, N. J. Thanusha, S. Hiremath, K. Soujanya, B. C. Vanishree and G. U. Navadeep, “A Solar Powered Kiosk for Contactless Body Temperature Sensor and Hand Sanitizer Dispenser to Monitor and Control Covid-19 Disease,” 2021 International Conference on Recent Trends on Electronics, Information, Communication & Technology (RTEICT), 2021, pp. 884 – 888, doi: 10.1109/RTEICT52294.2021.9573663
- Harsha, A.R., Pranupa, S., Kiran Kumar B M., Rao, S.N. and Indira, M.S., 2020, October. Arduino based V/f Drive for a Three Phase Induction Motor using Single Phase Supply. In 2020 International Conference on Smart Technologies in Computing, Electrical and Electronics (ICSTCEE) (pp. 90 – 94). IEEE
- Aditya Jain, V Balaji, R Rohitha, Kiran Kumar., 2019. Design and Development of Solar Powered Automatic Grain Dryer for Storage, IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing, VLSI, Electrical Circuits and Robotics (DISCOVER) (pp. 1 – 5). IEEE.
- M Meghana, Kiran Kumar, Ravikant Verma, Divya Kiran., 2019. Design and Development of Real-Time Water Quality Monitoring System, 2019 Global Conference for Advancement in Technology (GCAT) (pp. 1 – 6). IEEE.
- Kruthika K., Kiran Kumar B. M, and Sanjay Lakshminarayanan, S., 2016, October. Design and development of a robotic arm. In 2016 International Conference on Circuits, Controls, Communications and Computing (I4C) (pp. 1 – 4). IEEE. (Scopus Indexed)
International Journal Papers: 7
- B M Kiran Kumar, M S Indira, S Nagaraja Rao, Performance analysis of multiple gain boost converter with hybrid maximum power point tracker for solar PV connected to grid, Clean Energy, Volume 5, Issue 4, December 2021, Pages 655 – 672. https://doi.org/10.1093/ce/zkab037 (Scopus Indexed Journal)
- Kiran Kumar B M, Indira, M.S. and S Nagaraja Rao, 2021. Mathematical Modeling and Evaluation of Performance Characteristics of a Hybrid Solar PV and Wind Energy System. Journal of Applied Science and Engineering, 25(4), pp.685 – 697. https://doi.org/10.6180/jase.202208_25(4).0014. (Scopus Indexed and ESCI Journal)
- Sanjay L, S. Kiran Kumar B M, Nagaraja Rao, Pranupa S., 2021. Current Mode Control of Single Phase Grid Tie Inverter with Anti-Islanding. International Journal of Power Electronics and Drive Systems (IJPEDS), Vol. 12, No. 1, March2021:pp.241 – 248. http://doi.org/10.11591/ijpeds.v12.i1.pp241-248. (Scopus Indexed Journal)
- Rao, S.N., Rohith, H.M. and Kiran Kumar B M., 2020, December. Reduced switch z‑source multilevel inverter using constant boost control methods for renewable energy sources. In Journal of Physics: Conference Series (Vol. 1706, No. 1, p. 012104). IOP Publishing. (Scopus Indexed Journal)
- S Nagaraja Rao, Pranupa S, Kiran Kumar B M, Indira M S., 2020. Design and Development of Three DoF Solar Powered Smart Spraying Agricultural Robot, Journal of Test Engineering and Management, Vol. 83, pp. 5235 – 5242.
- Pranupa S, Kiran Kumar B M, S. Nagaraja Rao, 2018. Detection of Rotating Diode Failure Condition & its Protection in Brushless Alternator. International Journal of Engineering & Technology (IJET-UAE), 7(4.24), pp.26 – 32. (Scopus Indexed Journal)
- S. Nagaraja Rao, Kiran Kumar B M, Pranupa S., 2018. Three Phase Diode Clamped Multilevel DC Link Inverter with Multi Reference Modulation Techniques. Journal of Advanced Research in Dynamical and Control Systems (JARDCS), Vol. 10, No.9, pp. 1793 – 1805. SJR Factor: 0.114. (Scopus Indexed Journal).
