Dr Chetan Singai has obtained his doctoral degree (PhD) from the National Institute of Advanced Studies, Indian Institute of Science Campus, Bengaluru, India. His doctoral thesis was on ‘Higher Education and University Governance in India: A case study of a public and private university. He completed his MPhil in Law and Governance at the Centre for the Study of Law and Governance, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. Chetan received his master’s in political science from the Centre for Political Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. He received the prestigious Erasmus Mundus Scholarship to pursue a Master’s in Lifelong Learning: Policy and Management, a joint degree from the University of London (UK), the University of Aarhus (Denmark) and the University of Deusto (Spain). Chetan has worked as Assistant Professor at the National Law School of India University, Bengaluru and St. Joseph’s College (Autonomous), Bengaluru. He was associated with Janaagraha Center for Citizenship and Democracy, Bengaluru, as Research Fellow; as a Research Associate with the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances, Government of India, New Delhi and National Human Rights Commission, New Delhi. He has been DAAD visiting-faculty Julius-Maximilians-University of Wurzburg, Germany, from 2014 to 2017. He is a recipient of the Social Justice Medal awarded by the Ministry of Law and Justice, Government of India, for his service towards Human Rights and Women Empowerment by the Hon’ble Chief Justice of India in 2007.
He is associated with Quacquarelli Symonds-India (QS ‑World Ranking) as Senior Consultant, and he is a Member, Academic Council, Karnataka Residential Educational Institutions Society (KRIES), Government of Karnataka. He serves as Joint Secretary, Centre for Educational and Social Studies (CESS), Bengaluru (www.cessedu.org). He has been nominated as a Member of the Committee to Finalize the Draft National Education Policy-2020 constituted by the Ministry of Human Resource Ministry (MHRD), Government of India (June 2019 – July 29, 2020). He was associated with the Committee to Draft the National Education Policy-2017 – 2019 (Padma Vibhushan Dr K. Kasturirangan), Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, New Delhi as Chief Consultant (Technical Secretariat at NAAC, Bengaluru). He was associated as Member-Secretary to the committee to review the Quality Mandate relating to the promotion of research and M.Phil./Ph.D. Regulation in India (Committee chaired by Padma Bhushan Dr P. Balaram, Former Director Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru) (February to June 2019). Currently, he has been nominated as Member-Convenor to the Sub-committee to draft the Implementation Roadmap on Governance and Regulation in Higher Education aligned to the NEP-2020 by the Government of Karnataka.
National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS), Indian Institute of Science campus, Bengaluru, KA, India
MA in Political Science
Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
M.Phil in Law and Governance
Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
European Masters in Lifelong Learning
Joint degree from the University of London, UK; University of Aarhus, Denmark and University of Deusto, Spain
- Deputy Director, Ramaiah Public Policy Center, Bengaluru, KA, India
- Associate Professor (Political Science), Ramaiah College of Law Bengaluru, KA,
- Assistant Professor (Political Science), National Law School of India University, Bengaluru, KA, India
- Research Fellow, Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship and Democracy, Bangalore, India
- Adjunct Faculty, Centre for European Studies, Manipal Academy of Higher Education (Manipal Deemed-to-be-University), Manipal, KA, India
- Singai, C., Syn, T., Swamy, T. R. K., & Chandra, A. (2017). Harnessing the Deluge and Drought of Text Data for Policy Analysis: An Ontological Approach. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Public Policy (ICPP3). Singapore.
- Ramaprasad, A., Singai, C., & Hasan, T. (2014) Envisioning an Inclusive Higher Education System: Mapping the Differentiation and Integration. Proceedings of the 9th Annual International Conference on Public Policy and Management (August 11 – 13, 2014), Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Bengaluru, India.
- Kurup, A., Tukdeo, S., Singai, C. and Muthiah, K. (2014) Engagements in Higher Education – seminar reports, Education Programme, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bengaluru. ISBN: 978−93−83566−08−2.
