Dr Rohini Keshava is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Biotechnology, FLAHS, RUAS. She began her career in teaching and research 10 years ago as a Senior Lecturer at PESIT, Bangalore (2007 – 2008) and then serving as a Guest Faculty at the same institution (2010 – 2011). Between 2011 and 2014, she worked as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Applied Genetics at Acharya Bangalore B School.
She earned degrees in Bachelor of Science (Chemistry, Botany, Zoology) from MES College, Bangalore (1998) and Master of Science (Botany) from Bangalore University (2000). Seven years later, she obtained her Doctor of Philosophy degree in Cancer Biology from the National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore. In January 2014, she was awarded the Dr D S Kothari Post Doctoral Fellowship — UGC.
Ph.D in Cancer Biology
Cancer Biology National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore
M.Sc. in Botany
B.Sc in Chemistry, Botany, Zoology (CBZ)
MES College, Bangalore University
Total years of Experience :
- Sr. Lecturer — PESIT, Affiliated to Bangalore University — Bangalore — 7 Months (August 2007 — February 2008)
- Guest faculty — PESIT, Affiliated to Bangalore University — Bangalore — 4 Months (October 2010 — January 2011)
- Assistant Professor in Department of Applied Genetics — Acharya Bangalore B‑School, Affiliated to Bangalore University — Bangalore — 3 Years (February 2011 — January 2014 )
- Guest faculty at Department of Life science — Bangalore University — Bangalore — 1 Year 2 Months (February 2017 — April 2018)
- Assistant Professor in Department of Biotechnology — Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences — Bangalore — 2 Years 5 Months ( April 2018 – Present)
Research and Industry Experience
- Director of Academics — Jaagrut educational services Pvt. Ltd (Start-up tutoring company) — 2 Years 1 Month (Feb 2008 — March 2010)
- UGC-Dr. D.S. Kothari Post-doctoral Research Fellow — Bangalore University — Bangalore ths (January 2014 — January 2017)
- “Course on Care, Breeding and Management of Laboratory animals” at Central Animal Research Facility, NIMHANS 2003 – 2004.
- FDP entitled “Recent Advances in Immunomolecular diagnostics” Organised by oxford College of Science, Bangalore Sponsored by Vision group on science and technology in association with Aristogene Biosciences, July 2013.
- DBT sponsored workshop on “RNAi technology and its application” held at Maharani’s Science College for women, Bangalore, February, 2014.
- One-day Workshop on “Research and Societal Relevance” organized by Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC), Bangalore University on 30th January 2016.
Life sciences, cancer biology, Phytotherapeutics
- cancer biology
- Life sciences
Molecular analysis of the tumor suppressor gene p53 in human brain tumors
- Keshava R, Muniyappa N, Gope R. Bioactivity Guided Fractionation and Elucidation of Anti-Cancer Properties of Imperata Cylindrica Leaf Extracts. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention 21, 707 – 714, 2020
- Keshava R, Vazhayil V, Rohan Mitra, Bhagavatula ID and Gope R. AlCl3 causes Fas/Fas‑L mediated cell death in the cortex and hippocampus of mouse brain. International Journal of BioSciences and Technology 12, 21 – 35, 2019
- Mitra R, Vazhayil V, Bhagavatula ID, Keshava R, Gope R. Sodium butyrate induces p53 dependent and independent cell death in human brain tumor cells in primary culture in vitro. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology 55, 747 – 755, 2017
- Keshava R, Muniyappa N, Gope R, Ramaswamaiah SA. Anti-Cancer Effects of Imperata cylindrica Leaf Extract on Human Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma Line SCC‑9 in Vitro. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention 17,1891−1898, 2016
