In January 2016, Dr N C Mahendra Babu joined the department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering at RUAS in a professorial capacity. He is now an associate head of the department and a member of the Board of Studies. With three decades of distinguished teaching under his belt, he has successfully guided over 30 undergraduate and 25 postgraduate projects as well as two PhD aspirants.
Vesweswaraya Technolgical University, Karnataka
Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
B. E. in Mechanical Engineering
University of Mysore
Total Experience: 31 years
Professor and Head of Department, — B.N.M. Institute of Technology, Bangalore
Professor, Dean PG Studies — K. S. Institute of Technology, Banagalore
Professor, Course Manager, Head of Department — M.S. Ramaiah School of Advanced Studies, Bangalore
Professor, Principal — Modalakatte Institute of Technology, Kundapur
Assistant Professor — Bangalore Institute of Technology, Bangalore
Lecturer — A.I. T., Chikmagalur
Structural Analysis; Metal Fatigue Analysis; Fracture Mechanics; Finite Element Analysis
Research Interest: Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics; Machinery Design
Research Expertise: Fatigue Life Extension Techniques; Farm Machinery Design
- Farm Machinery Design
- Fatigue Life Extension Techniques
- Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics
- Cold expansion technology for life extension of mechanical components
National Conference Papers: 01
International Conference Papers: 08
- Damage Tolerance Assessment of Fuselage Structural Joints with Fatigue Cracks
- Fatigue Life Extension of Non-Circular Cut-Outs through Cold Expansion
- N. C. Mahendra Babu, T. Jagadish, K. Ramachandra, S. N. Sridhara, A simplified 3‑D finite element simulation of cold expansion of a circular hole to capture through thickness variation of residual stresses, Engineering Failure Analysis, Volume 15, Issue 4, pp 339 – 348(2008).
- S. Anil Kumar, N.C. Mahendra Babu, “Fatigue Crack Growth Life Prediction around Cold Expanded Hole using Finite Element Method”, Journal of Procedia Material Science, Vol. 5, Pp. 316 – 325, 2014.
- S. Anil Kumar, N.C. Mahendra Babu, “Influence of Induced Residual Stresses on Fatigue Performance of Cold Expanded Fastener Holes”, Journal of Materials Today: Proceedings, Vol.4(2) , Pp. 2397 – 2402, 2017.
- S. Anil Kumar, N.C. Mahendra Babu, “Effect of Proximity Hole on Induced Residual Stresses during Cold Expansion of Adjacent Holes”, Journal ofMaterials Today: Proceedings, Vol.5 (2), Pp. 5709 – 5715, 2018.
- S. Anil Kumar, N.C. Mahendra Babu, “Sequential Cold Expansion and Resulting Beneficial Residual Stress Prediction around Adjacent Fastener Holes”, Journal of Material Physics and Mechanics, Vol. 37, Pp. 92 – 99, 2018.
- H. Ramesha, N. C. Mahendra Babu and H. V. Lakshminarayana (2018) Fracture Mechanics Analysis of Fuselage Structural Joints with Cracks, Advance in Structural Integrity, Proceedings of SICE 2016, Springer, pp 15 – 26
- Bharath Hemanth, N. C. Mahendra Babu, H. G. Shivakumar and S. Srikari, Design and Analysis of Grid Stiffened Fuselage Panel with Curved Stiffeners, Advances in Mechanical Design, Materials and Manufacture, AIP Conf. Proc. 1943, 020006 – 1 – 020006 – 8
- Yogesh K., Anantheshaa, Mahendra Babu N.C., Assessment of Thermo Mechanical Fatigue Performance of an Exhaust Manifold through Simulation, Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 10 (11), pp 1 – 6
- N.C. Mahendra Babu, K. Ramachandra, S.N. Sridhara , Studies on Cold Expansion Practices/Theories: A Review, Presented / published at “ International Conference on Manufacturing 2002” ( ICM 2002), organized by Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology, held at Dhaka, Bangladesh, in August 2002.