Book Chapters: 3
- Nagaraja Rao S., Kiran Kumar B.M., Nair S. (2022) Three-Level Modified Capacitor-Assisted Extended Boost Z‑Source Multilevel Inverter for Photovoltaic Applications. In: Bansal R.C., Agarwal A., Jadoun V.K. (eds) Advances in Energy Technology. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, vol 766. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978 – 98…
- Kiran Kumar B.M., Indira M.S., Nagaraja Rao S. (2021) Performance Evaluation of Solar PV Using Multiple Level Voltage Gain Boost Converter with C‑L-C Cell. In: Mekhilef S., Favorskaya M., Pandey R.K., Shaw R.N. (eds) Innovations in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, vol 756. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978 – 98…
- Swathy Nair, Prajwal S, S Nagaraja Rao and Kiran Kumar B M. Performance Analysis of a High Gain Quasi Z‑Source Network based Cascaded H‑Bridge Multi-Level Inverter. In International Conference on Distributed Computing and Optimization Techniques ICDCOT – 2021.
National Journal Papers: 1
- Nagaraja Rao, S., Kiran Kumar, B.M., Mahesh, M. and Himanshu Mishra, R.K., IoT Based Irrigation System Powered by Solar Energy. SasTech, Vol. 19, Issue 2, pp.13 – 17.
International Conference Paper Presentations: 03
- Oral presentation in “International Conference on Circuits, Controls, Communications and Computing (I4C)”, 04 – 06th October, 2016, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
National Conference Paper Presentations: 01
- Oral presentation in “National Conference on Emerging Trends in Power, Energy and Control (ETPEC’18), 10 – 11 August, 2018, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, India.
- Network Analysis and Synthesis
- Digital Logic Circuits
- Power Electronics
- Basic Electrical Engineering
- Transmission and Distribution
- Modern Control Theory
UG Thesis Advised: 10
- A Smart Pesticide Spraying Agricultural Robot
- Design and Development of Remote Controlled Lawn Mower Robot
- Design and Development of Three DoF Solar Powered Smart Spraying Agricultural Robot
- Design and Development of Real Time Water Quality Monitoring System
- Design and Development of Shape Memory Alloy Aided Prosthetic Arm
- Design and Development of a Solar Powered Automatic Grain Dryer for Storage
- Development of Solar Powered Semi- Autonomous Trash Collector Robot
- Design and Development of Non-invasive near Infrared Sensor Based Alcohol Level Detector
- A Solar Powered Kiosk for Contactless Body Temperature Sensor and Hand Sanitizer Dispenser with Automatic Exit Flip Gate
PG Thesis Advised: 4
- Design and Development of Robotic Arm
- Solar and Wind Hybrid System for Multistory Buildings
- A Comparative Study of Performance Analysis of Solar PV With Interleaved DC-DC Converters
- Semi-Automatic Cocoon Sorting Machine for Grainage Centre
- Received an honorarium of $ 1000 USD from National Institute of Clean-and-low-Carbon Energy (NICE), CHINA for paper titled “Performance analysis of multiple gain boost converter with hybrid maximum power point tracker for solar PV connected to grid” which has been published by Oxford University Press in the journal, “CLEAN ENERGY” in order to encourage good publications.
- Secured First rank as a Coach in National Competition of World Robotic Olympiad 2016 held at Kolkata during October 2016
- Honored with Best Project Award for M.Tech final year project titled “Drive and Control for a Robotic Feeding Arm” from MSRIT for the academic year 2013 – 2014
- Designed and demonstrated a mini project titled “Beetle Robot” at College Day Annual Festival – 2011, HKBKCE and secured first place
- Represented RUAS in International Competition of Word Robotic Olympiad 2016 held at Delhi during November 2016
- Guided a project titled “Line Following Robot” and secured 3rd Place in “ROBODIUM @ASE-RASE’17”, National Level Robotic Competition held at Amrita Vishwa Vidtapeetham University, Bangalore campus on 8th and 9th of April 2017
- Student Chair, IEEE Student Branch, Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bangalore
- Have been selected under MHRD, Govt. of India for the financial assistance for the period 1 – 1‑2013 to 1 – 6‑2014
IEEE Student Member