Dr Mamatha G Hegde heads the Department of Fashion Design under the Faculty of Art and Design, RUAS since 2018. Her association with the university began in 2014, when she joined the department as a faculty member and a year later, became the Quality Head (HSG). She continued in that role until being appointed as the HOD. Her research revolves mainly around studies of textiles fibres, yarns, fabrics, dyeing, printing, surface embellishments, designing and creation of fashion apparels and accessories, as well as smart, medical, agro and technical textiles.
She began her career in 1998 heading the Department of Fashion design and Garment design at Karavali College, Mangalore and five years later, the Department of Fashion & Apparel Design, T John College, Bangalore (2003 – 2008). She then joined as a Lecturer at the Department of Fashion and Apparel Design, Oxford College of Science, Bangalore in 2008. She was chosen to be a Project fellow for a UGC sponsored major project at the Department of Textiles and Clothing which was coordinated by Dr. S. Kauvery Bai at Smt V.H .D Central Institute of Home Science (2009 – 2012). On completing the project, she continued there as a Lecturer (2012 – 2014).
A Science graduate from Mangalore University (1996), she has acquired a number of degrees in quick succession. These include a Master’s degree in Science from Bangalore University (1998), UGC- NET CSIR (1998), ASRB – NET (2001) and a Doctor of Philosophy degree from Bangalore University (2013).
Total years of experience : 25 years
- Head Department of Fashion design and Garment design, Karavali College, Mangalore, 1998 — 2003 (5 years)
- Head Department of Fashion & Apparel Design, T. John College, Bangalore, 2003 — 2008 (5 years)
- Lecturer Department of Fashion and Apparel Design, Oxford College of Science, Bangalore 2008 — 2009 (1 year)
- Project fellow For the UGC sponsored Major Project in the Department of Textiles and Clothing, under the Project Co-coordinator Dr. S. Kauvery Bai, Smt V.H .D Central Institute of Home Science 2009 — 2012 (3 Years)
- Lecturer Department of Textiles & Clothing, Smt V.H.D Central Institute of Home Science Bangalore 2012 — 2014 (1 ½ years)
- Faculty Department of Fashion Design, FAD, RUAS, July 2014 — October 2015
- Quality Head (HSG) RUAS November 2015 — May 2018
- Head Department of Fashion Design, FAD RUAS June 2018 — present
- Faculty Development Training by International Academy for Creative Teaching by IACT Bangalore from 20th June 2003 to 21st June 2003.
- National Level UGC Sponsored “ Refresher course in Home science- 21 Days” from 28th June 2006 to 18th July 2006 by UGC Academic section, Bangalore University.
Research Interest : Textiles fibres, Yarns, Fabrics, Dyeing, Printing, Surface embellishments, Designing and creation of fashion apparels and accessories, smart, medical, agro and technical textiles
Research Expertise: Natural Dyeing, Embroidery and Designing
- Visited forward area (J &K) Leh, Base camp Siachen, Karu, Partapur in the year 2018 pertaining to Army Design Bureau project organized by Army Design Bureau, Govt of India
- Received the certificate of Excellence in reviewing Current Journal of Applied Science and Technology, Science Domain International 2019
Sponsored Projects Completed:
- Completed the Detailed Research on Textile Waste Management in the year 2020 as Prinicipal Investigator sponsored by Dept. Of Handloom and Textiles, GoK.
- Worked as Professional Subject expert for KSCST, Karnataka Geographical Indication related project of Ramaiah Intellectual Property Rights Cell pertaining to textiles related topics “Melukote Panche and Patteda Anchu sarees from 2021- 2022
National Conference Papers:
- “Dyeing of Silk fibre with Garcinia indica bark extract”, National seminar — ACTAPQ, Feb 2009, Pg No- 9, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu.
- “Eco- friendly dye for Infant clothing” – “National Conference on role of Home Science education and Interdisciplinary subjects”, July 2009, Pg. Nos- 91, Bangalore, Karnataka.
- “Extraction of Garcinia indica dye and its application on Ahimsa silk for women wardrobe” — “National Conference on occupational health and stress”, Feb 2011, Pg Nos-75 ‑79, Madurai, Tamilnadu.
