Dr. Saraswathy G R is an Associate Professor at the Department of Pharmacy Practice under the Faculty of Pharmacy, RUAS. In addition, she heads the Pharmacological Modelling and Simulation Centre. As a results-driven professional with over 16 years of teaching experience, she has been handling projects and theory subjects for doctoral, postgraduate, and undergraduate students at the university. She studied for Ph.D. in Pharmacology at Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam (Women’s University), Tirupati (2012).
Her involvement in research has been extensive. Her exploratory studies at the university focus on Alzheimer’s disease, computer-aided drug designing, exploration of multiple disease-specific targets, and clinical research in psychiatry, gastroenterology, cardiology, and endocrinology. She has authored or co-authored and published 45 research papers in various reputed international and national journals. She has received a number of travel grants and scholarships for participating in international conferences.
Dr. Saraswathy has taken the lead in organizing seminars, workshops, and conferences on behalf of her faculty. She has lectured on and delivered training programs for workshops besides speaking at seminars organized in the university lectures on varied topics. She has also been invited to deliver talks and lectures at various external forums. She was the coordinator and facilitator for the Inter-Disciplinary Community Oriented Programme (IDCOP) and has provided medical services to remote villages. She remains an active member and contributor of the newsletter committee for the faculty and the university as well.
Sri Padmavati MahilaVisvavidyalayam (Women's University), Tirupati, India.
K. M. College of Pharmacy, Madurai, Tamil Nadu
K. M. College of Pharmacy, Madurai, Tamil Nadu
Total Years Of Experience :
Academic: 18 Years.
Trained in ECG interpretation.
Research Interests :
- Pharmaceutical care.
- Drug Repurposing.
- Systematic Review and Metaanalysis.
- Computational Biology.
Research Expertise :
- In silico drug discovery.
- Druggable target identification.
- Viswam Subeesh, Eswaran Maheswari, Hemendra Singh, Ganesan Rajalakshmi Saraswathy, Neha Reddy & Pudi Chiranjeevi (2020) Early prediction of clinical response in first-episode schizophrenia (FES) patients receiving olanzapine, International Journal of Psychiatry in Clinical Practice, DOI: 10.1080/13651501.2020.1757118.
- Hema Sree G N S, Saraswathy GR, Manikanta Murahari, R R Burri. Reappraisal of FDA approved drugs against Alzheimer’s disease based on differential gene expression and protein interaction network analysis: An in silico approach. Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics 2019 Oct 14;1 – 18. DOI: 10.1080/07391102.2019.1671231. (Impact factor- 3.31, accepted with revision, Taylor and Francis, Pubmed indexed).
- Halumatha Surendra ShreeShilpa, N. Naveen Kumar, EswaranMaheswari, HaraveShanmugamVirupaksha, ViswamSubeesh, GanesanRajalekshmiSaraswathy, RadhikaKunnavil. Deprescribing of benzodiazepines and Z‑drugs amongst the psychiatric patients of a tertiary care Hospital. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, Volume 44, August 2019, Pages 189 – 194. Impact Factor – 1.932, Pubmed, and Scopus Indexed.
- KumariSweta, DoorvaBhat, GanesanRajalekshmiSaraswathy, E. Maheswari. The Views of Indian Practitioners on Deprescribing. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2019 Jun;34(6):828 – 830. Impact Factor – 4.606, Springer, PubmedIndexed.
- HemaSree GNS, Saraswathy GR, ManikantaMurahari, Mamatha Krishnamurthy. Update on Drug Repurposing: The re-written saga of the drug’s fate. Biomed Pharmacother. 2019;110:700 – 716.Impact Factor – 3.743, PubmedandScopus Indexed.
- DoorvaBhuvanendraBhat, GanesanRajalekshmiSaraswathy, KumariSweta. Development and Validation of the Perceptions, Attitudes, and Challenges of Physicians TowardsDeprescribing (PACPD-12) Questionnaire. Journal of American Medical Directors Association. Volume 19, Issue 12,2018 Page: 1135– 1136.Impact Factor – 4.9, PubmedandScopus Indexed.
