Dr. Madhavan V heads the Department of Pharmacognosy and is the Dean of FPH at RUAS. His educational accomplishments include a Master’s degree in Pharmacy, a Ph.D. degree besides a Diploma in Business Management. His four decades as a professional comprise over 3 years of industrial experience and 36 years in academia. His research focuses on the pharmacognostic, phytochemical, and pharmacological evaluation and standardization of herbal drugs/medicinal plants. He has been conducting systematic research to standardize controversial medicinal plants used in Ayurveda/Indian systems of Medicine to help medical practitioners and manufacturers of herbal products identify and use the correct species for treating ailments.
He coordinated the establishment of an academic and research institution imparting Pharmacy education in the form of M.S. Ramaiah College of Pharmacy (1992). Based on the research findings, he has published a book titled “Pharmacognostical Assessment of Novel Potential Medicinal Plants.” He is a reviewer for international and Indian journals. He has served as the Chairman/Co-chairman for APTI, IPC conferences, and also scientific sessions relating to Pharmacognosy. He was recognized as “Best Professor in Pharmacognosy Studies” by the Dewang Mehta National Education Awards Committee in 2019.
Total Years Of Experience in Industry :
3 Years 3 Months.
Total Years Of Experience in Academics :
Training imparted relating to HPTLC and similar instrumentations.
Research Interests :
- Pharmacognostical, Phytochemical, and Pharmacological Evaluation.
- Standardization of Herbal Drugs / Medicinal Plants.
Research Expertise :
- Systematic Research to standardize “controversial” medicinal plants used in Ayurveda / Indian Systems of Medicine so that the medical practitioners and manufacturers of herbal products can identify & use the correct species for treating the ailments.
- Awarded as a” Best Professor in Pharmacognosy Studies’ by Deang Mehta National Education Awards committee in Nov 2019.
- Achievements: Coordinated the establishment of an academic & research institution imparting Pharmacy education namely M.S. Ramaiah College of Pharmacy in the year 1992.
- This institution got the ranking of 11th Pharmacy institution in the country in the
the year 2015 out of nearly 1008 Pharmacy colleges imparting various Pharmacy
courses in one magazine survey.
- In this Research institution successfully carried out research activities on herbal drugs relating to Pharmacognosy, Pharmacology & Phytochemistry, and standardized 22 medicinal plants used in Ayurveda & brought out a book namely “Pharmacognostical Assessment of Novel Potential Medicinal Plants” to benefit the stakeholders.
- Reviewer for the International Journal – Pharmaceutical Biology, Published by Taylor & Francis, Philadelphia, U.S.A.
- Reviewer for the Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education & Research
Published by All India Pharmacy Teachers Association of India, Bangalore.
- Chairman / Co-chairman for APTI & IPC Conferences & Scientific Sessions
relating to Pharmacognosy.
Life Member : Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India [APTI]
Life Member : Indian Pharmaceutical Association [IPA]
Life Member : Association of Community Pharmacists in India
Life Member : Karnataka State Pharmacy Council
As the Chairman, Institutional Animal Ethics Committee, FPH, RUAS
Member of the Inspectors of Pharmacy Council of India, New Delhi