- “Entrepreneurial avenues generated for silk dyed products using Garcinia indica extract”, “National convention- textile and apparel industry” August 2011, Pg Nos-27, Bangalore, Karnataka.
- “Dyeing of Organic Knitted cotton fabrics using Garcinia indica as a mordant”, National Conference ESSE February ‑2012, Pg No-41, Bangalore, Karnataka. International Conference Papers:
- “Comparative study on mordanting techniques”- International Conference, Team Tech textiles, April 2009, Pg Nos-22, Bangalore, Karnataka.
- “Sustainable green entrepreneurial avenues for fashion industry” — International Conference “Challenges and Opportunities for Developing Sustainable RUBAN Society, Dayanand Sagar Business Academy, February 2015, Pg No- ‑19, Bangalore, Karnataka.
- “Safe, innovative textiles for digital India plan”- International Conference on “Re-scripting India’s Growth Story” organized by CMS Business School, Jain University, April 2015, Pg 49, Bangalore, Karnataka.
National Journal Papers
- “Eco- friendly dyeing of organic cotton fabrics with Garcinia indica bark extract, Textile Trends, monthly Technical journal- April 2011, ISSN number 0040 – 5205, Vol-54, No‑1, Pg Nos- 37 – 41.
- “Mordanting of Ahimsa mulberry spun silk fabrics with Garcinia indica fruit extract”, Colourage, June 2011, ISSN-0010 – 1826, Pg Nos 73 – 77. http://connection.ebscohost.co… 11. “Application of Garcinia indica fruit extract as a mordant for dyeing of organic cotton fabrics for commercial natural colours”, Manmade textiles in India, June 2011, Vol XXXIX. Nos‑6, Pg Nos 195- 200.
- Cited by 1- Unique pretreatments and posttreatments for natural dyeing D Shukla, PS Vankar — … Dyes for Textiles: Sources, Chemistry and …, 2017 — books.google.com
- “Antibacterial activity of Garcinia indica dye”, Journal of the ‘Textile Association”, Nov- Dec 2011, Vol ‑72, No‑4, Pg Nos 238- 241. https://www.textileassociation…
- “Attitudes and acceptance of traditional Indian embroideries by adolescent Girls”, Textile Trends, monthly Technical journal- March 2015, ISSN number 0040 – 5205, Vol-57, No‑7, Pg Nos-49 – 53.
- “An overview on intelligent textiles and clothing’s growth and prospectus”, Journal of Textile Association, May/_June 2015,Vol 76, No‑1, Pg 15 – 18. https://issuu.com/textileasoci…
- “Sustainable green entrepreneurial avenues for fashion industry”, Journal of Research in Management, Dec 2015, Vol‑1,issue‑2, Pg 14 – 19 . 16. “Status of traditional Indian embroideries”, Manmade Textiles in India, March 2016, Vol XLIV, No‑3, Pg No 95 – 98.
- “Creation of future digital fashion world by interdisciplinary approach of the artisans – A Perspective”, Journal of Textile and Clothing Sciences, September 2018, Online ISSN: 2581 – 561X.https://www.jtcsonline.com/cre…
- 3B YAZICI TEKNOLOJİSİNİN TEKSTİL YÜZEY TASARIMINDA VE VÜCUT ASİMETRİLERİNİN GİDERİLMESİNDE GİYSİ DOLGUSU OLARAK KULLANIMININ İNCELENMESİ, Birsen Cileroglu Saliha Agac October 2019
- “Perceptive visualization on global fashion trends through innovative designing”, Journal of Textile and Clothing Sciences, March 2019, Online ISSN: 2581 – 561X, Vol. 1, issue‑4, Pg 1 – 4. https://www.jtcsonline.com/per…
- “Application of Nano and Micro encapsulation techniques on textiles improves the functional performance properties of an apparel – Pragmatic View” Textile Trends, monthly Technical journal- April 2019, ISSN number 0040 – 5205 Vol-62, No‑1, Pg No 32 – 36.