- Theivendren P, Kunjiappan S, Govindraj S, Chandrasekaran J, Pavadai P, Saraswathy GR, Murugan I. Graph Theoretical Analysis, InsilicoModelling and Formulation of Pyrimidine Nanoparticles as p38α MAP Kinases inhibitors: A Quantitative Proteomics Approach. Drug Res (Stuttg), 2019 Feb;69(2):100 – 110.– Pubmed and Scopus Indexed.
- TejaswiGummadi, VirupakshaShanmugamHarave, Lakshmi Narayan Aiyar, SaraswathyGanesanRajalekshmi, RadhikaKunnavil. Adverse drug reaction monitoring in a tertiary care psychiatry setting: a comparative study between inpatients and outpatients. Indian Journal of Psychological medicine 2017, Volume: 39, Issue: 3, Page: 306 – 3112017. Pubmed and Scopus Indexed
- A Lakshmi Narayan, HS Virupaksha, G Thejaswi, GR Saraswathy, V Madhavan, MuraliThyloth. A case report on varenicline induced delirium in an alcohol and nicotine-dependent patient. Indian Journal of Psychological medicine, 2015,37(3):355 – 357. Pubmed and Scopus Indexed.
- Maheswari E, Saraswathy GR, Santhrani T. Hepatoprotective and antioxidant activity of N‑acetyl cysteine in carbamazepine administered rats. Indian Journal of Pharmacology, 2014; 46(2): 211 – 215. Impact Factor – 1.04, Pubmed, and Scopus Indexed.
- Christina AJ, Saraswathy GR, Robert SJ, Kothai R, Chidambaranathan N, Nalini G, Therasal RL. Inhibition of CCl4- induced liver fibrosis by Piper longumLinn?.Phytomedicine. 2006;13(3):196 – 198. Impact Factor – 4.180, Pubmed Indexed.
- Benita Lisa Baji, Tamiya K, Saraswathy GR, Ann Mary Swaroop, MaheswariEswaran, ViswamSubeesh. Current trends in the pharmacological treatment of diabetic complications in a tertiary care setting. J. Res. Pharm. Sci., 2019; 10(1), 140 – 145. Scopus Indexed.
- NamrataBajracharya, Ann Mary Swaroop, SaraswathyGanesanRajalekshmi, Subeesh K Viswam, Maheswari E.“Incidence of DrugInteractions among patients admitted to the Department of General Medicine in a Tertiary care hospital”. J Young Pharm, 2018; 10(4): 450 – 455. Scopus Indexed.
- ViswamSubeesh, EswaranMaheswari, Saraswathy GR, Minnikanti SS, Ann Mary S. A Comparative Study of Data Mining Algorithms used for Signal Detection in FDA AERS Database. Journal of Young Pharmacists. 2018; 10(4): 444 – 449. Scopus Indexed.
- JacqulineElza Johnson, Prathap Raja Varma MAN, EswaranMaheswari, Saraswathy GR. Assessment of health and quality of life of children residing in selected shelter homes in Bangalore. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 2018; 8(04):084 – 089. Scopus Indexed.
- Jinin S. Mathew, M. R. V. Nandini, G. R. Saraswathy, ViswamSubeesh, EswaranMaheswari. Determinants of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) severity and Utilization of Proton Pump Inhibitors among GERD Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science Volume: 7, Issue: 11, November 2017. Scopus Indexed.
- EswaranMaheswari, Lydia Abraham, Chinju Susan Chacko, GanesanRajalekshmiSaraswathy, Arunachala Ramesh. Assessment of Pattern, Severity, and Outcome of Poisoning in Emergency Care Unit. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. December, 2016; 6(12): 178 – 183.Scopus Indexed
- Saraswathy GR, Maheswari E, Santhrani, Anbu J. Reversal of phenytoin induced hepatotoxicity by alpha-lipoic acid in rats. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2015; 9(7): 198- 204. Scopus Indexed.
