Dr Malathi S is an Associate Professor at the Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, RUAS. The modules taught by her include Advanced Digital Communication, Mobile Communication, Optoelectronics and Optical communication, Research Methodology, Optical Communication, Solid state devices and Microwave Engineering.
She is a thesis Advisor for undergraduate, postgraduate (MS) and PhD students. She has been the Chairperson of the IISc — IEEE student branch in 2008, an Executive Committee member, IEEE Photonics Society (2013 – 2018) and its Chair- Elect (2020) for the Bangalore section.
Awarded a student scholarship by SPIE — International Society for Optics and Photonics US (2008), she also received the Professor Selvarajan grant for international travel from the Indian Institute of Science in the same year. She completed her PhD degree from the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (2012).
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
M.E in Microwave and Optical Engineering
Madurai Kamaraj University
B.E in Electronics and Communication Engineering
Total years of Experience :
- Lecturer (Part Time) — Government College of Engineering — Krishnagiri, Tamil Nadu — 1 Year (1996 — 1997)
- Lecturer — Adhiyamaan College of Engineering — Hosur, Tamil Nadu — 1 Year (2000 — 2001)
- Assistant Professor — Adhiyamaan College of Engineering — Hosur, Tamil Nadu — 3 Years (2003 — 2006)
- Assistant Professor in Department Electronics and Electrical Engineering — MS Ramaiah School of Advanced Studies — Bangalore — 2 Years (June 2012 to July 2014)
- Associate Professor in the Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering — Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences — Bangalore — 5 Years (July 2014 ‑Nov 2019)
- Associate Professor & Head in the Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering — Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences — Bangalore — 1 Year (Dec 2019 ‑Present)
- Research Scholar — Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore — 5 years (2007−2012)
Photonics Sensors, Optical Bio / Chemical sensor, Machine learning methods for Optical imaging modalities, Integrated Optic devices, Biophotonics for sensing applications, Optical MEMS, Optical Communication
Modeling and simulation of integrated optic devices, Fabrication of Optical MEMS devices
PI in ISRO RESPOND project for Gas sensor development ( On going)
Co-PI in AR & DB sponsored research project for Heat flux sensor development ( On going)
PI in AR & DB sponsored research project for chemical sensor development during 2013 – 2015 (Completed)
- Optical imaging modalities
Design and analysis of integrated optic resonators for biosensing applications
National Conference Papers: 4
- S.Malathi, Continuous beam steering of a phased array antenna with fiber bragg grating beamformer , Proc of National Conf on Signals,Systems Security NCSSS-2006, 24 – 25, Feb,2006.
- S.Malathi, K.E.Rani and T.Srinivas, Analysis of Frequency Resolution Characteristics of an Integrated Optic Microring Resonator, National Symposium on Instrumentation-NSI 2007,Tamilnadu, India.
- S.Malathi et al., Analysis of a novel racetrack resonator based vibration sensor, SENSORS-2007, RCI, Hyderabad,14 – 15,Dec,2007.
- Malathi.S, and T.Srinivas, Microring design and fabrication for biosensing application, Workshop on Recent trends in Nanophotonics, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, 30 Sep- 1 Oct, 2011.
International Conference Papers: 19
- S.Malathi and B.E.Caroline, Fiber bragg grating beam formers using micro machined polysilicon diaphragm , Photonics2006, Dec,2006
- A.P.Kabilan,P.E.Caroline, X.S.Christina and S.Malathi ‚Optical signal processing network using electrostatically actuated micromirror, Photonics2006 ‚Univ of Hyderabad, Dec,2006
- S.Malathi ‚Sreelakshmi and M.L.Florence, MEMS tuned true time delay for optically fed wireless LAN base station , 3rd Int. Conf.ObCom, Vellore Inst of Tech, India, 2006
- S.Malathi, Fiber bragg grating based strain sensor, 5th Int.Conf on Tends in Industrial Measurements and Automation, NIT,Trichy,4 – 6,Jan,2007
- Malathi.S, and T.Srinivas, Ultra compact integrated optic racetrack resonator based biosensor, Photonics2008, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi,14 – 17, Dec, 2008
- Malathi.S, Rani, K.E., Raghunath, U., Srinivas, T., Design and analysis of SOI based Rib waveguide biomedical transducer, International Conference on Photonics, ICP2010
- Malathi.S, Rani, K.E., Srinivas, T., Design and analysis of SOI based biosensor with integrated optic readout”, 2nd International Conference on Computing, Communication and Networking Technologies, ICCCNT 2010
- Malathi.S, Raghunath, U., Srinivas, T., Ultra-compact SOI micro rings for sensing applications, Photonics Global Conference, PGC 2010
- Raghunath, U., Malathi.S, Krishna, Y., Srinivas, T., Kadambi, G., Design of 16 channel multiplexer using SOI ring resonator array, Photonics Global Conference, PGC 2010
- Malathi.S, R.Usha, Y.Krishna and T.Srinivas, Optimization of a SOI ring resonator for biosensing application, Photonics 2010, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, India, 11 – 15, Dec,2010
- R.Usha, Malathi.S, Y.Krishna,T.Srinivas and G.Kadambi, Modeling, design and analysis of SOI microring resonator notch filter for DWDM application, Photonics2010, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati,
India, 11 – 15, Dec,2010.
