Dr Debashish Kar has 8 years of teaching and research experience and is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Biotechnology, FLAH, RUAS. He is keen to pursue research in the areas of Peptidoglycan Biology, Protein Engineering and Inhibitor Designing. Dr Kar has degrees in BSc (Physiology) (2005) from Midnapore College, Midnapore and MSc (Biotechnology) (2007) from Utkal University, Bhubaneswar. He was awarded an Institute (IIT Kharagpur) Travel Grant to participate in the Federation of European Microbiological Societies International Conference in the Netherlands (2015) and a CSIR Research Associateship (2015). He has a PhD degree in Biotechnology from IIT Kharagpur (2017). A recipient of the 1997 National Science Talent Scholarship from the Directorate of Education, Government of West Bengal, he received a DBT Junior Research Fellowship (2011) and Senior Research Fellowship (2013).
Ph. D. in Biotechnology
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur
M. Tech. in Biotechnology
West Bengal University of Technology, Kolkata
M. Sc. in Biotechnology
Utkal University, Bhubaneswar
B. Sc. in Physiology (H)
Midnapore College, Midnapore, West Bengal
Total years of Experience :
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Biotechnology — IIT — Kharagpur — 3 Years 6 Months (July 2013 – Dec 2016)
- Assistant Professor — AMITY Institute of Biotechnology, AMITY University — Ranchi — 1 Year (July 2017 – July 2018)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Biotechnology, FLAHS — Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences — Bangalore — 2 Year 2 Months ( Aug 2018 ‑Present)
Research and Industry Experience
- DBT Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) — 2011
- DBT Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) — 2013
- CSIR Research Associate-ship (RA) — 2016
Peptidoglyacn Biology, Protein Engineering, Inhibitor Designing
- Protein Engineering
- Inhibitor Designing
- Molecular Microbiology
Molecular characterization of DD-carboxypeptidases of Escherichia coli and
Klebsiella pneumoniae through mutation analysis
- Kar D & Ghosh AS, Active site groove volume influences the DD carboxypeptidase activity of Escherichia coli DacD. (communicated)
- Kar D, Dutta M & Ghosh AS, Weak deacylation efficiency of DacD is responsible for maintaining reduced beta-lactam resistance in Klebsiella pneumoniae. (communicated)
- Kar D, Pandey SD, Mallick S, Dutta M & Ghosh AS (2018), Substitution of alanine at position 184 with glutamic acid in Escherichia coli PBP5 Ω‑like loop introduces a moderate cephalosporinase activity. The Protein Journal 37(2), 122 – 131.
- Kumar G, Issa B, Kar D, Biswal S & Ghosh AS (2017) E152A substitution drastically affects NDM‑5 activity. FEMS Microbiology Letters 364, 2017, fnx008.
- Bansal A, Kar D, Pandey SD, Matcha A, Kumar GN, Nathan S & Ghosh AS (2016), A tyrosine residue along with a glutamic acid of the omega-like loop govern the β‑lactamase activity of MSMEG_4455 in M. Smegmatis. The Protein Journal 36, 220 – 227.
- Bansal A, Mallik D, Kar D & Ghosh AS (2016) Identification of a multidrug efflux pump in Mycobacterium smegmatis. FEMS Microbiology Letters 363, fnw128.
- Bansal A, Kar D & Ghosh AS (2015) A putative low-molecular mass (LMM) penicillin-binding protein (PBP) of Mycobacterium smegmatis exhibits prominent physiological characters of DD-Carboxypeptidase and beta-lactamase. Microbiology 161, 1081 – 1091.
- Dutta M, Kar D, Bansal A, Chakraborty S & Ghosh AS (2015) A single amino acid substitution in the Ω‑like loop of E. coli PBP5 disrupts its ability to maintain cell-shape and intrinsic beta-lactam resistance. Microbiology 161, 895 – 902.
- Kar D, Chowdhury C, Dutta M, Kumar A & Ghosh AS (2012) Moderate deacylation efficiency of DacD explains its ability to partially restore beta-lactam resistance in Escherichia coli PBP5 mutant. FEMS Microbiology Letters 337, 73 – 80.
