Dr Suresh R is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, RUAS. He has organized several national and international conferences and workshops in the field of material science and manufacturing. His passion for research runs deep into areas such as the processing of hard materials, traditional and non-traditional machining, metal matrix composites and optimization techniques. He has authored more than 50 international/national journal and conference papers and received research grants worth over Rs 60 lakhs from AICTE and KCTU, GoK. In 2015, he received “Outstanding Scientist Award” (Engineering/Machinability of Hardened steels) from the Centre for advanced Research and Design. He is an official reviewer of original research articles in the field of materials, machining and machinability of hard materials. He is also a member of MISTE, SAE India and other Professional Societies, and is an active consultant to many reputed manufacturing industries and R&D organizations.
He received his Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from Kuvempu University in 1995. He was awarded Master of Technology in 2002 and Doctoral degrees in 2013 from UBDT College of Engineering, Davangere.
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering
UBDT College of Engineering, Davangere, Kuvempu University
M. Tech n Production Engineering System Technology
UBDT College of Engineering, Davangere, Kuvempu University
B.E in Mechanical Engineering
Kuvempu University, Shimoga
Total Experience: 24.5 Years
Teaching: 18 years
Industry: 6.5 years
Production Engineering — Revathi Engineering ℗ Ltd., Bangalore (May1995 to Nov. 1996)
Production and Planning Engineering — Hoshi ToolsLtd., Bangalore (Dec.1996 to Sept.2000)
Senior Lecture — S.J.M. Institute of Technology, Chitradurga (Sept. 2002 to Aug. 2008)
Senior Lecture — RV College of Engineering, Bangalore (Sept. 2008 to Dec.2008)
Assistant Professor — BTL Institute of Technology, Bangalore (Jan. 2009 to June 2011)
Associate Professor — Canara Engineering College, Mangalore (July 2011 to June 2013)
Associate Professor — Alliance University, Bangalore (July 2013 to June 2016)
Associate Professor — M.S. Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bangalore (July 2016 to till date)
Research Interest: Characterization of Metal matrix Composites, Hard materials, Coating and Advanced Welding Techniques
Research Expertise: Materials Characterization, Metal matrix Composites, Machinability of Advanced materials, Thermal Spray coating and welding process
- Characterization of Metal matrix Composites
- Machinability of Advanced materials
- Thermal Spray coating and welding process
- Coating and Advanced Welding Techniques
- Hard materials
- “Investigations on Machining characteristics of hardened Steels”
National Conference Papers:
- R. Suresh , Optimization of Process Parameters in Submerge Arc Welding of Low Carbon Alloy Steel Joints using Statistical Techniques, 2017, National Welding Meet ‑2017,(NWM-2017) 12 – 13th May 2017, Bangalore
International Conference Papers:
- R Suresh, L. Shivaramu, T.N.Srikanth Dath, Effect of Process Parameters on Cutting Forces and Surface Roughness in Machining of DSS 2205 Using Taguchi’s Approach, GTMES-2018, Haasan, Karnataka.
- M. Srinivas, R Suresh, L. Shivaramu, Processing of Nickel-Copper Coated Carbon Fibre Rods reinforced Al6082/4%Al2O3/2%Gr matrix composites, ICRAMMT-2018, Hyderabad.
- P.S. Nanjundappa, R. Suresh, N.Sandeep,Reduction of Drying Cycle Time in the Manufacturing of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients using Vacuum Dispersion Technique, 2ndWorld Congress On Drug Discovery And Development –2018”, Bangalore
- R.Suresh, T.N.Srikanth Dath, R.Suraj, S.Vignesh, Study of wear behavior of Al2219/B4C/Gr Metal Matrix Composites using Statistical Analysis, 30 – 31stMarch ICAMMAS-2017, Chennai.