- Ramaprasad, A., Hasan, T & Singai, C., (2013) Higher Education Reforms: A Method for Looking Back- Looking Forward, Centre for Education Policy Studies, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia. ISBN: 978−961−253−153−9 (Pg. 240)
- Ramaprasad, A., Niranjana, T., Hasan, T., Singai, C., and Dhanaraju, B (November 20, 2012). A Higher Education System for a Knowledge Society in Karnataka. Final report submitted to Karnataka Jnana Aayoga (Karnataka Knowledge Commission), Government of Karnataka, http://hecell.in, http://www.cscsarchive.org
- Singai, C., Govindarajan, U (2011) Understanding the Quality of Citizenship in Bangalore: The role of civic literacy and civic engagement in collaboration with Yale University, New Haven, USA. Pp. 35. Presented at the South Asia Centre Conference on Urban India: Historical Processes and Contemporary Experience April 2011. [http://www.yale.edu/macmillan/southasia/urbanindia/papers.html]
- Yirga, A., Singai, C. and Chao, R., (2009) Lifelong Learning in Romania, Denmark, Poland and Serbia: A comparative perspective (2009) for the project on Developing Lifelong Learning National Framework in Serbia, Tempus- IV project, European Commission, Denmark- Serbia. Pp. 24.
- · Member, Standing Committee, PARAMARSH-Mount Carmel College (Autonomous), Bengaluru — UGC Scheme for mentoring NAAC Accreditation aspirant institutions to promote Quality Assurance in Higher Education
- Member, Committee to Finalize the Draft National Education Policy-2019 (Dr K. Kasturirangan) constituted by the Ministry of Human Resource Ministry (MHRD), Government of India.
- Member, Sub-committee to review the Draft National Education Policy-2019 for Karnataka (Chairman: Sri. SV Ranganath, Vice Chairman, KSHEC), constituted by the Karnataka State Higher Education Council, Government of Karnataka
- Member-Secretary, U.G.C. Committee to review the Quality Mandate to promote research and M.Phil./Ph.D. constituted by Chairman, U.G.C., (Chairman: Dr P. Balaram, Former Director, IISc, Bangalore)
- Chief Consultant, Committee to Draft the National Education Policy-2017 (Chairman: Dr K. Kasturirangan) constituted by the Ministry of Human Resource Ministry (MHRD), Government of India.
- Senior Consultant, Quacquarelli Symonds (QS ‑World Ranking) — Educational Rating Assessment (ERA.) Foundation – QS I·GAUGE Rating Framework, ERA Foundation, Lavelle Road, Bengaluru
- Member, Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC), Mount Carmel College (Autonomous), Bengaluru (Accredited with A+ by NAAC (2019).
- Member, Internal Quality Assurance Cell, SKE Society Group of Colleges, Karnataka. (Accredited with B++ by NAAC (2018)
- Member, Academic Council, Karnataka Residential Educational Institutions Society (KRIES), Government of Karnataka
- Member, Academic Board of Studies, Department of Political Science, Lingaraj College, Rani Channamma University, Belgaum, Karnataka
- Member, Academic Board of Studies, Centre for European Studies, Manipal Academy of Higher Education (Manipal Deemed-to-be-University), Manipal, KA,
- An Ontological Analysis of Challenges Involved in Urban Solid Waste Management, EGRWSE-2019, June 16 – 20, 2019, University of Illinois, Chicago, USA.
- Revisiting the Contours of the Discipline of International Relations:
Perspectives from the Global South in the session on Alternative Conceptualizations of Political Science and International Relations (RC 33), 25th IPSA-World Congress of Political Science, 21 – 25 July 2018, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Harnessing the Deluge and Drought of Text Data for Policy Analysis: An Ontological Approach in 3rd International Conference on Public Policy at Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University, Singapore organised by International Public Policy Association (IPPA) (Panel: P21 Data for Policy Analysis). (28 – 30 June 2017)
- Categorizing the Disadvantaged and Public Policy in Dr B.R Ambedkar International conference on Reclaiming Social Justice: Revisiting Ambedkar (invited speaker), Government of Karnataka, Bengaluru (21−23 July 2017)
- Teaching in College: Exploring Experiences, Examining Identities an Ethnographic Study in 6th Annual International Comparative Education Society of India, Azim Premji University, Bengaluru (14 – 16, December 2015)
- http://www.cesindia.net/uploads/3/0/3/2/30328461/schedula_2015_11_final_a.pdf see page No.
