Dr Selvam Arjunan is Assistant Professor at the Department of Biotechnology, FLAHS, RUAS since 2019. Beginning his 20-year-long career as a Junior Research Fellow at the Indian Institute of Science and National Centre for Biological Sciences, Bangalore (2000 – 2003), he served as a Post-doctoral Research Fellow at the National University of Singapore, Singapore (2010 – 2011). On returning to India, he worked as an Assistant Professor at Indian Academy Degree College (2013 – 2016) and Kristu Jayanti College (2016 – 2019) in Bangalore. Dr Arjunan studied for his BSc (1997) and MSc (1999) degrees in Biochemistry at the University of Madras, Chennai. He travelled to Germany for his PhD studies in Biology at Heinrich Heine University, Düsseldorf (2008). His chief areas of research concern Dengue — Virology and Proteomics.
PhD Life Sciences
Heinrich Heine University, Düsseldorf, Germany
University of Madras, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
University of Madras, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Total years of Experience :
- Assistant Professor at Department of Biotechnology — Indian Academy Degree College (Autonomous) — Bangalore — 3 Years 5 Months (February 2013 –June 2016)
- Assistant Professor at Department of Life Sciences — Kristu Jayanti College (Autonomous) — Bangalore — 3 Years ( July 2016 — August 2019)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Biotechnology, FLAHS — Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences — Bangalore — 2 Year 5 Months ( September 2019 ‑Present)
Research and Industry Experience
- Junior Research Fellow — National Center for Biological Sciences (NCBS), TIFR — Bangalore — 2 Years (February 2000 — March 2002)
- Scientific Assistant — European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) — Heidelberg, Germany — 3 Months — 2002 (Apr- June)
- Project Assistant at Department of Biochemistry — Indian Institute of Science (IISc) — Bangalore — 1 Year (2002 — 2003)
- Scientific staff at Institute for Statistic in medicine Heinrich Heine-University (HHU) — Düsseldorf, Germany — 1 Year (2009 — 2010)
- Post-Doctoral Fellow at Department of Physiology — Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS) — Singapore — 1 Year (2010 — 2011)
- Research Scientist — Serene Bio sciences — Bangalore — 1 Year (2011 — 2012)
Dengue — Virology and Proteomics, Interplay between the Host Cell Membrane and Flavivirus.
Dengue — Virology and Proteomics, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Proteomics, Physiology
- Virology and Proteomics
- Molecular Biology
- Cell Biology
Mapping of coronary endothelial cell (EC) membrane proteome and comparative proteomic analysis of regulatory T (Treg) cells in CD73 knockout mice
National Journal Papers:
- Hamza Abdulrahman Salman, Selvam Arjunan, Radhakrishnan Senthilkumar. “Cloning and molecular characterization of Phytase — PhyL gene isolated from bacillus licheniformis ATCC14580 into E.Coli DH5α host”. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2014 Jan; 5(1): (B) 1000 – 1004.
- Forough Jannesari, Selvam Arjunan, Alireza Akbari Khorram, Radhakrishnan Senthilkumar. “Effect of Dasatinib and Herceptin on HER‑1, HER‑2 and ER/PR (Triple negative) Breast Cancer Cells”. Academic Journal of Cancer Research 6 (2): 84 – 89, 2013.
- Mahshid Khodabakhshi, Selvam Arjunan, Khalid Imran, Radhakrishnan Senthilkumar. “Comparative Analysis of real time PCR and ELISA for the detection of Pseudomonas Aeruginosa in not chronically infected cystic fibrosis patients”. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2014 April; 5(2): (B) 36- 40.
- Farzad Imami, Selvam Arjunan, Radhakrishnan Senthilkumar. “Cloning and molecular characterization of antigen 85A isolated from Mycobacterium tuberculosis into E.coli DH5α host”. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2014 April; 5(2): (B) 122- 128.
- Bassam, Radhakrishnan Senthilkumar, Selvam Arjunan. “Cloning and molecular characterization of Cag Pathogenicity island antigen for the production of vaccine against Helicobactor pylori, the risk factor for gastric cancer”. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2014 April; 5 (2): (B) 588 – 595.
- Pavan Kumar Kalla, Sashikanth Chitti, Seyedeh Tahereh Aghamirzaei, Radhakrishnan Senthilkumar, Selvam Arjunan. “Anti-cancer activity of silymarin on MCF‑7 and NCIH-23 cell lines”. Advan. Biol. Res., 8 (2): 57 – 61, 2014.
- Manoj Adhikari, Prasant Rout, Asal Mohseni Sajadi Eraghi, Radhakrishnan Senthilkumar, Selvam Arjunan. Proteomic profile in heavy metal treated Saccharomyces cerevisiae of baker’s yeast. Global J. Pharmacol., 8 (3): 336 – 339, 2014.