- N. C. Mahendra Babu, T. Jagadish, K. Ramachandra, S. N. Sridhara, Finite Element Predictions of Residual stresses in cold worked fastener holes, Presented / published at “ Indo –Japan International Conference on Damage Tolerant Design and Materials”(DTDM), organized by I.I.T., MADRAS, Chennai, from December 16th to 18th 2004.
- N. C. Mahendra Babu, T. Jagadish, K. Ramachandra, S. N. Sridhara, Effect of percentage expansion and plate thickness on induced beneficial residual stresses in a cold expanded fastener hole: A study, Presented / published at International Conference on Recent Advances in Mechanical And Materials Engineering ( ICRAMME 2005) in University of Malaya, Kaula Lampur, Malaysia on 30th May and 31st May, 2005.
- N. C. Mahendra Babu, T. Jagadish, K. Ramachandra, S. N. Sridhara, 3‑D Finite Element Simulation of Cold Expansion of a circular hole: A new approach, Presented / published at the international conference on Total Engineering, Analysis & Manufacturing Technologies (Team Tech-2006), during 28 Febraury‑2 March 2006 held at J.N.Tata Auditorium, Indian Institute of Science(IISc), Bangalore.
- S. Anil Kumar, Dr N. C. Mahendra Babu, Fatigue Crack Growth Life Prediction around Cold Expanded Hole using Finite Element Method, International Conference on “Advances in Manufacturing and Materials Engineering (ICAMME 2014)” organized by NITK, Surathkal on March 27 – 29, 2014.
- S. Anil Kumar, Dr N. C. Mahendra Babu, Numerical Simulation of Cold Expansion of Cut-out with Semi-Circular Ends,International Conference on Advances in Design and Manufacturing (ICAD&M’14), ISBN 978−93−84743−12−3 © 2014 Bonfring.
- H. Ramesh, N. C. Mahendra Babu, H.V. Lakshminarayana Finite Element Modeling for Fracture Mechanics Analysis of Circumferential Butt Joint of Aircraft Fuselage Structures, International Conference on Advances in Design and Manufacturing (ICD&M’T), ISBN 978−93−84743−12−3 © 2014 Bonfring.
- H. Ramesh, N. C. Mahendra Babu, H.V. Lakshminarayana, Longitudinal Lap Joint of Fuselage Structure:Finite Element Modeling and Simulation, International Conference on Industrial, Mechanical and Production Engineering, Advancements and Current Trends Department of Mechanical Engineering. MANIT, Bhopal November 27−29−2014
- Janardhan P , N C Mahendra babu, Effect of Foreign Object Damage on Fatigue Life of Compressor Blades in a Gas Turbine Engine, SAS TECH Journal, Vol 7, Issue no.1, April 2008, pp 66 – 73
- Ramakrishna N Bhat, N C Mahendra babu, Ajith Kumar Dynamic Characterization ofa Multi Stage Axial Compressor Test Rig Rotor System”, SAS TECH Journal, Vol 9, Issue no.1, April 2010, pp 41 – 48
- Malay Kumar Kheto , N C Mahendra babu, J Madan, Fretting Fatigue Analysis in Dovetail Joint of Compressor through Numerical Simulation, SASTECH Journal, Vol 8, Issue no.1, April 2009, pp 77 – 84
- Philip, B. & Mahendrababu, N. C. (2010) Numerical Estimation of Fatigue Life of Aeroengine Fan Blades. SASTECH Journal, 9, 2011, No.2, pp. 47 – 54.
- S. Anil Kumar, N.C. Mahendra Babu, “The Effect ofCold Expansion on Fatigue Life of Closely Spaced Adjacent Fastener Holes”, RUAS-SASTech Journal, Vol.16 (1), pp. 17 – 20, 2017.
- S. Anil Kumar, N.C. Mahendra Babu, “Prediction of Fatigue Crack Growth Rate for an Elongated Cut-Out Hole ”, Proceedings of National Conference on Current Developments and its Applications in Mechanical Engineering (NCCDAME) organized by KSIT, Bangalore-560 109 during 10th ‑12th , May 2017, ISBN 978−81−929425−2−0, pp. 27 – 30