Dr Aswathi R Hegde is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, RUAS. She has over 4 years of teaching experience. Her expertise includes analytical method development and formulation development of novel drug delivery systems. Her research areas include nanotechnology, transdermal drug delivery, targeted drug delivery. She worked as an occupational trainee for M.Pharm dissertation at Pharmacy Australia Centre for Excellence (PACE), The University of Queensland (UQ), Brisbane, Australia (Sep – Dec, 2014). As an analytical trainee in analytical method development, she worked in Provimi Animal Nutrition India Pvt. Ltd., Bengaluru, India (3 months). She holds a registered pharmacist certificate from Karnataka State Pharmacy Council.
Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal
Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal
Al-Ameen College of Pharmacy, Bengaluru
Academic: 4 Years 5 months
Industry: 3 months
- Rao RR, Pandey A, Hegde AR, Kulkarni VI, Chincholi C, Rao V, Bhushan I, Mutalik S. Metamorphosis of Twin Screw Extruder-Based Granulation Technology: Applications Focusing on Its Impact on Conventional Granulation Technology. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2022;23(1):24. [IF=3.246]
- Padya BS, Hegde AR, Mutalik SP, Biswas S, Mutalik S. Analytical and bioanalytical HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of 5‑fluorouracil and sonidegib. Bioanalysis. 2022;14(1):29 – 45. [IF=2.681]
- Hegde AR, Padya BS, Soman S, Mutalik S. A simple, precise, and sensitive HPLC method for quantification of letrozole in rat plasma: development, validation, and preclinical pharmacokinetics. J Anal Sci Technol. 2021; 12(25). [IF = 2.769]
- Hegde AR, Raychaudhuri R, Pandey A, Kalthur G, Mutalik S. Exploring potential formulation strategies for chemoprevention of breast cancer: a localized delivery perspective. Nanomedicine (Lond). 2021; 16(13):1111 – 1132. [IF = 5.307]
- Mullick P, Mutalik SP, Hegde AR, Pandey A, Jagadish PC, Kini SG, Jain S, Mutalik S. Simultaneous Estimation of Apremilast and Betamethasone Dipropionate in Microsponge-Based Topical Formulation using a Stability Indicating RP-HPLC Method: A Quality-by-Design Approach. J Chromatogr Sci. 2021; 1 – 13. [IF = 1.618]
- Manne ASN, Hegde AR, Raut SY, Rao RR, Kulkarni VI, Mutalik S. Hot liquid extrusion assisted drug-cyclodextrin complexation: a novel continuous manufacturing method for solubility and bioavailability enhancement of drugs. Drug Deliv Transl Res. 2021; 11(3):1273 – 1287. [IF = 4.617]
- Raychaudhuri R, Pandey A, Hegde AR, Abdul Fayaz SM, Chellappan DK, Dua K, Mutalik S. Factors affecting the morphology of some organic and inorganic nanostructures for drug delivery: characterization, modifications, and toxicological perspectives. Expert Opin Drug Deliv. 2020; 17(12):1737 – 1765. [IF = 6.648]
- Gollavilli H, Hegde AR, Managuli RS, Bhaskar KV, Dengale SJ, Reddy MS, Kalthur G, Mutalik S. Naringin nano-ethosomal novel sunscreen creams: Development and performance evaluation. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2020; 193:111122. [IF = 5.268]
- Nayak S, Sajankila SP, Rao CV, Hegde AR, Mutalik S. Biogenic synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Jatropha curcas seed cake extract and characterization: evaluation of its antibacterial activity. Energ Source Part A. 2019. [In Press] [IF = 3.447]
- Baji S, Hegde AR, Kulkarni M, Raut SY, Manikkath J, Reddy MS, et al. Skin permeation of gemcitabine hydrochloride by passive diffusion, iontophoresis and sonophoresis: in vitro and in vivo evaluations. J Drug Delivery Sci Technol. 2018; 47:49 – 54. [IF = 3.981]
- Joshi H, Hegde AR, Shetty PK, Gollavilli H, Managuli RS, Kalthur G, Mutalik S. Sunscreen creams containing naringenin nanoparticles: Formulation development and in vitro and in vivo evaluations. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed. 2018; 34(1):69 – 81. [IF = 3.135]
- Hegde AR, Managuli RS, Naha A, Koteshwara KB, Reddy MS, Mutalik S. Full factorial experimental design for development and validation of a RP-HPLC method for estimation of letrozole in nanoformulations. Curr Pharm Anal. 2018; 14:320 – 330. [IF = 0.89]
- Kumari S, Nayak G, Lukose ST, Kalthur SG, Bhat N, Hegde AR, Mutalik S, Kalthur G, Adiga SK. Indian propolis ameliorates the mitomycin C‑induced testicular toxicity by reducing DNA damage and elevating the antioxidant activity. Biomed Pharmacother. 2017; 95:252 – 263. [IF = 6.529]
- Nair R, Manikkath J, Hegde AR, Mutalik S, Kalthur G, Adiga SK. Liposome-encapsulated diacyl glycerol and inositol triphosphate-induced delayed oocyte activation and poor development of parthenotes. J Turk Ger Gynecol Assoc. 2017; 18(3):102 – 109 [IF = 0.89]
- Shetty PK, Manikkath J, Tupally K, Kokil G, Hegde AR, Raut SY, Parekh HS, Mutalik S. Skin Delivery of EGCG and Silibinin: Potential of Peptide Dendrimers for Enhanced Skin Permeation and Deposition. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2017; 18(6):2346 – 2357. [IF = 3.246]
- Hegde AR, Rewatkar PV, Manikkath J, Tupally K, Parekh HS, Mutalik S. Peptide dendrimer-conjugates of ketoprofen: Synthesis and ex vivo and in vivo evaluations of passive diffusion, sonophoresis and iontophoresis for skin delivery. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2017; 102:237 – 249. [IF = 4.384]
- Manikkath J, Hegde AR, Kalthur G, Parekh HS, Mutalik S. Influence of peptide dendrimers and sonophoresis on the transdermal delivery of ketoprofen. Int J Pharm. 2017; 521(1 – 2):110 – 119. [IF = 5.875]
- Pradeepa, Shetty A.D, Matthews K, Hegde AR, Akshatha B, Mathias AB, Mutalik S, Vidya SM. Multidrug resistant pathogenic bacterial biofilm inhibition by Lactobacillus plantarum exopolysaccharide. Bioactive Carbohydrates and Dietary Fibre. 2016; 8(1):7 – 14.