- Seyed Abbas Ghasemi, Selvam Arjunan, Radhakrishnan Senthilkumar. Cloning and molecular characterization of babA2 antigen for the production of vaccine against Helicobacter pylori, the risk factor for gastric cancer. Asian J Pharm Clin Res, Vol 7, Issue 3, 2014, 88 – 92.
- Rahim Gholipoorfeshkecheh, Selvam Arjunan. Genotyping of Frequent BRCA1 SNPs in familial Breast Cancer in Indian Population by Restriction fragment length polymorphism and sequencing. Adv. Appl. Sci. Res. 2014, 5(2):262 – 267.
- Amudha Kuppuswamy, Nisha Das, Epsita Bhattacharyya, Selvam Arjunan, Raja Rajan. “Molecular characterization of multidrug resistant Escherichia coli isolated from urinary tract infections”. Asian J Pharm Clin Res, Vol 7, Suppl 1, 2014, 168- 172.
- Seyedeh Tahereh Aghamirzaei, Amin Hemati, Selvam Arjunan. “Quantification of human immunodeficiency virus using quantitative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) compared to ELISA in early diagnosis of infection. Adv. Appl. Sci. Res. 2014, 5(3):64 – 67.
- Hasan Ali Fadhil Al-hayali and Selvam Arjunan. Functional characterization of E2 gene of high risk oncogenic Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) 16. Adv. Appl. Sci. Res., 2014, 5(3):439 – 450.
- Pavan Kumar Kalla, Lalnunthari K and Selvam Arjunan. Cloning and molecular characterization of GAG gene from HIV‑1 into E.coli DH5A host. Int J Curr Pharm Res, Vol 6, Issue 4, 41 – 44, 2014.
- Amudha Kuppuswamy, Baby Lensa Tzudir, Sruthi Krishna, Joyce Pontes, Sarshad, Selvam Arjunan, Raja Rajan. Molecular characterization of indigenous rhizobia nodulating medicinal legumes using RAPD method. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2015 July; 6(3): (B) 562 — 570.
- Sarshad, Deepesh Dinesh, Nimsi Shiraf and Selvam Arjunan. Isolation and Characterization of Hydrocarbon Degrading Bacteria Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2015 July; 6(3): (B) 469 – 478.
- Sudhakar Malla, Selvam Arjunan, Sanjana, W. K., Añu John, B., Gunna vidyanandh and Shriramwar Yogesh Gajanan. Relative Expression of Slow Growth Suppressor Gene (Sgs1) Under the Treatment of Herbal Formulation on Yeast Model. International Journal of Current Research, Vol. 08, Issue, 08, pp.35674- 35679, August, 2016
- Pranav Kumar Mishra, H. P. Jai Shanker Pillai, Herman Kopa, Megha Gupta and Selvam Arjunan. A modified protocol for Agrobacterium mediated transformation of tomato plants. Int. J. Curr. Res. Biosci. Plant Biol. 4(1), 123 – 130 (2017).
- Samer Adnan Hani, Selvam Arjunan and Radhakrishnan Senthilkumar. Detection of salt tolerant rice genotypes at the seedling stage using molecular markers: A genotypic analysis. Int. J. Curr. Res. Biosci. Plant Biol. 4(3), 81 – 87 (2017).
- Selvam Arjunan, R. Senthil Kumar, Kureeckel Ramesh, Sudhakar Malla. Docking of Homology Modeled Neurotoxin from Acalyptophis Peronii onto the Crystal Structure of Acetyl Choline Binding Protein. International Journal of Advanced Biotechnology and Research, Vol‑8, Issue‑1, 2017, 334 – 349.
- Gopal Krishna Maji, Sayantan Choudhury, Shoaib Hamid, Prashanth R, Selvam Arjunan, Sibi G. Microalgae Harvesting via Flocculation: Impact of PH, Algae Species and Biomass Concentration. Methods Microbiol Mol Biol. 2018 Apr;1(2): 106.
- Kavya G, Akshatha M. D, Selvam Arjunan. Analysis of phytochemical, antioxidant and anti-Inflammatory activity of Cissus Quadralangularis. IJPBS (2019) 9 (3): 314 – 322.
- Ashwini S, Sharon Reji, Neha Mahesh, Selvam Arjunan. Effect of Carica Papaya leaves extract on the morphological and physiological factors of Drosophila Melanogaster. IJPBS (2019) 9 (3): 267 – 276.
International Journal Papers:
- Karyala P, Metri R, Bathula C, Yelamanchi SK, Sahoo L, Arjunan S, Sastri NP, Chandra N. DenHunt — A Comprehensive Database of the Intricate Network of DengueHuman Interactions. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2016 Sep 12;10(9).
- Selvam Arjunan, Michael Reinartz, Barbara Emde, Klaus Zanger, Jürgen Schrader. “Limitations of the colloidal silica method in mapping the endothelial plasma membrane proteome of the mouse heart”. Journal of Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics. 2009; 3(3):135 – 43.