- “Introspection on Regional Traditional Textiles of India into Development of Innovative Fashion Costumes” — Peer Reviewed, Journal of Textile Association, May- June 2019, Vol-80, No‑1, ISSN ‑0368 – 4636, e ‑ISSN-2347 – 2537.Pg No- 20 – 24.
- “Development of Holistic, Healthy & Intelligent Clothing Cosset for Pre, Peri, Postnatal Mother & Infant” Journal of Textile and Clothing Sciences, June 2019, Online ISSN: 2581 – 561X, Vol. 2, issue‑2, Pg. Nos. 1 – 4.
- “Electromagnetic Frequency (EMF)shielded ensembles ”, Asian Textile Journal, April 2021, ISSN 09713425, Volume 30, No‑4, Pg. Nos. 38 – 40
International Journal Papers
- “Extraction of eco-friendly natural dye from Garcinia indica” Asian Dyer, Aug- Sep 2012
- “Smart Fashion for the future through biotech and nano ‑technology ‑an overview”, International Journal of Interdisciplinary Research and Innovations, Vol. 3, Issue 1, Pg. Nos. : (1- 4), Jan 2015
- “Application of Garcinia indica bark and fruit dye on organic knitted cotton fabrics”, Asian Dyer, Sep 2015, Pg. Nos. 28 – 34
- “Predicament of Pre and Post Textiles and Fashion Waste to the Planet- A Systematic Review”, Asian Textile Journal (ATJ), November 2018, ISSN: 0971 – 3425, Pg. Nos. 67 – 69
- “Eco — dyeing of Bamboo fabric with Teak wood Bark dye Extract and Printing with Gooseberry Leaves and Development of Infant wear” International Journal of Current Science” January — March 2022, Vol 12, Issue‑1. The journal is having ISSN number 2250 – 1770 and Impact Factor: 8.17
- “Eco- friendly Dyeing of Banana fabric using Coffee grains and Mordants ” International Journal of Current Science” January — May 2022, Vol 12, Issue‑2. The journal is having ISSN number 2250 – 1770 and Impact Factor: 8.17
- “Design and Development of Children’s Wear with Braille Script and Abacus using Banana fabric for Visually impaired Kids” ” International Journal of Science and Research, May 2022 Vol 11, issue 5, The journal is having ISSN number 2319 – 7064, SJIF (2022):7.942, DOI:10.21275/SR22520205419, Pg No’s 1509 — 1516
- “Design and Development of Cold Winter Jacket Using Three Layered Fabrics” International Journal of Current Science” January — May 2022, Vol 12, Issue‑2. The journal is having ISSN number 2250 – 1770 and Impact Factor: 8.17
- “Design and Development of Cold Climate Clothing using Madder root Natural dye in Cotton Fabric” International Journal of Creative Research Thoughts, Peer Reviewed, May 2022 Vol 10, issue 5, May 2022, The journal is having ISSN number 2320 – 2882, Impact Factor: 7. 97, UGC Approved Journal No 49023 (18) — , Pg No’s- h‑127 – 132
- “Design and Development of Parsi and Gota Embroidery on Party Wear” International Journal of Creative Research Thoughts, Peer Reviewed, June 2022 Vol 10, issue 6, The journal is having ISSN number 2320 – 2882, Impact Factor: 7. 97, UGC Approved Journal No 49023 (18) — , Pg No’s e 917‑e 923
- “Design and Development of Women Western Street Style Outfits Using Udupi Sarees” International Journal of Creative Research Thoughts, Peer Reviewed, June 2022 Vol 10, issue 6, The journal is having ISSN number 2320 – 2882, Impact Factor: 7. 97, UGC Approved Journal No 49023 (18) — , Pg No’s e 815- e 868.