- 2018 Kar D and Ghosh AS. Small active-site groove volume explains poor DD-carboxypeptidase activity of AmpH in E. coli. Poster presented in “2nd International conference (ICCAR 2018)” held at IIT Kharagpur, India (15−17 Dec 2018)
- Kar D and Ghosh AS. DacD, a LMM-PBP of Klebsiella pneumoniae shows weak DD-carboxypeptidase activity. Talk presented in “International Conference” held at NIT Rourkela, India (6−7 Dec 2018)
- Pal S, Kar D, Kumar G, Kumar A and Ghosh AS. Physiological role of the Low-Molecular-Mass Penicillin-Binding Protein DacC in Acinetobacter baumannii. Poster presented in “7th European FEMS International conference 2017” held at Valencia, Spian (9−13 July 2017)
- Kar D and Ghosh AS. Active site groove volume might influence the DD-carboxypeptidase activity of E.coli DacD. Poster presented in “6th European FEMS International conference 2015” held at Maastritch, Netherland (7−11 June 2015)
- Dutta M, Kar D and Ghosh AS. Klebsiella pneumoniae DacA homologue: A DD-Carboxypeptidase or Beta-lactamase? Poster presented at 53rd Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy organized by ASM, held at Denver, USA (10−13 Sep 2013)
- Bansal A, Kar D, and Ghosh AS. Molecular Characterization of a Putative Drug Efflux Pump MSMEG_2991 (Efflux Pump Permease) of Mycobacterium smegmatis. Poster presented in “SGM Autumn Conference 2013” held at University of Sussex, Brighton, UK (2−4 Sep 2013)
- Sharma SR, Sharma R and Kar D (2019), Novel microbial compound as a boon in health management, Applied Microbial Advancement in Life Sciences, Development of Biotechnology in Life Sciences. Cambridge Scholar Publishing, UK
- Sharma SR and Kar D (2018), An insight into plant Nanobionics and its applications, Plant Nanobionics, Nanotechnology in the Life Sciences. Springer Nature, USA.
- Debasish Kar and Anindya Ghosh, (2020) Molecular Study on DD-carboxypeptidases. Lambert Publication, Germany.
- Debasish Kar (ed.), (2021) Fundamental Notes Series — Concepts of Genetics. Springer Nature (In press).
- Debasish Kar (ed.), (2021) Fundamental Notes Series — Concepts of Cell Biology. Springer Nature (In press).
- Debasish Kar (ed.), (2020) UGC-CSIR NET Life Science. VIVA Books Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
- Debasish Kar (ed.), (2020) Replication of CSIR NET Life Science. VIVA Books Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
- Debasish Kar (ed.), (2020) Elements of DBT JRF Biotechnology. VIVA Books Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
- Debasish Kar (ed.), (2021) Comprehensive Life Sciences (Volume I). Publisher: VIVA Books Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi. ISBN – 9789390054886.
- Debasish Kar (ed.), (2021) Comprehensive Life Sciences (Volume II). Publisher: VIVA Books Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi. ISBN – 9789390054893.
- Debasish Kar (ed.), (2021) Elements of ICMR JRF Life Science. Atlantic Book Publisher, New Delhi.
- Debasish Kar (ed.), (2021) Elements of GATE Biotechnology. Notion Press Book Publisher, Chennai.
- Debasish Kar (ed.), (2021) Elements of GATE Biochemistry. Notion Press Book Publisher, Chennai.
- Debasish Kar (ed.), (2021) Elements of GATE Microbiology. Notion Press Book Publisher, Chennai.
- Debasish Kar (ed.), (2021) Elements of GATE Botany. Notion Press Book Publisher, Chennai.
- Debasish Kar (ed.), (2021) Elements of GATE Zoology. Notion Press Book Publisher, Chennai.
- Debasish Kar (ed.), (2021) Replication of GATE Life Science and Biotechnology. Notion Press Book Publisher, Chennai.
- Debasish Kar (ed.), (2021) Chemistry for GATE Life Science. Notion Press Book Publisher, Chennai.
- National Science Talent Scholarship by Directorate of Education, Govt. of West Bengal — 1997.
- GATE (organizer IIT Guwahati) — 2010.
- CSIR Research Associate-ship (RA) 2015.
- Travel Grant from IIT Kharagpur for FEMS International Conference, The Netherlands — 2016.
Royal Society of Chemistry, London
Bio Frontiers: Exploring the basics of Biological Science
International Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Research
Journal of Practical Biochemistry and Biophysics
Asian Federation of Biotechnology