Dr. Prathab, Professor of microbiology, brings 27 years of experience as a medical professional and 21 years of experience as a Microbiologist. He is Registrar — Academics at Ramaiah Medical College since 2013 and currently is Joint Controller of Examinations, RUAS
- He has a particular interest in diagnostic bacteriology with a special emphasis on Hospital Infection control.
- He is also a part of the Medical Education Cell and has a keen interest in curriculum development and evaluation systems in medical education
- He has been a part of implementing quality systems including NABL,NABH& NAAC .
Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
Sri Siddhartha Medical College – Tumakuru
PG Cum Tutor, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal – (August 1999 – June 2002) — 3 Years.
M.S. Ramaiah Medical College — Bangalore – (September 2002 — Ongoing) — 20 Year 2 Months
- Lecturer (September 2002 — November 2005) — 3 Years
- Asst. Professor (December 2005 — November 2007) — 2 Years
- Associate Professor (December 2007 – November 2011) — 4 Years
- Professor (December 2011 – Ongoing) – 11 Years 11 Months
RESEARCH PROJECTS COMPLETED:
- Clinical & Epidemiological Correlation of Leptospirosis in KMCH, Manipal.
- A Randomised, Open-Labelled, Pilot Study Comparing Weight gain in adults with AIDS- Related Wasting given either Megestrol acetate Oral suspension (Megace) – PAR 002.
- Comparative Evaluation of Antimicrobial Efficacy of Chlorhexidine Digluconate and Propolis when used as an Intracanal Medicament – in vitro study ( Co-Guide, Post Graduate Dissertation – MDS, Endodontics)
- Incidence of Candidiasis in patients with oral carcinomas ‑Post- Radiotherapy ( Co-Guide, Post Graduate Dissertation – MD-Radiotherapy)
- Incidence of Enterococcal infections & antibiotic profile of clinical isolates from a tertiary care hospital. (Co-Guide, Post Graduate Dissertation – MD Microbiology)
- Evaluation of tests for detection of Hepatitis B infection in saliva of patients and comparison with standard serological tests. (Co-guide, Post graduate dissertation- Oral Medicine)
- Incidence of Neonatal Septicaemia in a tertiary care Hospital (Co-Guide, Post Graduate Dissertation – MD Microbiology)
- Bacterial contamination of keyboards and efficacy of disinfectants
- Questionnaire on Hand hygiene in health care professionals
- Co- Investigator – ICMR Project – “Upgrading of Diagnostic Molecular Biology labs in Medical Colleges in and around Bangalore.”
- Bacteriology of Ventilator associated Pneumonia in tertiary care Hospital (Guide, Post Graduate Dissertation – MD Microbiology)
- Bacteriology of wound infections in a tertiary care hospital (Guide, Post Graduate Dissertation – MD Microbiology)
- Co-Investigator- Identification of biomarkers for risk assessment of dengue – Multicentric study – RGUHS grant
- A study of bacterial isolates in suspected cases of catheter related blood stream infections in haemodialysis patients in a tertiary care hospital (Post Graduate Guide-Dissertation – MD Microbiology)
- Clinical& Epidemiological Correlation of Leptospirosis in KMCH, Manipal, Indian Journal of Medical Sciences, March 2003; Vol.57; 3.
- Protein losing enteropathy with strongyloides stercoralis, the Indian practitioner, September 2004; Vol. 57; No.9.
- Isospora belli infection in a patient with Hodgkin’s lymphoma – A case report, The antiseptic, Dec2010,Vol.107,no.12,580 – 581
- External Ophthalmomyiasis in a healthy adult male. (Calicut Medical journal – Jan –Mar ‑2011;9(1):e 4
- Systematic Approach to the Evaluation of Post Graduate Practical Examinations in Medical Microbiology — An Overview. Journal of Evolution of Medical & Dental Sciences Oct-2012, vol 1:issue4 :436 – 441
- Comparison of Settle plate method to air sampling device in surveillance of operation theatres in a tertiary care centre –. Journal Of Evolution of Medical & Dental Sciences Oct-2012, vol 1 :issue4 :371 – 381
- The Prevalence and characterization of the Enterococcus species from various clinical samples in a tertiary care hospital. Journal Of Clinical and Diagnostic research, Nov-2012, Vol‑6(9):1486 – 1488
- Objective Structured Practical Examination as a tool for evaluating competency in Gram staining. Journal of educational research&Medical teacher2013;1(1):48 – 50
- Ophthalmic parasitic zoonoses caused by dirofilaria repens. Journal of Clinical and biomedical sciences, 2013;3(3):41 – 42