- Saraswathy GR, Maheswari E, Santhrani T. Effect of Vitamin C supplementation on phenytoin induced behavioral abnormalities and regional lipid peroxidation in rats. IJPT. 2011; 3(2): 2248 – 2269. Scopus Indexed.
- Santh Rani T, Saraswathy GR, Maheswari, E, Sunil Kumar N, Hazarathiah T, Sowmya, KR, Dwarakanadha Kumar P, Ramesh B. Inhibition of CCl4 – induced liver fibrosis by Trigonellafoenumgraecum Linn. Natural Product Radiance. 2007; 6:1. Scopus Indexed.
- Santh Rani T, Latha P, Veena G, Madhavi M, Saraswathy GR, and Maheswari E. Treatment of HIV- infected diabetic patients. Pharmacologyonline. 2010; 3: 61 – 75. Scopus Indexed.
- Saraswathy GR, Maheswari E, and Santhrani T. Effect of Vitamin C Supplementation on Phenytoin Induced Hepatotoxicity. Global Journal of Pharmacology. 2010;4(3):127 – 135. Scopus Indexed.
- Maheswari E, Saraswathy GR, Santh Rani T, Narmada S. Comparative study on efficacy and toxicity of chemoradiotherapy and radiotherapy in head, neck, and cervix cancer patients. Pharmacologyonline. 2009; 1: 688 – 704. Scopus Indexed.
- Saraswathy GR, Maheswari E, SundaraSaravanan K, Raju A. Antitussive activity of Oldenlandiaumbellata on cough reflex induced by sulfur dioxide in mice. Pharmacologyonline. 2008; 3: 257 – 262. Scopus Indexed.
- Joshi MC, Raju A, Arulanandham A, Saraswathy GR. Hepatoprotective activity of Jasminumangustifoliumlinn. against CCl4 induced hepatic injury in rats. Pharmacologyonline. 2008; 3: 197 – 205. Scopus Indexed.
- Santh Rani T, Maheswari E, Saraswathy GR, Hema V, Rekha Y, Prapurna Chandra V, Kishanlal and Bhanuprasad K. Phytochemical and anti-inflammatory studies of Oldenlandiaumbellata. Asian Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology & Environmental Sciences. 2008, 10(2): 333 – 336. Scopus Indexed.
- SundaraSaravanan K, Saraswathy GR, Periyanayagam K, Ismail M, Kalyan SB, Jagan A. In vitro antifilarial activity of Caesalpinia bonduc (l) roxb. against microfilariae of Wuchereriabancrofti and macrofilariae of Setariadigitata. Pharmacologyonline. 2008; 2: 550 – 559. Scopus Indexed.
- SundaraSaravanan K, Periyanayagam K, Kalyan SB, Jagan A, Saraswathy GR. Anthelmintic activity of various extracts of leaf and fixed oil from the seeds of Caesalpinia bonduc (L) ROXB. Pharmacologyonline. 2008; 1: 82 – 89. Scopus Indexed.
- Sabina Yasmin, Ndumiso N. Mhlongo, Mahmoud E. Soliman, Saraswathy GR, VenkatesanJayaprakash. Comparative Design, In SilicoDockingand Predictive ADME/ TOX Properties of Some Novel 2, 4‑hydroxy Derivatives of Thiazolidine‑2, 4‑diones as PPARγ Modulator. Journal of Pharmaceutical Chemistry. Vol 4, No 2, 2017.
- J. Anbu, Anita Murali, R. Sathiya, G. R. Saraswathy, Mohammed Azamthulla. In Vitro Anthelmintic Activity of Leaf Ethanolic Extract of Cassia Alata and TyphaAngustifolia, Sastek, 41.
- Saraswathy GR, Virupaksha HS, Thejaswi G and Lakshmi Narayan A Blonanserin Induced Hypokinesia and Tardive Dyskinesia. J MolBiomarkDiagn 6:254.
- Saraswathy GR, Maheswari E, and Santhrani T. Protective Effect of Alpha Lipoic Acid against Phenytoin Induced Behavioral Abnormalities in Rats. Research Article: J MolBiomarkDiagn 2015, 6: 241.