- Rekha, R., Sudarshan, S.M., Shushma, M.R., Rashmi, C., Jayanthi, C., Malathi.S, Srinivas, T., Design of MOEM vibration sensor using optical microring resonator and microcantilever beam, IEEE Region 10 Annual International Conference, Proceedings/TENCON 2011.
- Malathi.S, Naga Monika, R.D., Jayalakshmi K., and Srinivas,T., Numerical analysis of Integrated optic Hemoglobin sensor, Proc.ICLASER2012, International conference on Laser Advances in Science Engineering and Research, MSRIT, Bangalore, 18 – 10 June 2012.
- Ugra Mohan Roy, S.Malathi and Govind. R.Kadambi, “A study on buttcoupling co-efficient of a an optical microring resonator “,Poster presentation at Workshop on recent advances in photonics,IIT- Delhi, Dec, 2013
- Ugra Mohan Roy, S.Malathi , Govind. R.Kadambi and Yuri Vershinin, “Design and Analysis of an Integrated Opto- Electronic Oscillator Based Biosensor”, Poster presentation at International Conference on Optics and Photonics, ICOP 2015, University of Calcutta, Feb, 2015
- P. K. Karanam, U. Mohan roy, and Malathi Sathish, “Simultaneous Detection of Gases with an Integrated Optic Micro-Ring Resonator Array,” in 13th International Conference on Fiber Optics and Photonics,
OSA Technical Digest (online) (Optical Society of America, 2016), paper Th3A.10. Link
- Roy, U., Malathi, S., & Patil, S. D. (2016, September). Integrated optic grating array for simultaneous detection of multiple gases. In Recent Advances in Lightwave Technology (CRALT), 2016 IEEE Conference on (pp. 1 – 4). IEEE.
- P. K. Karanam and Malathi Sathish, “Optical Micro-Ring Resonator for detection of Carbon dioxide Gas”, Proceedings of ICPSPCT 2018 (Submitted to Springer)
- P. K. Karanam and Malathi Sathish, “Performance Comparison of Polymer Coated Integrated Optic Devices for Simultaneous Detection of Multiple Gases”, 14th International Conference on Fiber Optics and Photonics,IIT Delhi, December 2018
International Journal Papers:
- Malathi.S and Srinivas. T., Design and analysis of ARROW-based racetrack resonator vibration sensor for inertial navigation application Proceedings of SPIE , Vol 7100, 2008
- Malathi.S, Mangal, N., Samad, S.A., Honnungar, R.V., Srinivas, T., SOI strip waveguide microring resonator for homogeneous biosensing, Proceedings of SPIE . Vol 8129, 2011
- Malathi.S and Srinivas. T., Analysis of Stress due to Biomolecular Adhesion on Cantilever Surface : An Integrated Optic Approach – Advances in Biosensor and Bioelectronics 2012
- Malathi.S and Srinivas. T., Polarization analysis of an asymmetrically etched rib waveguide coupler on silicon-on insulator platform for sensing application , Springer Journal of Photonic Sensor 2013
- Malathi.S, Hegde .G.K, Srinivas.T and Ugra Mohan Roy., Analysis of an integrated optic micro racetrack resonator based biosensor, Proceedings of SPIE . Vol 9234, 2014
- Acharya, K. N., Yashwanth Gowda, M. G., Vijay, M., Deepthi, S., Malathi, S., & Sure, P. (2020). Parametric and non-parametric regression approaches for non-invasive blood glucose monitoring. Biomedical Engineering: Applications, Basis and Communications, 32(06), 2050043.
- Indian Patent Filed: Integrated Optic Grating array based gas sensor (201641043599)
- Chair 2020, IEEE Photonics Soc- Bangalore chapter.
- SPIE Student Scholarship 2008, Prof.Selvarajan Travel grant, Student Chair, IISc IEEE branch 2008
- Student Scholarship, SPIE- International society for Optics and Photonics US, 2008
- Prof.Selvarajan grant for international travel, Indian Institute of Science, 200