- Keshava R and Gope R. Sodium Butyrate Plus EGF and PDGF-BB Aids Cutaneous Wound Healing in Diabetic Mice. Advances in Biology 2015, Article ID 527231, 10 pages, doi:10.1155/2015/527231, 2015
- Mitra R, Keshava R, Jothi M, Vazhayil V, Bhagavatula ID, and Gope R. BAY 61 – 3606, CDKi, and Sodium Butyrate Treatments Modulate p53 Protein Level and Its Site-Specific Phosphorylation in Human Vestibular Schwannomas In Vitro. Journal of Cancer Research 2014, Article ID 249354, 9 pages, doi:10.1155/2014/249354, 2014
- Kambli J, Patil A, Chithrashree, Keshava R. Phytochemical screening, and evaluation of antibacterial, antioxidant and Cytotoxic activity of Ficus racemosa linn. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science 6, 464 – 468, 2014
- K. Rohini, J. Mathivanan, ML. Gope, R. Gope. Functional Modulation of the p53 gene and its protein in human brain tumors. Annals of Neurosciences 15, 75 – 86, 2008
- K. Rohini, J. Mathivanan, PD. Antony Herold Prabhu, DK. Subbakrishna, ML. Gope, BA. Chandramouli, S. Sampath, B. Anandh and R. Gope. Loss of heterozygosity of the p53 gene and deregulated expression of its mRNA and protein in human brain tumors. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 300, 100 – 111, 2007
- J. Mathivanan, K. Rohini, ML. Gope, R. Gope. Possible role of the tumor suppressor gene retinoblastoma (RB1) in human brain tumor development. Annals of Neurosciences 14, 72 – 82, 2007
- J. Mathivanan, K. Rohini, ML. Gope, B. Anandh and R. Gope. Altered structure and deregulated expression of the tumor suppressor gene retinoblastoma (RB1) in human brain tumors. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 302, 67 – 77, 2007
- PD. Antony Herold Prabhu, R Thomas, J. Mathivanan, K. Rohini, ML. Gope, R. Gope. The tumor suppressor gene (RB1) in human vestibular schwannomas. Annals of Neurosciences 13, 113 – 124, 2006
- PD. Antony Herold Prabhu, K. Rohini, J. Mathivanan, ML. Gope, R. Gope. The p53 gene and human vestibular schwannomas. Annals of Neurosciences 13, 77 – 91, 2006
- PD. Antony Herold Prabhu, J. Mathivanan, K. Rohini, R Thomas, ML. Gope, DK. Subbakrishna, S. Sampath, SS. Praharaj, BA. Chandramouli and R. Gope. Age dependent phosphorylation and deregulation of p53 in human vestibular schwannomas. Molecular Carcinogenesis 45, 38 – 46, 2006
- R. Thomas, PD. Antony Herold Prabhu, J. Mathivanan, Rohini, D. Sivakumar, PN. Jayakumar, B. Indira Devi, S. Satish, KVR. Sastry and R. Gope. Altered structure and expression of RB1 gene and increased phosphorylation of pRb in human vestibular schwannomas. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 271, 113 – 121, 2005
- K. Rohini, J. Mathivanan, ML. Gope and R. Gope. The tumor suppressor genes RB1 and p53 in human cancers. Advanced Biotech III, 16 – 19, 2005
- Rohini Keshava, Rohan Mitra, Mohan L. Gope and Rajalakshmi Gope. Synthetic Biology: Overview and Applications. In: Omics technologies and Bioengineering towards improving quality of life. Debmalya Barh and Vasco Azevedo (Eds.), Academic press, Elsevier Inc. 1, pages. 63 – 93, 2018.
- J. Mathivanan, K. Rohini, R. Thomas, PD. Antony Herold Prabhu, ML. Gope and R. Gope. Molecular medicine, genetic engineering and human genetic disorders. In: Recent advances in Genetics and Health; P. Usha Rani, A. Jothy and M. Hema Prasad (eds.) Institute of genetics and hospital for genetic diseases, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India. Murthy Graphics, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500 016, India; pages 223 – 230, 2004
- UGC-Dr. D.S. Kothari Post-Doctoral Fellowship, December 2013.