- Shreya AB, Managuli RS, Menon J, Kondapalli L, Hegde AR, Avadhani K, Shetty PK, Amirthalingam M, Kalthur G, Mutalik S. Nano-transfersomal formulations for transdermal delivery of asenapine maleate: in vitro and in vivo performance evaluations. J Liposome Res. 2016; 26(3):221 – 32. [IF = 3.648]
- Mutalik S, Salian SR, Avadhani K, Menon J, Joshi H, Hegde AR, Kumar P, Kalthur G, Adiga SK. Liposome encapsulated soy lecithin and cholesterol can efficiently replace chicken egg yolk in human semen cryopreservation medium. Syst Biol Reprod Med. 2014; 60(3):183 – 8.
- No. of Book Chapters: 02
- Manikkath J, Hegde AR, Parekh HS, Mutalik S. 2016. Peptide dendrimers in delivery of bioactive molecules to skin. In: Hamblin M.R., Avci Pinar., Prow T.W. (Eds.), Nanoscience in Dermatology, Elsevier Pub., first ed., pp. 89 – 97.
- Manikkath J, Hegde AR, Mutalik S. Peptide dendrimer mediated skin delivery of bioactive molecules. Manipal Research Review. 2017; 4(1):84 – 91.
- No. of Conference Papers National/International: 25
- Oral presentations
- Delivered an oral presentation titled “Antioxidant Potential of Naringin Ethosomes: Formulation Development and In Vitro Performance Evaluations” at the national conference on Multi-disciplinary Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences organized by SRM College of Pharmacy, SRMIST, Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu in association with Publishing Partner Informatics on Feb 9 ‑11, 2022. (First Prize)
- Poster presentations
- Presented a poster titled “Liposomal nanoformulations of an anticancer drug for the effective treatment of breast cancer” at SYMBIOT 2019, a national level symposium organized by Department of Biotechnology and Institution of Engineers, Biotechnology Chapter (IEBT), Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal on September 26, 2019. (Best Poster)
- Presented a poster entitled “Breast cancer targeted delivery of letrozole using peptide dendrimer-based nano-vesicles” at the Manipal Research Colloquium 2018 held at Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), Manipal on April 4, 2018.
- Presented a poster entitled “Preparation and Evaluation of Transdermal Patches containing an Anti-cancer agent” at the Dubai International Pharmaceuticals & Technologies Conference & Exhibition held at Dubai International Convention & Exhibition Centre, Dubai-UAE during 27 February — 1 March 2018.
- Presented a poster entitled ‘Rosuvastatin calcium loaded pegylated chitosan nanoparticles: preparation and in vitro and in vivo evaluations’ in the 6th Asian Biomaterials Congress held during October 25 – 27, 2017 hosted by Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology, Thiruvananthapuram.
- Presented a poster entitled “Effect of iontophoresis on the skin permeation of dendrimeric conjugates of ketoprofen” at the ALPHACON-2017 National Conference on “Pioneering Pharmaceutical Research and Development to meet Global Challenges” held during 9 — 11 February 2017. (First Prize)
- Presented a poster entitled “Skin permeation of dendrimeric conjugates of ketoprofen: effect of sonophoresis” at the One Day International Workshop on Topical Dermatological Dosage Forms (Controlled Release Society-Indian Chapter) held at Mumbai on 24th January, 2017
- Presented a poster entitled “Skin Permeation Study of Dendrimeric Conjugates of Ketoprofen” at the 21st Annual National Convention of APTI at Manipal University, Manipal held during 14 – 16 October 2016. (Second Prize)
- Presented a poster entitled “Development and evaluation of dendrimeric prodrugs of ketoprofen: effect of passive diffusion, sonophoresis and iontophoresis” at the ICMR Sponsored National Seminar on Advanced Pharmaceutical Technologies and Dosage Forms: Where does India stand in the current global context? held at MCOPS, Manipal University, Manipal during 18 – 19 March, 2016. (First Prize)
- Presented a poster entitled “Development and Validation of a RP-HPLC method for the estimation of an anti-cancer compound” at the 67th IPC held at JSS University, Mysuru, Karnataka, from December 19th — 21st, 2015.
