Dr. Sakshi Shukla is an accomplished academic with a Ph.D. from the School of Liberal Arts at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India. Her research focuses on the intricate relationship between mobility, gender dynamics, and inequalities within the Indian Information Technology (I.T.) industry, applying a postcolonial gender perspective.
Sakshi holds a Master’s degree in Anthropology and has achieved significant academic milestones, including qualifying for the UGC-National Eligibility Test and Junior Research Fellowship. Her outstanding contributions were recognized with the International Honorable Mention Award for her Ph.D. Research Proposal, titled “Postcolonial Intersections in Digital India: Navigating Gendered Spaces in Information Technology,” by MAXQDA (Research for Change) in Germany. She has also been granted the MAXQDA Project Sponsorship and Global Research Scholarship at Chonnam National University, Gwangju, South Korea. Sakshi’s research has found its way into prestigious national and international journals and books, covering diverse topics such as Gender, Education, Reproductive Health, Intersectionality, and Mobility. Additionally, she has presented her work at numerous national and international conferences and participated in UGC-funded faculty development programs related to Digital Humanities.
In addition to her academic prowess, Sakshi has actively engaged in community service and held institutional responsibilities. She served as the Membership Director for the ROTARACT Club and the Youth wing of Rotary International. Furthermore, she played a significant role as a co-head of the Graduate Research Colloquium in the Department of Social Sciences and Humanities at the Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur. Sakshi’s exceptional abilities as an Anthropologist and Ethnographer are rooted in her extensive fieldwork experience, which has enriched her academic journey. Her commitment to academia and her community involvement collectively define her as a well-rounded professional.
B.Sc. in Botany, Zoology and Chemistry
Janki Devi Bajaj Govt. PG College, University of Kota
M.Sc. in Anthropology
University of Rajasthan
PhD in Gender Studies, Mobility, Postcolonialism and Intersectionality
Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur
- Gender and Sexuality studies;
- Mobility studies;
- Social Inclusion and Inequality;
- Intersectional Feminism;
- Ethnography and Qualitative research (Software: MAXQDA)
National Conference Papers
- Sakshi Shukla and Mayurakshi Chaudhuri (2021) “Work from Home for Women: Studying the impact of Covid19 on Women I.T. Professionals in India” The 46th Indian Sociological Society Conference (Virtual) on Constitution, Citizenship and Minority: Mapping Seventy Years of Indian Republic, University of Mumbai. India.
- Sakshi Shukla and Mayurakshi Chaudhuri (2019) “Postcolonial Intersections in Digital India: Navigating Gendered Spaces in Information Technology” The 45th Indian Sociological Society Conference on Environment, Culture and Development – Discourses and Intersections, University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India.
- Sakshi Shukla and Mayurakshi Chaudhuri (2018) “Modernity from the Margins: Gender, Mobility and Information Technology in India” The 44th Indian Sociological Society Conference on Reconstructing Sociological Discourse in India: Perspectives from the Margins, St. Philomena’s College. Mysuru, Karnataka. India
International Conference Papers
- Sakshi Shukla and Mayurakshi Chaudhuri (2021) “Through the Gender Prism: Examining Family and Marriage Dynamics for I.T. Professionals in India” 6th World Congress on Women- 2021 (Virtual), Indian Institute of Science. Bengaluru, Karnataka. India.
- Sakshi Shukla and Mayurakshi Chaudhuri (2019) “Negotiating Gender in InformationTechnology: A Postcolonial Perspective” 5th World Congress on Women-2019, Indian Institute of Science. Bengaluru, Karnataka. India
National Journal Papers
- Mayurakshi Chaudhuri, Sayantani S. and Sakshi Shukla (2023) “Perceptions of (In)Fertility in Rural Rajasthan: An Ethnographic Study. Country Women’s Association of India: Kolkata, India (Golden Jubilee Special Edition).
International Journal Papers
- Sakshi Shukla and Mayurakshi Chaudhuri (2021) “Intersectional Im/Mobilities: gender, family and information technology professionals in digital India” Applied Mobilities, Routledge: Taylor and Francis Group.
Books / Chapter Published
- Sakshi Shukla (2022) “Sarita Devi: A mother’s fight against her community to support her Daughter’s Education” Women Community Leaders and Their Impact as Global Changemakers edited by Prof. Goodman, Rehman and Zirui Yan, IGI Global Publishers: Pennsylvania, USA
- Sakshi Shukla (2022) “Gendered Private-Public Sphere Pursuit in Pandemic: Studying the impact of Covid19 on Women I.T. professionals in Postcolonial India” Covid-19 and Emerging Social Issues edited by Dr. Dey, ABS Books Publication: New Delhi, India.
- MAXQDA (Research for Change) International Honorable Mention Award for Ph.D. Research Proposal “Postcolonial Intersections in Digital India: Navigating Gendered Spaces in Information Technology” (2019)
- MAXQDA Project Sponsorship for Academic Year July 2019- June 2020 with Pro Student License. (2019)
- Global Research Scholarship, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, South Korea (2017)
- CBSE-National Eligibility Test for Assistant Professor-Anthropology, University Grant Commission, Government of India, India (2016).
- Junior Research Fellowship, University Grant Commission, Government of India (2016)
- Gargi Scholar Award, State Government of Rajasthan, India (2007)
Research Committee - Gender Studies, Indian Sociological Society
Asian Association of Women’s studies