Magazines/In house Journals Articles:
- “Dinandina badukinalli fashion” Karmaveera, Nov 2001, Pg. Nos 39 – 41
- “Textiles, fashion,garment design- Viswa marukatteyalli hosa minchu” Karunada Sanje, March 2004
- “Traditional Indian Embroideries”“ Samyoga” T. J.C Academic Journal, 2004, Vol‑1,Pg. Nos 28 ‑31
- “Textile, Garment and the fashion Industries : Post 2005” Samyoga” T. J.C Academic Journal, Feb 2005, Vol 1- No‑2, Pg Nos −54−55
- “ Latest Researches in Textile processing”“ Samyoga” T. J.C Academic Journal, July 2006, Vol‑2, No‑1, Pg Nos-29 – 32
- “Green clothing for infants”, Apparel views, — April 2011, Pg. Nos 74 – 76.
- “Organic knitted cotton clothing for tiny tots”, — Knitting views, — April 2011, Pg 28 – 30.
- “Eco ‑friendly and UV protective summer wear for toddlers”,- Stitch Times, May 2011, Vol‑9, Issue‑5, Pg. Nos −54−56.
- “Ahimsa mulberry spun silk outerwear for infants”, — Apparel views, July 2011, Pg Nos-48 – 49.
- “Anti-bacterial activity of Garcinia indica dye”, — Textile magazine, July 2011, Vol-52 Issue‑9, Pg Nos – 48 – 52.
- “Avenues for Garcinia”- News Highlights, Deccan Herald News, Feb 2012.
- “Eco designing for the future fashion”, Apparel views, Vol. 13, Issue 12, pp: (58, 59), — Dec 2014.
- “Application of Medicinal Dye (Turmeric and Annatto) on Silk Fabrics Using Eco- friendly Mordants”, MSRUAS-SASTech, January 2015, Pg No 33 – 36
- “An Overview of Integrating Art in Education ”, Education Today Magazine, 19 Jan 2021
National and International E- Conference Papers Published :
- “Covid – 19 Research Avenues – Self Reliance India 2020” Paper Book Proceedings at UGC STRIDE Sponsored National Webinar on Impact of n Covid ‑19 on Higher Education Trans- Disciplinary Research and Employability KLE Society’s S Nijalingappa College Bangalore-56010, Karnataka, PP 1 – 5
- “Conceptual Research on Design and Development of Hygienic and Protective Ensemble for High Altitude Areas” Proceedings of 1st International E‑Conference Advances in Textiles Engineering and Apparel Technology Book of Abstracts Journal of Textile and Clothing Science, ICEATAT 2020, Textile Academic Publishing, P‑5
- “Functionality and Performance Enhancements of Apparels by Integration of Smart fabrics and Surface Designing for the Present and Future Period” – Outlook Conference proceedings – AICTE Sponsored International E Conference 2020. – Recent Trends in Textiles, 18 and 19 Sep 2020, Pg Nos. 607 – 610.
- Presented lecture on the topic “Fashion forecasting” in Aryabharathi Polytechnic, Tumkur, Karnataka as a part of Indian Society for Technical Educations student chapter section on 22nd January 2015
- Presented lecture on the topic “Surface Embellishments of Fabrics and Apparels” in Two days Entrepreneurship Development Programme, held on 1st March 2019, in KASSIA, Bangalore, organized by Handloom and Textiles , Govt of Karnataka
- Addressed the audience as a guest of honour in the event of “Fashion fiesta 2019” organized by Aryabharathi Polytechnic in Kannada Bhavan, Tumkur on 25th March 2019
- Addressed the audience as a Chief Guest for annual Day Celebrations in Mahesha P U College, Bangalore, on 13th Dec 2019
- Delivered Key note address during the Virtual Inguaration of first International web Conference on Advances in Textile Engineering and Apparel Technology on 23 August 2020 and assessed and chaired for all the paper and poster presentations. Organised the conference as one of the Associate Editor of JTCS Journal
- Conducted webinar on “Eco- Friendly dyeing and Advances in Textiles and Garment Manufacturing” Organized by the Department of Apparel Design and Fabrication Technology, Ramaiah Polytechnic, Bangalore, on 24 May 2021
- Delivered webinar pertaining to Value added course- online mode on “Eco- Friendly Dyeing ” conducted by Dept. of Fashion Design, FAD , RUAS Technology, on 3 August 2021
Awards and Achievements
- Certificate of Merit and Overall proficiency, M.G.M College, Udupi, 1995 and 1996.
