Manikanta Murahari has been an Assistant Professor at the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry under the Faculty of Pharmacy at RUAS since 2015. He began his academic career in 2011 as an Assistant Professor at A M Reddy Memorial College of Pharmacy, Guntur and then joined as a Research Fellow at SVKM’s Dr. Bhanuben Nanavati College of Pharmacy, Mumbai (2012 – 2015). After finishing his Master’s degree in Pharmacy, Dr Murahari went on to do his PhD degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences. His research interests include medicinal chemistry, cancer biology and computer-aided drug design. He is a life member of the Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India, Indian Pharmacy Graduate Association and a registered Pharmacist of the Andhra Pradesh Pharmacy Council.
- Assistant Professor A.M. Reddy Memorial College of Pharmacy, Narasaraopet, Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh Sep 2011 – June 2012
- Research Fellow JRF (2012−14) & SRF (2014−15)
- SVKM’s Dr. Bhanuben Nanavati College of Pharmacy, NMIMS University Campus, Vile Parle (West), Mumbai 02nd July 2012 to 30th July 2015
- Assistant Professor Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy (RUAS) Aug 2015 – till date
Medicinal Chemistry; Cancer Biology; Computer-aided Drug Design
a) Synthesis of small molecules b) Purification of compounds by Column Chromatography
c) Structural interpretation of novel organic compounds by 1HNMR, 13CNMR, MS, IR and UV Spectra
d) Knowledge of searching compounds, chemical reactions from Scifinder database, Patents and articles of Elsevier, Springer and Bentham publishers etc. e) In vitro anticancer screening of synthesized compounds Computer-Aided Drug Design:
a) Design of small molecules by Virtual Screening, Molecular Docking using Schrodinger Suite and by searching Open Chemical Databases b) Proficient in QSAR and Pharmacophore modelling strategies
c) Building target protein structure by Homology modelling approach
d) Formulation design like selection of excipients and understanding incompatibility using computational tools Cancer Biology:
a) Knowledge in maintenance of cell lines
b) Cytotoxicity screens: Growth inhibition/cell kill (IC50)
c) Understanding the molecular biology pathways and designing assays
d) Extraction of DNA and RNA from cells to study apoptosis by electrophoresis
e) Understanding the DNA binding interactions of small molecules
f) Handling anticancer assay kits
- Received merit scholarship of Rs: 50,000 from Sir Ratan Tata Trust, Mumbai in the year of 2011.
- Achieved All India 8th rank in National Level Pharmacy Talent Search Organization Organized by Pharma Helpline Society held on Mar 2009.
- Appreciation award for overall distinction in B.Pharmacy Qualified in GATE 2009 with 91.48 percentile, Conducted by IIT Roorkee
- Appreciation award for college 1st in D.Pharmacy
Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India
Life member of Indian Pharmacy Graduate Association