- Maheswari E, Saraswathy GR, and Santhrani T. Effectiveness of alpha-lipoic acid as hepatoprotective and antioxidant. IJPCBS. 2015; 5(1): 242 – 248.
- AshokaBabu VL, Priyanka A, Saraswathy GR, Madhavan V. Evaluation of the wound healing potential of aqueous and ethanolic extracts of RhyncosiaBeddomei Baker leaves in Wistar rats. World J Pharm Sci. 2015; 3(2): 251 – 257.
- Anbu J, Ramya Krishna PS, Ramya HS, Vineeth Reddy, Sathiya R, and Saraswathy GR. Management of inflammatory bowel disease and experimental models established for evaluation- An update. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; 4(5): 1065 – 1086.
- Maheswari E, Saraswathy GR, Santhranii T. Influence of Vitamin E on Hepatotoxicity and Oxidative Stress. International Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Biosciences. 2015; 2(3): 30 – 38.
- Maheswari E, Saraswathy GR, Santhranii T. Effect of Vitamin C on Behavioral Abnormalities and Regional Brain Lipid Peroxidation. International Journal Of Pharmaceutical And Chemical Sciences. 2015; 4(1): 132 – 146.
- Saraswathy GR, Sathiya R, Anbu J, Maheswari E. Antitussive Medicinal Herbs — An Update Review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research 2014; 6(1): 12 – 19.
- Saraswathy GR, Maheswari E, Santhrani T, Anbu J. N Acetyl Cysteine Alleviates Phenytoin Induced Behavioral Abnormalities in Rats. IJPSR, 2014; 5(8): 3279 – 3292.
- Santh rani T, Maheswari E, Saraswathy GR. Carbamazepine provoked hepatotoxicity: attenuation by vitamin C. OxidAntioxidMed Sci. 2013; 2(1): 37 – 43.
- Santh rani T, Maheswari E, Saraswathy GR. Amelioration of carbamazepine induced oxidative stress and hepatotoxicity by vitamin C. Spatula DD. 2012; 2(3): 173 – 180.
- Suma BV, Natesh NN, Saraswathy GR, Madhavan V. Synthesis and pharmacological evaluation of some novel benzotriazoles derivatives containing pyrazolidinedione moieties. International Journal of Pharmacy & Therapeutics. 2012; 3(2):100 – 106.
- Santh rani T, Saraswathy GR, Maheswari E. Influence of Vitamin C on phenytoin induced haematotoxicity and oxidative stress in rats. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Innovation. 2011; 2: 32 – 39.
- Santh Rani T, Deepti V, Sowjanya N, Maheswari E, and Saraswathy GR. Study of the utilization pattern of antimicrobials in pediatric outpatients. J Pharm Res. 2007; 6(2): 104 – 107.
- Santh Rani T, Deepti V, Sowjanya N, Saraswathy GR, and Maheswari E. Utilization of antimicrobials in inpatients in a referral hospital. The Antiseptic. 2007; 104(10):508 – 512.
- Recipient of International travel grant for participating and presenting research work on “Drug Utilisation Evaluation of Proton Pump Inhibitors in Gastroenterology” at ‘International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research Conference’, Tokyo, Japan, during 8 – 11 September 2018.
- Recipient of scholarship for participating and presenting research work on “Drug Utilisation Evaluation of Anticoagulants in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation” at the ‘Asian Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology’ held at Queensland University, Brisbane, Australia, during 29 — 31 October 2017.
- Awarded Best Outgoing student award with first prize from KM College of Pharmacy, Madurai, affiliated to The Tamil Nadu Dr.MGR Medical University, Chennai during 2006.
- Recipient of Scholarship for M.Pharm., an academic project from The Tamil Nadu Pharmaceutical Sciences Welfare Trust, Chennai, India during 2003.
life member in Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India (APTI)
Indian Association of Colleges of Pharmacy.
International Society of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research
Association of Community Pharmacist of India.