Dr. Biswas received B.Sc. degree from Siliguri College (University of North Bengal) in 2013 and M.Sc. degree from Pune University in 2015. He did his M.Sc. specialization in condensed matter physics from Pune university. During M.Sc., he visited and worked in TCIS-TIFR as summer research fellow. At the same time, he had also worked on numerical techniques in IISER Pune. Before joining for Ph.D., he spent one year in physical research laboratory (PRL) and worked on BCS theory. After that, he joined to pursue Ph.D. in Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR) in 2016 and completed his Ph.D. degree in applied physics and Material science from JNCASR in July, 2021. After obtaining Ph.D., he continued to work in JNCASR as post-doctoral research associate. He has experience in computational study on thermoelectric and optoelectronic properties in bulk as well as layered materials. Currently, he is working on the role of electrons and phonons in studying solar cell and LED applications using the approaches such as density functional theory (DFT), ab-initio molecular dynamics (AIMD) and machine learning (ML) algorithms.
Siliguri College (University of North Bengal)
M.Sc. (Condensed Matter Physics)
Savitribai Phule Pune University
Ph.D. (Applied Physics, Materials Science)
Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR)
Total Years of Experience: 8
Operating systems: Microsoft Windows (like Word, Excel, PowerPoint e.t.c.), Linux (Fedora, Ubuntu etc.) and MacOS.
DFT Softwares: Quantum Espresso (QE), VASP, Gaussian, CP2K
Post-processing Transport Codes: LOBSTER, BoltzTrap, ShengBTE, EPW
Visual Softwares: XCyrSDen, VESTA, Gaussview, Xmgrace, GNU Plot.
Programming Languages: Fortran 90/95, Python, C++, Latex (Overleaf)
- Hot carrier dynamics for optoelectronics applications in organic/inorganic/hybrid materials.
- Composition and surface topology dependent carrier transport behaviour in layered and bulk material.
- Designing of ultrahigh dielectric material for energy storage and electronic devices.
- Estimate figure of merit (zT) of thermoelectric materials and understand the mechanism through appropriate descriptors.
- Study thermodynamic and dynamical stability of a compound using proper parameters.
- Analyse the theoretical understanding of vibrational spectra for layered as well bulk materials.
- Computational Study on the Role of Charge and Phonon Transport in Electronic and Thermoelectric Applications in a few Chalcogenides
International Journal Papers
- Biswas, R.K. and Pati, S.K., 2021. Realizing high Near-Room-Temperature Thermoelectric Performance in n‑type Ag2Se through Rashba Effect and Entropy Engineering. arXiv preprint arXiv:2103.15052.
- Ghosh, G., Biswas, R.K., Marjit, K., Ghosh, S., Ghosh, A., Pati, S.K. and Patra, A., 2022. Impacts of CsPbBr3/PbSe Heterostructures on Carrier Cooling Dynamics at Low Carrier Density. Advanced Optical Materials, p.2200030.
- Biswas, R.K., 2021. Computational study on the role of charge and phonon transport in electronic and thermoelectric applications in a few chalcogenides (Doctoral dissertation, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research).
- Biswas, R.K. and Pati, S.K., 2021. Achievement of strain-driven ultrahigh carrier mobility in β‑TeO2. Materials Research Bulletin, 141, p.111343.
- Dutta, M., Biswas, R.K., Pati, S.K. and Biswas, K., 2021. Discordant Gd and electronic band flattening synergistically induce high thermoelectric performance in n‑type PbTe. ACS Energy Letters, 6(4), pp.1625 – 1632.
- Biswas, R.K. and Pati, S.K., 2021. Exploring a Superlattice of SnO-PbO: A New Material for Thermoelectric Applications. ACS Applied Energy Materials, 4(3), pp.2081 – 2090.
- Shanbhag, P.N., Biswas, R.K., Pati, S.K., Sundaresan, A. and Rao, C.N.R., 2020. Elusive Co2O3: A Combined Experimental and Theoretical Study. ACS omega, 5(45), pp.29009 – 29016.
- Biswas, R.K. and Pati, S.K., 2020. Vibrational spectra of MO (M= Sn/Pb) in their bulk and single-layer forms: role of avoided crossing in their thermodynamic properties. Bulletin of Materials Science, 43(1), pp.1 – 10.
- Acharyya, P., Ghosh, T., Matteppanavar, S., Biswas, R.K., Yanda, P., Varanasi, S.R., Sanyal, D., Sundaresan, A., Pati, S.K. and Biswas, K., 2020. Broadband colossal dielectric constant in the superionic halide RbAg4I5: role of intercluster Ag+ diffusion. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 124(18), pp.9802 – 9809.
- Roychowdhury, S., Biswas, R.K., Dutta, M., Pati, S.K. and Biswas, K., 2019. Phonon Localization and Entropy-Driven Point Defects Lead to Ultralow Thermal Conductivity and Enhanced Thermoelectric Performance in (SnTe) 1 – 2 x (SnSe) x (SnS) x. ACS Energy Letters, 4(7), pp.1658 – 1662.
- Best Talk Award in JNCASR In-house Symposium-2020.
- Five years JRF and SRF by Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), 2015 with All India Rank — 26 .
- Lectureship (LS) awarded by CSIR in 2019 with AIR-182.
- JEST qualified in 2013 with AIR – 192 .
- Scholarship from WEST BENGAL Govt. named as MERIT-CUM MEANS SCHOLARSHIP.
- Five years research fellowship awarded by Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), 2015.