PhD in Aerospace Propulsion
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
M.Tech in Thermal Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
B.E in Mechanical Engineering
The National Institute of Engg, Mysore University
Total Years of Experience:
Academic Experience: 13 Years, 8 Months
- Associate Professor ‑M. S. Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
- Assistant Professor ‑Amrita School of Engineering [Deemed University], Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
- Lecturer- M.S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology (Autonomous), Bangalore, Karnataka, India
- Lecturer- Jagannath Institute for Technology & Management Parlakhemundi, Orissa, India
Industry Experience: 1 Year, 4 Months
- Shift Engineer- Arklite Specialty Lamps Ltd, Pune, India
- Trainee Engineer- Lucent Technologies / Finolex LTD., Pune, India.
Research Experience: 11 Year, 1 Month
- Research Associate- Indian Institute Technology Bombay, Mumbai
Propulsion, Internal & External Aerodynamics, Heat Transfer, CFD, Experimental Techniques, Flow Control, Electric Propulsion, Optimization
Aircraft Propulsion, Turbomachinery, Aerodynamics, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Experimental Techniques, Automation.
- “Enhancement of Aerodynamic Performance and Stability of a Low Speed Wind Turbine”, supported by Vision Group of Science and Technology (V.G.S.T), Dept. Information Technology, Biotechnology & Science and Technology, Karnataka Govt.; Grant: 40 Lakhs, Ongoing
- “Performance Enhancement of a Single Stage Transonic Axial Compressor through Reduction of Tip Leakage and Secondary Flow Losses” funded by Aeronautics R & D Board, Govt.of India, Ministry of Defence, Bangalore; Grant: 8.08 Lakhs, Ongoing.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
National Conference Papers
- Kalupukuri, H. K., Lokesh, B. M., Sarkar, S., and Varpe, K. M., 2017, ‘An Analytical Approach to Predict Temperature Distribution in Three — Phase Squirrel Cage Induction Motor’, Emerging Technologies in Electrical Rotating Machines and Drives, 14th — 15th September 2017, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, E1706026640‑1.
International Conference Papers
- Varpe, K. M. and Pradeep, A. M., 2013, ‘Numerical Investigation Of The Effect Of Moving Endwall and Tip Clearance on the Losses in a Low Speed Axial Flow Compressor Cascade’, Proceedings of the ASME 2013 Gas Turbine India Conference GTINDIA2013, December 5 – 6, 2013, Bangalore, India, GTINDIA2013-3596.
- Varpe, K. M. and Pradeep, A. M., 2014, ‘Non-Axisymmetric Endwall Contouring in a Compressor Cascade’, Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2014: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition GT2014, June 16 – 20, 2014, Dusseldorf, Germany, GT2014-26725.
- Subbaramu, S., Narahari, H.K. Varpe, K. M. and Nagpurwala, Q.H., 2016, ‘Effect of Tip Leakage and Secondary Flow Interaction on the Performance and Stability of a Transonic Axial Compressor Stage’, Proceedings of the Asian Congress on Gas Turbines ACGT2016 14 – 16 November 2016, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai, India.
- Subbaramu, S., Narahari, H.K. Varpe, K. M. and Nagpurwala, Q.H., 2017, ‘Effect of Rotor Tip Winglet on the Performance and Stability of a transonic Axial Compressor’, Proceedings of the ASME 2017 Gas Turbine India Conference GTINDIA2017 December 7 – 8, 2017, Bangalore, India, GTINDIA2017-4686.
- Sreekumar, P. and Varpe, K. M., 2019, ‘ Effect of Snubbers and Lacing Wire on Aerodynamic Performance of Last Stage Steam Turbine’, Proceedings of the ASME 2019 Gas Turbine India Conference, GTINDIA2019-2509.
- Deeksha, R. and Varpe, K. M., 2019, ‘Novel Tubercle Design for a Wind Turbine Blade Operating at Low Reynold’s Number”, Proceedings of the ASME 2019 Gas Turbine India Conference, GTINDIA2019-2541.
- Swasthika, D. S. and Varpe, K. M., 2019, ‘Effect of Tubercles Shape on the Aerodynamic Performance of a Wind Turbine Blade Operating at Low Reynolds Number’, Proceedings of the ASME 2019 Gas Turbine India Conference, GTINDIA2019-2548.
- Bhat, P. and Varpe M., 2021, “A Simplified Thermal Model to Estimate Temperature Profile and Heat Generation of Cylindrical Lithium-Ion Cells”, The First Biennial International Conference HEAT ’21, Hybrid and Electric Automotive Technologies, 29 – 30, October 2021, Bengaluru, India.
- Bapat A., Salunkhe P. and Varpe M., 2021, “Effect of Single and Multiple Protuberances on the Aerodynamic Performance of a Wind Turbine Blade”, Proceedings of the ASME 2021 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition IMECE2021.
- Subbaramu S. and Mahesh K. Varpe, 2021, “Effect of Airfoil Vortex Generator on the Performance and Stability of a Transonic Axial Compressor, , Proceedings of ASME 2021 Gas Turbine India GTINDIA2021, GTIndia2021-75881.
- Subbaramu S. and Mahesh K. Varpe, 2021, “Effect of Rotor Tip Casing Treatment on the Performance and Stability of a Transonic Axial Compressor, Proceedings of ASME 2021 Gas Turbine India GTINDIA2021, GTIndia2021-75882.
National Journal Papers
- Naresh, P., Nagpurwala, Q.H. and Varpe, K. M., 2016, ‘Performance Enhancement of a High Turning Axial Compressor Stator Blade Cascade through End Wall Boundary Layer Suction’, RUAS- SASTech Journal, 15(02), 1 – 4.
International Journal Papers
- Varpe, M. and Pradeep, A. M., 2013, ‘Investigation of the Shear Flow Effect and Tip Clearance on a Low Speed Axial Flow Compressor Cascade’, International Journal of Rotating Machinery, Vol. 2013, Article ID 490543, pp. 1 – 22.
- Varpe, M. and Pradeep, A. M., 2014,’Investigation of the Shear Flow Effect on Secondary Flow and Losses in a Low Speed Axial Flow Compressor Cascade’, International Journal of Gas Turbine, Propulsion and Power Systems, Vol. 6 (2), pp. 17 – 26.
- Varpe, M. and Pradeep, A. M., 2015, “Benefits of Endwall Contouring in a Compressor Cascade with a Tip Clearance”, Transactions ASME, Journal of Fluids Engineering, doi:10.1115/1.4028996, Vol. 137 (051101), pp. 1 — 15.
- Pavana, M.S., Subbaramu, S. and Varpe, K. M., 2017, ‘Aerodynamic Performance of a Ducted Propeller’, IEAE International Journal of Engineering, 6(5), pp.1 – 9.
- Sequeira A., Salunkhe P. and Varpe M., 2021, “Numerical Investigations on the Effect of Humidity and Water Ingestion on the Performance of a Subsonic Axial Flow Compressor”, U.P.B. Sci. Bull., Series D, Vol. 83(4), pg. 12.
- “RUAS Annual Exemplary Award for Research” – 7th Sept. 2020.
- Sr. Research Fellowship, ARDB Project at IIT Bombay, , Jan 2010- Dec 2014
- Institute Fellowship (PhD), MHRD, Govt. of India at IIT Kharagpur, 2005 – 2007
- Merit scholarship Kendriya Sainik Board at University of Mysore, 1995 – 1999