- 18 for further details.
- Education and Development of Women in India: Analysing Gaps between Policy and Practice in 4th International Conference on Indian Ocean Comparative Education Society (IOCES), Bengaluru, June 16 – 17, 2015.
- Higher Education Policies for its Principal Mission: The Changes and Constants. 11th Annual Workshop on Higher Education Reform. St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada
- Envisioning an Inclusive Higher Education System: Mapping the Differentiation and Integration, 9th Annual International Conference on Public Policy and Management, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (August 11 to 13, 2014). http://www.iimb.ernet.in/sites/default/files/ninth-annual-international-conference-on- public-policy-and-management-2014.pdf
- Rethinking Higher Education Research: Ontology Mapping of Higher Education Systems, a conference on ‘Higher Education in a Globalized World’ organized by Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia (HERDSA) Conference, Hong Kong (7 to July 10 2014).
- Higher Education and Universities in India: Emerging Directions and the way forward in International Conference on Higher Education in the 21st Century: Opportunities and Challenges, St. Joseph’s College of Arts and Science (Autonomous), Bengaluru (December 1 – 12, 2014)
- Social Inequalities in Higher Education: Role of Open Distance Learning in Democratizing Higher Education in India in International Seminar on Social Inequalities in Higher Education: Identifying Parallels in India and Brazil, University of Pune, Pune (23 – 24th May 2014).
- Not-So-Literate: The Problem of Skilling and re-Skilling Adults in India in National Seminar on Prior Learning and its Integration in Re-skilling of Neo – literates (sponsored by ICSSR, New Delhi), Delhi University, March 18, 2016.
- The Public and the Private Dichotomy: An Enquiry in the University Agency and Structure, in National Seminar on Education and Public Sphere: Exploring the Structures of Mediation in Post-Colonial India, Centre for Advanced Studies, Zakhir Husain Centre for Education Studies, JNU, New Delhi, March 17, 2016.
- Equity and Access in Higher Education: Analysing the Policy of Rashtriya Uchchtar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) in National Seminar on Higher Education Transformation in India: Changing Contexts and Institutional Responses, Indian Academy Degree College, Bengaluru, 28th-29th, April 2014.
- University and Industry Linkages in India: A Catalyst for Excellence? at the National Conference on “Technology: Corporate and Social Dimensions”, jointly organized by Forum for Global Knowledge Sharing; Indian National Academy of Engineering and National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India, October 27 – 29, 2014.
- Co-Principal Investigator (2019). Scientometric and Ontological Mapping of Solid Waste Management. NSTMIS-DST, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India
- Co-Project Director (2019). A World-Class Higher Education System for Karnataka: Mapping and Analyzing the Landscape of the Karnataka’s Knowledge Ecology, sponsored by Karnataka State Higher Education Council (KSHEC), Government of Karnataka.
- Principal Investigator (2017−2020) — Research Study on Education, Social, Health and Economic Status of Manual Scavengers in the State of Karnataka – An empirical study sponsored project by the Department of Social Welfare, Government of Karnataka.
- Principal Investigator (2017−2020) — Research Study on Social, Health and Economic Status of Paurakarmikas in the State of Karnataka – An empirical study sponsored project by the Department of Social Welfare, Government of Karnataka.
- Project Coordinator (2019) — Real Estate Regulation Registration Act in Karnataka, the grant received from the National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bengaluru [Accepted and submitted on August 30 2019]
- Co-Principal Investigator (2011 to 2012) — Mapping Knowledge Ecology of Karnataka funded by Karnataka Knowledge Commission, Government of Karnataka.
- Singai, C and Kumari, S. (2020). State and Political Obligation: Concepts, theories and approaches. MPP Book House. Karnataka, India. ISBN: 978 – 8194769644
- Singai, C (2010). Railway Reforms in India: A Transition from Regulation to Privatization. Varleg VDM Publishers: Germany. ISBN: 978 – 3639249484
SCOPUS Indexed Journals
- Anilkumar, M., Ramaprasad, A., Singai, C., and Sreeganga, S., (2021). An Ontological Analysis of Space Policy and Law: India’s Space Activities Bill 2017. Astropolitics.