- R. Suresh, Sohit Reddy. K, Karthik Shapur, Abrasive Jet Machining for Micro-hole drilling on Glass and GFRP Composites”, ICMPC 2017, Hyderabad
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, V. N Gaitonde, ‘Effect of Cutting speed and Feed rate on Surface integrity in Turning of Hardened AISI 4340 steel using coated Carbide Inserts’, Indo-Malaysia joint venture “International Conference on Modern, Intelligent andGreen Manufacturing” (ICMIGM-2015) Dec. 11th to 12th 2015, ESEC, T.N., India
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, ‘Investigations on Machinability Characteristics of Hardened H13 Steel Turning with Continuous and Interrupt Surfaces using Coated Carbide Inserts’, 5th and 26th International Conference on Manufacturing Technology, Design and Research (AIMTDR 2014) Dec. 12th to 14th 2014, . IIT Guahati, Assam, India
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, ‘Turning of Hardened H13 Steel with Interrupted and Continuous Surfaces using Multilayer Coated Carbide Tool’, International Colloquium on Materials Manufacturing and Metrology (ICMM-2014), Aug. 8th and 9th 2014, pp. 539 – 544. IITM, Chennai, T.N.
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, ‘Effect of Process Parameters on Tool Wear and Surface Roughness during Turning of Hardened Steel with Coated Ceramic Tool’, International conference on advanced manufacturing and materials Engineering (ICAMME-2014), NITK, Surathkal, Mar. 27 – 29th 2014
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, ‘Tool wear and surface roughness prediction by response surface methodology in turning of hardened AISI H13 steel with coated ceramic tool’’, Int. Conf. on computer Aided Engineering (CAE-2013), 19th & 21th Dec. 2013, pp. 539 – 544. IITM, Chennai, T.N.
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, G.L. Samuel, ‘Predictive modeling of cutting forces and tool wear in hard turning using response surface methodology’, Int. Conf. on Modeling Optimization and Computing, (ICMOC-2012), 10th & 11th April 2012, Noorul Islam University, Kumarcoil, Kanyakumari (D), T.N.
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, G.L. Samuel ‘Force Prediction Model of Multilayer Coated Carbide Tool in Hard Turning of AISI 4340 Steel Using Response Surface Methodology’, Int. Conf. on Materials Processing and Characterization, (ICMPC-2012), 8th to10th March 2012, GRIET, Hyderabad.
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, G.L. Samuel, ‘Tool life, wear behavior and surface roughness in turning of hardened AISI4340 steel with ceramics and coated carbide cutting tools’, Int. Conf. on Recent Trends in Advanced materials, (ICRAM-2012),VIT University, Vellore, 20 – 22nd Feb.2012.
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, G.L. Samuel, ‘Influence of process parameters on surface, subsurface deformation and through thickness residual stress distribution in hard turning of AISI 4340 steel’, Int. Conf. on Operational Excellence for Global Competitiveness, (ICOEGC-2011),3 – 5th Feb. 2011, RVCE, Bangalore, Karnataka.
