As a Professor at the Department of Electrical Engineering, RUAS, Dr Indira M S offers a rich blend of experience and expertise in teaching, research and administration that she has accumulated in the past 36 years. In addition, she is Associate Dean (Academic Affairs) at the university. Highly appreciated for being the first lady principal of an Engineering Institution in Karnataka, she has been recognized as “Outstanding Professor, RUAS (2020).” Dr Indira obtained her Bachelor’s degree from Bangalore University, Master’s degree from IISc Bangalore and her doctoral degree in High Voltage Engineering. Her interests in research are mainly focused on extending the applications of high voltage engineering, power systems, electric vehicles and microgrids.
PhD in High Voltage Engineering
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
PG in High Voltage Engineering
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
UG in Electrical Engineering
BMS College of Engineering, Bangalore University
Total years of Experience :
- Lecturer in Dept of EEE — MSRIT — Banglore — 11 Years (1985 – 1996)
- Assistant Professor — Dept of EEE — Sir MVIT — Bangalore — 3 Years (1999−2001)
- Professor and HOD — Dept of EEE — Sir MVIT — Bangalore — 7 Years (2001−2008)
- Principal — Dept of EEE — Sir MVIT — Bangalore — 9 Years (2008−2017)
- Professor and Associate Dean — UG (FET) — Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences — Bangalore — (2017 ‑Present)
- Research scholar — IISc — Bangalore — 3 Years (1996 — 1999)
Applications of High Voltage Engineering,Power Systems, Electric Vehicle, Microgrid
High Voltage Engineering
- High Voltage Engineering
- Power Systems
- Electric Vehicle
International Conferences : 3
- Theoretical & Experimental model for particle initiated breakdown in GIS, IEEE, TSEI Conference, Washington D.C. USA, (Travel Grant from DST & IISc),June 7 – 11, 1998.
- Experimental studies on the Mitigation of Chance Outages in GIS due to Conducting particles, High Voltage Engg. Symposium 22 – 27,Conference Publication No. 467, IEE 1999, London, August 1999.
- Cross Connected Source based Reduced Switch Count Multilevel Inverter Topology with Fault Tolerance. In 2019 IEEE International Conference on Global Conference for Advancement in Technology (GCAT), 2019, October Bangalore, India.
National Conferences : 6
- Plasma Nitriding, Workshop –cum symposium on beams and Plasma application material technology, BARC, Bombay,Jan 31 – Feb 2, 1990.
- Fuse free design of power converters based on the estimation of temperature rise of the device, IEE sponsored National Conference on “Power Engineering Practices and Energy Management “PEPEM
‘05”pp, 275- 279, January 28 & 29, 2005.
- Power IGBT drive circuit with voltage control to increase fault withstand capacity, PCTCON’-06, Dindigul, Tamil Nadu, April 2006.
- Identification of critical outages of a power system using fuzzy approach, Fourth National Conference on Advances in Energy Conversion Technologies , 2011,Manipal Institute of Technology, Feb 03 – 05, 2011.
- Reactive power optimisation and stability improvement using fuzzy approach, National Conference on Advances in Engineering Systems, 2012, M.S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore.
- Transformers for Submersible Applications, Fifth National conference on “Advances in Energy Conversion Technologies”, Feb 2 – 4 ‚2012, Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal. Published in AECT 2012 conference proceedings
- Implementation of MTDC link for AC/DC system and determination of available transfer capability, Proceedings of National Conference, NCPS, 13th Oct 2012, Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, ACIT, Bangalore-90.
- A Technical review of harmonics present in electrical distribution system, National Conference on Power Distribution (NCPD), Bangalore, Feb, 6th & 7th 2014. The Journal of CPRI
International Journals : 11
- Motion of conducting particles causing inadvertent outages in GIS, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics Electrical Insulation Vol. 7 No. 2 page No. 247 – 253, April 2000.
- Voltage control by modal analysis in a practical power network, IETECH Journal of Electrical Analysis, 2007, Vol. 1, No.2, 125 – 129.