- Singai, C.; Kumaraswamy, TR.; Chandra, A. (2020). Reforming Higher Education in India: In Pursuit of Excellence. Editorial Universitat Politècnica de València. 1209 – 1213. https://doi.org/10.4995/HEAd20.2020.11237.
- Kashyap, S., Anilkumar, M., Ramaprasad, A., Sanjeev, A., Singai, C., Thodika, N. K., & Ramaprasad, A. (2020). Silos to systems for solid waste management. Current Science. Vol. 119, No. 7. Pg. 1075 – 1076. https://www.currentscience.ac.in/Volumes/119/07/1075.pdf
- Anilkumar, M. and Singai, C. (2020). India needs a comprehensive space policy. Current Science. Vol. 118. No.4. Pg. 522 – 523. https://www.currentscience.ac.in/Volumes/118/04/0522.pdf
- Anilkumar, M.; Singai, C.; Ramaprasad, A. (2020). A Systematic Assessment Framework for Higher-Education Institutions. Editorial Universitat Politècnica de València. 527 – 534. https://doi.org/10.4995/HEAd20.2020.11102.
- Simeon-Fayomi, C., Singai, C., & Oludeyi, O.S. (2019). Soft Skills for Young Adults: Circuit in the Formal, Non-formal and Informal Models’. Journal of Issues and Ideas in Education. Volume No. 01 March, Pp. 99 – 112. ISSN: 2320 – 7655. https://doi.org/10.1002/JIIE.18
- Acharya, V, Halanaik, B, Ramaprasad, A, Swamy, K, Singai, C & Syn, T (2019). Transboundary sharing of river water: Informating the Policies. River Research and Applications. Wiley Online. https://doi.org/10.1002/rra.3564
- Doyle, L., Egetenmeyer, R., Singai, C., & Devi, U. (2016). Professionalization as development and as regulation: Adult education in Germany, the United Kingdom and India. International Review of Education, 1 – 25. ISSN: 0020 – 8566.
- Singh, A & Singai, C., Et.al. (2009). Inclusive Water Governance: A Global Necessity. Lesson from India. Journal of Transition Studies Review. Springer: New York. ISSN: 1614 – 4007. DOI 10.1007/s11300-009 – 00910.
UGC Care Indexed Journals
- Rajashree, K., Singai, C., & Shimray, S. A. (2020). Advancements in Legal Education in India: Challenges and Opportunities for Interdisciplinary Research. Asian Journal of Legal Education, 2322005820946699. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2322005820946699
- Singai, C. (2020). Prioritizing women in higher education: National Education Policy-2020. Journal of Humanities and Social Science Studies. Vol. 9, Issue. 2. Pg. 35 – 42 http://hsssjournal.com/2020-vol-9-issue‑2/
- Singai, C. (2017). Recognition of Prior Learning, Skill Development and Migration: The Construction Sector in India. Indian Journal of Adult Education, Vol. 78, No. 04. October- December 2017. New Delhi: India. ISSN: 0019 – 5006.
- Hasan, T., Ramaprasad, A., & Singai, C. (2014) Rethinking Higher Education Research: Ontology Mapping of Higher Education Systems. In A, Kwan, E. Wong, T. Kwong, P. Lau & A. Goody (Eds.) Research and Development in Higher Education: Higher Education in a Globalized World, Vol. 37 (pp161-171). ISSN: 1441 001X (Peer-reviewed)
- Singai, C. (2010) An enquiry into the reasons for Lack of Participation in Learning among Individual adult learners: A Case study of India. International Journal for Educational Studies. Volume 2(2), February. ISSN: 19797877.
- Singai, C. (2008) Police and ‘Inclusiveness’: An Agenda for Future Reforms in Indian Police System, in International Journal of Ethics in Policing, Volume 1, Issue 1. England. ISSN:1750 – 4856.
- Singai, C (2019). The Public and Private Dichotomy: An empirical insight into the University Governance in India in Babu, S (Eds.) Education and the Public Sphere Exploring the Structures of Mediation in Postcolonial India. (1st Edition). Routledge: UK.