- Presented a poster entitled “Nanocarriers in effective treatment of cancer” at the One-day Seminar on the theme “Controlled Drug Delivery Systems: Scale up, Commercialization and Entrepreneurship Opportunities” held on 5 December 2015 at Manipal University — Bengaluru Campus.
- Attended a One Week Faculty Development Program (Virtual Mode) on Recent Trends in Pharmaceutical Sciences organized by Staff Welfare Committee, Yenepoya Pharmacy College and Research Centre, and Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India (APTI) from 31st January to 06th February 2022.
- Participated as a Resource Person at the Drug Design, Discovery and Developmental Studies organized by Student Research Forum MAHE held from 21 – 25 September 2020.
- Attended a webinar on Nanomedicine in the Spotlight: Unlock your PK, organized by APTI on 15 June 2020.
- Participated as a delegate at the workshop on Statistical Data Analysis Tools held at Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, MAHE on 18 January 2018.
- Participated as a Resource Person at the workshop on the theme “Challenges and Strategies for Drug Design and Formulation Development” sponsored by AICTE under Quality Improvement Program held from 13 – 25 November 2017 at Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, MAHE, Manipal.
- Participated as a delegate for the “Hands-on Training on Basics of Flow Cytometry and its Applications” at School of Life Sciences, Planetarium Complex, Manipal on 4th August, 2017.
- Participated as a delegate at the QbDCON — National conference on recent developments, practical and regulatory aspects of quality by design held at Krupanidhi College of Pharmacy, Bangalore on 11th March, 2017.
- Participated as a delegate in the seminar on ‘Advances in Healthcare Technologies’ held at Kasturba Medical College, Mangaluru on 5th March 2017.
- Participated as a delegate at the Breast Cancer Evidence Update 2017 held on February 23, 2017 at Manipal University, Manipal
- Participated as a delegate in the “Hands-on Training in Cell Culture Techniques” held at School of Life Sciences, Manipal University, Manipal on October 25, 2016.
- Participated as a delegate in the workshop on the theme “Formulation and Management of Quality Medicines” sponsored by AICTE under Quality Improvement Programme held at Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal University, Manipal from September 12 — 24, 2016.
- Attended the workshop on “Nano and Soft matter Sciences” held at MIT, Manipal University, Manipal on August 17, 2016.
- Participated as a delegate in the 1st International Conference on Healthcare and Technical Research held from 22 – 24 December 2015 at Manipal University, Manipal.
- Participated as a delegate in the National Seminar on “Nanomedicines: Regulatory, Marketing and Patent Issues” held on 17 – 18 October 2015 in Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal University, Manipal.
- Participated as a delegate in the Summer Training-2015 for Health Sciences module between 15th June — 25th June 2015 organized by “Manipal University Students’ Research Forum” under the aegis of Directorate of Research, Manipal University, Manipal
- Participated as a delegate in the “Manipal Research Colloquium-2015” held at Manipal University, Manipal from 6th — 8th April, 2015
- Professional development workshops
- Participated in the online workshop on Technology Enhanced Learning held on 11 June, 2020 organized by the Centre for Continuing Education and Interprofessional Development, MAHE, Manipal.
- Participated in the webinar on 3Ds of Good Online Assessment held on 17 July, 2020 organized by the Centre for Continuing Education and Interprofessional Development, MAHE, Manipal.
- Attended and successfully completed a Foundation Course in Educational Methodology (Online), a course of study offered by APTI, during Apr-May 2020.
- Attended a webinar on Sensitisation in Educational Methodology for Pharmaceutical Academic Leaders (SEMPAL) organized by APTI on 18 April 2020.
- Attended a workshop on ‘Pedagogic & Personal Effectiveness’ organized by Manipal Centre for Professional & Personal Development (MCPD) between 13 – 16 December, 2017.
- GPAT Qualified (2011, 2012 – 559 Rank)
- NIPER Qualified (2012)
- State 1st rank in Karnataka PGCET 2012 for admission to M. Pharm
- Adjudged the “Best Student for Outstanding Performance” during the year 2010 – 2011 by the Alumni Association of Al-Ameen College of Pharmacy, Bangalore.
- Second prize for National Level Power-point Competition on the topic Recent Advances in Tableting Technology organized by the Pharmacist’s Organization for Women Empowerment and Research (POWER) on March 8th, 2013.
- M/s MEDREICH Ltd, Bangalore Award (2013−2014) for the best M.Pharm Part-II Project work (Dissertation work), instituted by Mr. B Srinivasa Reddy, M/s Medreich Ltd, Bangalore awarded on February 14, 2015.
Registered pharmacist of Karnataka State Pharmacy Council