- Geethika Pant, Hema Latha, Selvam Arjunan, Sudhakar Malla and Sibi G. Effect of heat stress in synthesis of heat shock proteins and anti-oxidative enzyme response in Trigonella foenum-graceum L. Journal of Plant Sciences-2013; 1(4): 51 – 56.
- Alireza Akbari Khorram, Selvam Arjunan, Forough Jannesari, Radhakrishnan Senthilkumar. Effect of Dasatinib and Herceptin on Her‑2 gene transfection in ER/PR positive breast cancer cells”. Euro. J. Exp. Bio., 2014, 4(1): 211 – 217.
- Atheer Hasan Atiyan and Selvam Arjunan. Molecular characterization of thermostable DNA polymerase of Bacillus Stearothermophilus spp isolated from soil in Bangalore, India. Euro. J. Exp. Bio., 2014, 4(4):67 – 72.
- Ibtihal Riyadh najeeb, Sudhakar Malla, Radhakrishnan Senthilkumar and Selvam Arjunan. Genotyping of Her1 and Her2 SNP’s In Familial Breast Cancer by Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism and Sequencing. Euro. J. Exp. Bio., 2014, 4(5):143 – 148.
- Salam Abbas, Radhakrishnan Senthilkumar and Selvam Arjunan. Isolation and Molecular Characterization of microrganisms producing novel antibiotics from soil sample. Euro. J. Exp. Bio., 2014, 4(5):149 – 155.
- Arjunan S, Abdulmuhsen AM, Sudhakar M and Sibi G. Differential Expression of Proteins Associated with Chronic Hepatitis B Virus Infection on HeLa cell lines. Journal of Proteomics and Genomics. 2018; Volume 2, Issue 1.
- Jit Goria, Shilpa Sarkar, Malathi R, Selvam Arjunan, K Prashanthi. Molecular docking of plant flavonoids: Myricetin, Quercetin and Kaempferol, on human maoa as multi-drug target to reduce stress and depression. J. Global Trends Pharm Sci, 2020; 11 (3): 8127 — 8132
National Conference Papers:
- One day National Seminar on “Biofilm Technology – Problems & Prospects” on 25th January 2017 at Kristu Jayanti College, Bangalore 560077, India (Presented a Paper), 2017
- Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Government of India, Sponsored two days national conference on “Confluence – A System Biology Approach” on 24th-25th April 2015 at Indian Academy Degree College, Bangalore-43, India (Organizing Secretary and Presented a Paper), 2015
- One days lecture workshop on “Research Trends in Information Technology” on 15th March 2014 at Indian Academy Centre for Research and PG Studies, Bangalore, India (Paper Presented), 2014
International Conference Papers:
- Conference on “5th Annual Meeting of Proteomics Society India” on Nov 28 – 30, 2013, Indian Institute of Science (IISc), India. Poster presented: Selvam Arjunan et al,. Interplay Between the Host Cell Membrane and Flavivirus, 2013
- Models of Physiology and Disease” on 2nd and 3rd August 2010 at NUS, Singapore. Poster presented: C. Ketpin, Zakaria A. M, Selvam. A, Deng Yuru. Cubic membrane as a “sub cellular model” for physiology and pathology, 2010
- 1st European summer school in proteomic basics – “Sample handling and protein separation” on 12th Aug. – 18th Aug 2007 at Kloster Neustift, Italy. Poster presented: Selvam Arjunan et al,.Mapping the endothelial plasma membrane proteome of the mouse heart, 2007
- International symposium on “From proteomics to lipidomics – basics, advanced and application” On 30 June-1st July 2006 at CAESAR, Bonn, Germany. Poster presented: Selvam Arjunan et al. Mapping the endothelial plasma membrane proteome of the mouse heart under in vivo conditions, 2006
- Dr. Selvam Arjunan and Dr. Jurgen Schreader. “Mapping of cell membrane proteome”. Lambert Publication — Year 2019. ISBN 978−620−0−25416−0.
- Dr. Ramakrishna, Dr. Jai Shanker Pillai H P and Dr. Selvam Arjunan. “In recognition of the publication of the Book entitled “MDR Enterobacteriace – Lactose fermentor from Clinical Samples” (ISBN: 978−81−932645−5−3)” published in Volume 1, Year: 2016 (DARSHAN PUBLISHERS — Reg. No: 37/2014).
- Minor Research Project: MRP(S)-0411/13 – 14/KABA105/UGC-SWRO, Title: Dengue viral nonstructural protein induces host cubic membrane: A target for understanding and combating viral infections (Completed), Source: University Grants Commission (India) (UGC), Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. [Amount: 1.4 Lakhs]
- 2016 – 2017 – HAR GOBIND KHORANA MEMORIAL BEST YOUNG SCIENTIST AWARD by Bose Scientific Society (BSS-Established under TNSRO (Tamil Nadu Scientific Research Organization) and Affiliated to DST, Government of India).
Proteomic Society- India (PSI - Reg. No: 177).
Bose Scientific Society – India (M258/BSS/2016)
Bose Scientific Society – India (F258/BSS/2016)