- Kurup, A. & Singai, C. (2017). Redefining University Education in India: Pedagogy and Student Voices in Hornsby, D & Osman, R. (Eds.) in Palgrave Critical University Studies Series: UK. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978 – 3‑319 – 46176-2_10
- Singai, C., (2016) Higher Education and New Media: Beyond’ Brick-and-Mortar’ Education Institutions in India – Democratizing Education? In Victor, J (Ed.) Impact of New Media on Education, MJP Publishers: Chennai (ISBN 978−81−80942−82−2)
- Singai, C., (2016) Democracy and Citizenship: Unpacking the Role of Civic Literacy and Civic Engagement in Kumar, S., Prakash, S., & Patil, S., (Eds.) Contemporary Indian Politics – Internal Dynamics and External Compulsions. Pinnacle Learning Publications: New Delhi (ISBN 978−93−83848−23−2)
- Singai, C., Gioli, G., Riemer, E., Regmi, K. D., Mastrokoukou, S., & Singh, S. (2015) Knowledge economy and demographic change: Comparative case study of Europe and South Asia. Adult Education and Lifelong Learning in Europe and Beyond, 67.http://www.peterlang.com/open_access_files/266635e_Egetenmeyer_book.pdf
- Gupta, P & Singai, C., (2015) Education and Tribals in the Era of Globalisation: Unpacking the Idea of ‘Institutional’ Mainstreaming in Albal, D., Et.al., Impact of Globalisation on Indian Society, Pranati Publications: Bangalore. Pp. 40 – 46. [ISBN: 978 – 81-910788 – 9‑3]
- Singai, C, Sayal, R & Manisha (2014). Key Challenges in Indian Higher Education: Interpreting Quality in the Context of Expansion, in Dinesha, P.T & Ramesh (2014). Higher Education Between Quality and Reservation. Gyan Books: New Delhi. [ISBN: 9351280500]
- Singai, C (2012) E‑governance and the ‘Developing’ countries: Conceptual and theoretical explorations, in Muhkopadyay, Et. Al. Driving the Economy through Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Emerging Agenda for Technology Management, DOI 10.1007÷978−81− 322‑0746-7_52. (Department of Management Studies, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore): Springer. Pp. 655 – 664 [ISBN 978 – 81-322‑0745‑0]
- Singai, C. (2011) The Bologna Process and the ‘Tuning’ Europe: Prospective Methodology for higher education curriculum design and delivery in India in Gupte, Et. Al. (Ed), Internationalization of Higher Education. Excel Publications. New Delhi: India. [ISBN 978 – 81-7446 – 980‑9]
- What a Biden White House might mean for India (https://www.thestatesman.com/opinion/biden-white-house-might-mean-india-1502944695.html)
- Enabling an Ecosystem for Vocational Education and Training for African Students in India (https://diplomatist.com/2020/10/31/enabling-an-ecosystem-for-vocational-education-and-training-for-african-students-in-india/)
- How India could profit from health diplomacy (https://www.thestatesman.com/opinion/india-profit-health-diplomacy-1502906439.html)
- · Checking China without joining an alliance (https://www.thestatesman.com/opinion/checking-china-without-joining-alliance-1502914325.html)
- Diplomacy for Science & Technology to Manage COVID-19 Pandemic (https://thesciencepolicyforum.org/articles/ramaiah-webinar-on-diplomacy-for-science-technology-for-managing-covid-19/)
- Relations with China — drifting apart or drifting closer? (https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/relations-with-china-drifting-apart-or-drifting-closer)
- Make anti-defection law stringent, effective (https://www.deccanherald.com/opinion/main-article/make-anti-defection-law-stringent-effective-876964.html)
- African Students in India’ Internationalization at Home’ (https://diplomatist.com/2019/12/29/african-students-in-india-internationalization-at-home/)
- DAAD “A New Passage to India” Grant for Teaching at University of Wurzburg, Germany (German Academic Exchange Service), Ministry of Education, Germany
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarship, European Commission, Europe
- Social Justice Medal, Hon’ble Chief Justice of India, Ministry of Law and Justice, Government of India [for service towards Human Rights]
International Political Science Association, USA.
Comparative Education Society of India (CESI), New Delhi (Reg. No. 688)
Indian Adult Education Association (Membership No. 2165)
Indian Political Science Association (Membership No. 3169)