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, G.L. Samuel, ‘Effect of machining parameters on surface integrity in hard machining and its impact on functional performance’, Int. Conf. on Frontiers in mechanical Engineering, (FIME-2010),22nd May 2010, NITK, Suratkal, Karnataka
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, G.L. Samuel, ‘Design optimization of process parameters for turning of hardened AISI 4340 alloy steel based on Taguchi method’, Int. Conf. on Advanced materials, Manufacturing, management and Thermal Sciences, (AMMMT-2010), 18 – 19th Nov. 2010, SIT, Tumkur, Karnataka
National Journal Papers:
- R. Suresh, T.N. Srikantha Dath, (2018), Prediction of Submerge Arc Welding Process Parameters through Grey Relation Analysis, SASTech journal, V‑17(1), pp. 29 – 32, (ISSN: 2249 – 5924)
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, G.L. Samuel (2012), ‘Force Prediction Model of Multilayer Coated Carbide Tool in Hard Turning of AISI 4340 Steel Using Response Surface Methodology’, Int. Journal of Advanced Materials Manufacturing and Characterization, Vol‑5, pp. 56 – 61. (ISSN: 2277 – 3886)
International Journal Papers:
- Giridhar S. Kulkarni, G. S. Shivashankar, R. Suresh, and N. G. Siddeshkumar, (2019)Dry sliding wear behavior of GFRP with liquid silicon rubber and reinforced with fine silica powder by Taguchi approach, AIP Conf.Proc.,Vol-2057, 020056https://aip.scitation.org/doi/…
- R. Suresh, K. Sohit Reddy, Karthik Shapur, (2018),‘Abrasive Jet Machining for Micro-hole Drilling on Glass and GFRP Composites’ Materials Today Proc., Vol. 5, pp. 5757 – 5761. M https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matp…
- M. Ravikumar, H.N. Reddappa, R. Suresh, (2018), Study on Mechanical and Tribological Characterization of Al2O3/SiCp Reinforced Aluminium Metal Matrix Composite, Silicon Journal, Vol-10 (6), pp. 2535 – 2545. Impact Factor: 1.246, (Springer Pub.),https://link.springer.com/arti…
- N.G. Siddesh Kumar, G.S. Shiva Shankar, S. Basavarajappa, and R. Suresh, (2018),Wear Behaviour of Hybrid Metal Matrix Composites at High Temperature, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Research, V‑09 (3−4) PP. 151 – 167, (Nova Pub.)ISSN: 1943 – 8095
- RaviKumar, H.N. Reddappa H N, R. Suresh, (2018), ‘Effect of Heat Treatment on TensileStrength of Al7075/Al2O3/SiCp Hybrid Composite by Stir Casting Technique, Materials Today Proc., Vol. 5 (10-P3), pp. 22460 – 22465https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matp…
- M. GangadharappaM. Gangadharappa, H.N. Reddappa, M. RaviKumar, R. Suresh, (2018), Mechanical and Wear Characterization of Al6061 Red Mud Composites, Materials Today Proc., Vol. 5 (10-P3), pp. 22384 – 22389. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matp…
- M. Ravikumar, H. N. Reddappa, R. Suresh, (Dec. 2018),Aluminium Composites Fabrication Technique and Effect of Improvement in Their Mechanical Properties ‑A Review, Materials Today Proc., Vol. 5 (11-P3), pp. 23796 – 23805.(Elsevier pub.)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matp…
- M. Ravikumar, H. N. Reddappa, and R. Suresh, (2018),Electro-chemical studies of Aluminium 7075 reinforced with Al2O3/SiCp hybrid composites in acid chloride medium, AIP Conf.Proc., V‑1943, pp. 020096:1 – 6https://aip.scitation.org/doi/…
- S.D. Kavitha, D.M. Shivanna, Sunil Kumar Kulkarni, R. Suresh, (2018),Effect of ramp rate on heat generating portion of composite sic heating elements, Int. Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, V‑9 (5), pp. 108 – 111https://www.ijser.org/research…
- M. RaviKumar, H.N. Reddappa H N, R. Suresh, (2018), Aluminium Composites Fabrication Technique and Effect of Improvement in Their Mechanical Properties –A Review, Materials Today Proc., Vol. 5 (11 ‑P3), pp. 23796 – 23805https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matp…
- N.G.Siddesh Kumar, G. S Shiva Shankar, S. Basavarajappa, R. Suresh, (2107)Some studies on mechanical and machining characteristics of Al2219/n‑B4C/MoS2 nano-hybrid metal matrix composites, Measurement, 107, pp.1 – 11, Impact factor‑2.6. (Elsevier Pub.)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meas…