- Voltage stability improvement using fuzzy approach, IETECH Journal of Electrical Analysis, 2010, Vol. 4 No. 2, 076 – 83.
- Enhancement of Voltage stability under normal and network contingency using fuzzy approach, Internal journal – Atti Della “Fondazione Gioragio Ronchi” ANN No.LXVII, Feb 2012, N.I. RFID and GPS based automatic lane clearance system for ambulance, International Journal of Advanced Electrical and Electronics Engineering, ISSN(Printed):2278 – 8948,Vol 2, No. 03,2013.
- Improvement of power system stability margins using real power scheduling under normal and network contingencies, International Journal of Enhanced Research in Science, Technology and Engineering, September 2014.
- Network contingency ranking using fuzzy approach under and line outages and voltage stability enhancement of power system network with UPFC, SSRG International Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, April, 2016.
- Reactive rower dispatch by modal analysis based on contingency ranking and comparison with other techniques, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science Engineering and Technology, Vol. 6,
No.10, Oct 17.
- Optimised Business model for effective charging of batteries in electric vehicles, International Journal of Business and Globalization, Accepted,(2018) Abstract published on website: www.inderscience publishers
(Listed in forthcoming publications)
- A New Three Phase Multilevel Inverter Topology with Symmetrical and Asymmetrical Algorithms,” TEST Engineering & Management, ISSN: 0193- 4120, Vol. 82, No. 1, pp. 8633 — 8644, Feb. 2020. (Scopus Indexed Journal listed in Q4).
- Design and Development of Three DoF Solar Powered Smart Spraying Agricultural Robot, TEST Engineering & Management, Vol. 83: pp.5235- 5242. March-April 2020. (Scopus Indexed Journal Q4).
- A Novel controller for high voltage low current DC power supply in ESP,(Submitted).
National Journals : 2
- Methods of optimal charging of lead-acid battery for improving its performance and life span, The Journal of CPRI, Vol No.4, December 2014.
- A study of boost converter with solar photovoltaic system for maximum energy efficiency, The Journal of CPRI, Vol.II, No.1, March 2015 pp.133 – 138.
Book Chapter: 1
- “Modified Cascaded Reversing Voltage Multilevel Inverter using Optimal Switching Angle Technique for Photovoltaic Applications” 978−981−15−4691−4, Springer Nature (Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering), 2020.
Google Scholar Id: GIIkP34AAAAJ
- Recipient of National Merit Scholarship(PUC and BE), GoI
- Recognition as First lady principal of an Engineering Institution in the state of Karnataka
- Outstanding Professor ‚RUAS,2020
- Ministry of Power, CPRI, Design and development of a 5kVA, 3 ph, 415V v/f inverter for AC rail coaches- (2003)-PI
- VTU Research Grants, Design and Development Power Controller for High Voltage Low Current Power Supply-(2010)-PI
- Alstom, Device to measure third harmonic current
- VGST and KSCST : 04 projects
Subject Expert, UPSC,KPSC
Selection Committee Member
Subject Expert, VTU nominee
Selection Committee Member
MVSIT Mangalore, BIT Bangalore, NITTE Meenakshi Institute of Technology Bangalore, Bagalkot Engineering College, PDA College Gulburga
PhD registration committee -2010
Board of Studies, EEE,VTU(2010-13)-Introduced Electrical CAD, instrumental for introducing laboratory component for PG courses
Board of Examiners,EEE,VTU,2014-15
Board of Examiner VTU (2003-04)-Responsible for introducing industry relevant courses like microcontrollers, PLC, EMC etc.
Practical Exams- UG, Bangalore region, VTU:PG, Karnataka
Board of Studies VTU(2 consecutive terms)
PGCET,ULART , TAT, Bangalore university PhD entrance exam
VTU Web Based Education
Nominated by V.T.U. - DPGC of R V College of Engineering, Bangalore
VIAT, Muddenhalli, VTU
Research Review committee