- Received “Rashtriya Gaurav Award” in June 2013 by International friendship Society, New Delhi.
- Received “Best citizen of India Award” in August 2013 by Best Citizen Publishing House, New Delhi.
- Received the Best paper award for in the National Conference on role of Home Science education and Interdisciplinary subjects “Eco- friendly dye for Infant clothing’ held in the year July 2009, Bangalore.
- Received the Best paper award (Second runner off) in the International Conference on “Challenges and Opportunities for Developing Sustainable RUBAN Society for the paper Sustainable Green Entrepreneurial Avenues for Fashion Industry,” 13 – 14th Feb 2015, Organized by Dayananda Sagar Business Academy, Bangalore.
- Received the “Best Bunt women achiever award” on behalf of International Women’s day celebrations organized by Bunts Sangha , Bangalore on 7th March 2015.
- Received “Outstanding Professor of RUAS award” on National science Day based on Women of Science Theme, on 28th Feb 2020, Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bangalore.
- Set up the academics and laboratories for B.Sc Fashion Design and Garment Design Programme in Karavali College, Mangalore (1998−2003)
- Established the laboratories and academic activities in the department of Fashion and Apparel Design, for B. Sc Fashion and Apparel Design Programme in T John College, Bangalore (2003−2008)
- Worked as Chairperson of Board of studies and Board of Examination for B.Sc Fashion design/Garment design/Leather Deign Mangalore University.(2001 – 2003)
- Worked as a Member of Board of Examination for B. Sc Fashion and Apparel design course, Bangalore University, Bangalore in the years 2006- 2007, 2008 – 2009, 2015 – 2016 and 2017 – 2018.
- Presently working as member of Board of Studies in Fashion and Apparel Design(UG), Bangalore University for a period of 3 years (26−5−2017 to 26 – 5‑2020)
- Presently working as a member of Board of Examination, B.Sc FAD, Bangalore Central University from 2019 – 2020
- Organized various fashion shows, exhibitions for Karavali utsava, Bangalore Habba, Khadi Fest, Inter Collegiate Fest etc.
- Introduced various value added programs, Certificate Courses, short term and one year diploma course related to fashion, garments and merchandising etc.
- Taken various corporate training for rural women related to tailoring, CAD, Embroidery and organized various summer training for children’s and teenagers. Organized one day workshop on 5th March 2011 for textile experts and industrialists to create first hand awareness about the newly invented natural dye from “Garcinia indica” extract.
- A report on Guest lecture presentation on ‘Fashion forecasting” conducted in Aryabharati Polytechnic, Tumkur was published local newspapers and monthly newsletter ‘Indian Society for Technical Education” Jan 2015 issue Vol 35 No 1. Pg No — 6
- Presently coordinating the activities of “ Centre of Excellence in Garment Design, Garment Manufacturing and Quality Control, established under the scheme of Nuthana Javali Neethi 2013 – 18, Dept. of Handloom and Textiles, Govt. of Karnataka from June 2018 to till date.
- Presented lecture on the topic “Surface Embellishments of Fabrics and Apparels” in Two days Entrepreneurship Development Programme, held on 1st March 2019, in KASSIA, Bangalore, organized by Handloom and Textiles , Govt of Karnataka.
- Addressed the audience as a guest of honour in the event of “Fashion fiesta 2019” organized by Aryabharathi Polytechnic in Kannada Bhavan, Tumkur on 25th March 2019
- Attended the Post Industrial Design Event “Hakathon” November 6th to 8th , 2019 organised by Faculty of Art, History, Cultural studies and Design, International School, Ural Federal University, Ekaternburg, Russsia as an subject expert.
- Attended as a Chief Guest for the Annual Day Programme “Siddartha Gouthama Mahesha P. U College, Rajajinagar. Bangalore, 13th Dec 2019.
Home Science Association of India, Karnataka Branch
Textile Association of India, Mumbai.
International Journal of Transformations in Business management and International Journal of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities
Member of Editorial Board
Journal of Textile and Clothing Sciences
Member of Editorial Board for