- V.M. Ravindranath, G.S. Shiva Shankar, S.Basavarajappab, R Suresh, (2017) Optimization of Al/B4C and Al/B4C/Gr MMC Drilling Using Taguchi Approach, Materials Today Proc. Vol. 4, pp. 11181 – 11187https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matp…
- Ravikumar, M., Reddappa, H. N., Sreenivasa Reddy, M., R.Suresh, (2017),Effect of mechanical and wear behavior on Al7075/Al2O3/SiCp reinforced aluminum matrix composites (AMC)’, International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Research Technology, Vol-09, 94 – 101http://www.ijesrt.com/issues%2…
- Satish Kumar, N. Mohan, R. Sureshand Nitin K Khedkar, (2017), Effect of Cryogenic Treatment on Tool Steels, International journal of Advanced Research, 5(3) 1035 – 1045. http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJA…
- S. Manjunath, B.S. Ajay Kumar, R. Suresh, and K.G. Satyanarayana, (2016)‘Effect of Deep Cry-treatment on M2 face milling cutters on surface roughness during machining of Al 6351 jobs using Statistical Techniques’, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Research, Vol‑7 (3−4), 141 – 162, (Nova pub.)ISSN: 1943 – 8095
- VM Ravindranath, GS Shivashankar, Basavarajappa, R Suresh,(2016)Effect of Cutting Parameters on Thrust Force and Surface Roughness in Drilling of Al-2219/B4C/Gr Metal Matrix Composites, IOP Conf. Material Science and Engineering:, 149:012103https://iopscience.iop.org/art…
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, V.N. Gaitonde, (2015) Experimental studies on the performance of multilayer coated carbide tool in hard turning of high strength low alloy steel, Journal of Materials Research, Material Research Society,Vol. 30 (20), pp. 3056 – 3064, Impact Factor‑1.505, (Cambridge Pub.)https://doi.org/10.1557/jmr.20…
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, V. N. Gaitonde, G. L. Samuel, (2014) Analysis of cutting forces and surface roughness in Hard Turning of AISI 4340 Using Multilayer Coated Carbide Tool, Int. Journal of Machining and Machinability of Materials, Vol. 16(2), pp. 169 – 185, Impact factor ‑0.56 (Inder-science Pub.)https://doi.org/10.1504/IJMMM.…
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, (2014) ‘Effect of Process Parameters on Tool Wear and Surface Roughness during Turning of Hardened Steel with Coated Ceramic Tool’, Proc. Material Science, Vol‑5, pp.1450 –1459, (Elsevier Pub.)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mspr…
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, V. N. Gaitonde, G. L. Samuel, J. Paulo Davim, (2013) State of the Art Research in Machinability of Hardened Steels, Proc. IMechE., Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Vol. 227(2), pp.197 – 209, Impact factor ‑1.46, (Sage Pub.)https://doi.org/10.1177/095440…
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, G. L. Samuel, (2012) Some Studies on Hard Turning of AISI 4340 Steel Using Multilayer Coated Carbide Tool, Measurement, Vol-45 (7), pp-1872 – 1884. Impact factor‑2.23, (Elsevier Pub.), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meas…
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, V. N. Gaitonde, G. L. Samuel, (2012) Machinability investigations on hardened AISI 4340 steel using coated carbide insert, Int. Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials, Vol-33, pp-75 – 86, Impact factor ‑2.606, (Elsevier Pub.) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrm…
- R. Suresh, S. Basavarajappa, G.L. Samuel, (2012) ‘Predictive modeling of cutting forces and tool wear in hard turning using response surface methodology’, Procedia Engineering, , Vol-38, pp-73 – 81. Impact factor ‑0.705, (Elsevier Pub.) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proe…
Chapters in Books:
- R Suresh, Ajith G. Joshi, (2017) Investigations on Machinability Characteristics of Hardened AISI H13 Steel with Multilayer Coated Carbide Tool Using Statistical Techniques, Handbook of Research on Manufacturing Process Modeling and Optimization Strategies, IGI Publication, Chapter‑9, pp: 194 – 207, ISBN13: 9781522524403.DOI:10.4018/978 – 1‑5225 – 2440‑3http://www.igi-global.com/book…
INDIAN SOCIETY FOR TECHNICAL EDUCATION (ISTE)