- Study of sharp injuries and blood splash exposures among health care workers in a tertiary hospital in Bangalore ‚International Journal Of Infection control,2016Vol.12,No.3
- Characterization of aerobic bacteriological isolates from orthopaedic implant site infections with special reference to biofilm formation in a tertiary care hospital. Journal Of Evolution of Medical & Dental Sciences April-2015, vol 14 :issue 33 :563 – 564
- Bacteiological profile of ventilator associated pneumonia in a tertiary care hospital of south india with special reference to multidrug resistant pathogens. International journal of Current microbiology and applied sciences,2017 Vol.6,no.11: 541 – 548
- Bacteriological profile and antibiotic susceptibility patterns of wound infections in a tertiary care hospital in South India, Indian journal of microbiology research,2021;8(1)-76 – 85
- International workshop on AIDS &Immunology-KMC-Manipal Sep 2000
- XXVI Annual Congress-IAMM-Nimhans‑B’lre- Nov 2002
- XXVI Annual Congress-IAMM-Nimhans-CME on Infections of the central nervous system . B’lre — Nov 2002
- XXVI Annual Congress-IAMM-Nimhans-workshopon molecular methods in detection and typing of pathogens . B’lre — Nov 2002
- Workshop on Current concepts on UTI-St.johns Medical college-Jan 2003
- CME- Fluorescence techniques in clinical microbiology,Manipal hospital,b’lre Feb 2003
- Annual conference –IAMM-KC- KIMS‑B’lre- Feb 2003
- International Symposium& CME- Modern trends in Malaria – AIIMS-Delhi,Feb 2003
- Symposium on Acute Respiratory Disease –IISc –B’lre-Mar-2003
- Update in Genetics, MSRMC, Sep2003
- Workshop –opportunistic infections in HIV-CMC-Vellore-Jan 2004
- Indo-Australian conference on biotechnology in medicine-Aust.govt,IISc‑b’lre,Feb2004
- Preconference/annual meeting-IAMM-KC-Manipal hospital,b’lre-feb,2004
- Symposium- Leishmaniasis- Dorabji tata – Mar 2004
- Workshop on medical education technology –MSRMC-Aug2004
- Workshop-molecular methods in the investigation of nosocomial infections –Dorabji tata centre for research in tropical diseases-feb 2005
- Symposium- Viral Hepatitis- Dorabji tata- Mar 2005
- International telemedicine conference-ISRO –B’lre- Mar 2005
- Workshop on Fungal infections of the eye,ear&skin, St.johns Medical college-Aug-2005
- Sensitisation workshop on avian influenza – Govt.of Karnataka, directorate of health and family welfare services – Dec 2005
- 52nd National course on educational science for health professionals-NTTC-JIPMER,Pondicherry, Feb-March 2006
- Symposium- HIV-AIDS-Research issues- Dorabji tata – Mar 2006
- International CME,Symposium,workshop on Medical education, Datta meghe institute 0f medical sciences,Wardha, Jul 2006
- Chanre update- immunology and rheumatology – Dec 2006
- International conference on medical education,MSRMC-Jan 2007
- Symposium- Arthropod borne viral infections- Dorabji tata – Mar 2007
- Symposium on tuberculosis-Damien foundation India trust –MSRMC-May 2007
- FDP-Ramachandrauniversity,MCI,Harvard medical international,Chennai –Jul 2007
- CME- Dissertation-FDP- MSRMC- Nov-2008
- Symposium- Antimicrobial resistance- Dorabji tata- Mar 2008
- Chanre update- immunology and rheumatology – Dec 2009
- Symposium- diagnostics in infections- Dorabji tata- Mar 2010
- Workshop on Student Counselling – MSRMC-Feb 2011
- Symposium – Autoimmune diseases- bench to bedside –MSRMC- Aug2012
- CME- Neonatal Sepsis-MSRMC- Dec 2012
- QMS&Internal auditors training –ISO 15189 – 2007&NABL112REQUIREMENT, St.John’s med college,Feb 2013
- National Level Workshop- Revised methodology 2012-NAAC Assessment & Accreditation –Ramaiah college of arts, science &Commerce, April 2013
- CME-Ocular Mycosis – MSRMC-July 2013
- Basic course workshop in medical education technologies conducted by St.Johns Medical College, Regional Centre for Medical Education Technologies, MCI- Nov 2013
- Workshop on medical education technology, MSRMC- Nov 2013
- CME-Vector borne diseases, MSRMC-Mar 2014
- CME –TB Update – MSRMC-Nov 2014
- CME- TB with focus on Extrapulmonary TB –MSRMC-Mar2016
- Revised basic course workshop-St. john’s medical college, MCI Nodal centre-Oct 2016
- Sensitization programme-AT-COM-Module, St.john’s medical college, MCI Nodal centre-Oct 2016
- Workshop on Good Clinical Practice – MSRMC- May 2019
- Innovation ambassador training program –AICTE/MHRD’s Innovation cell – Feb 2020
- Workshop-Calibration process in basics of Quality control – ortho clinical diagnostics and MSRMC- Nov 2021
- BSc MLT – RGUHS, KARNATAKA,
- PG – ENTRANCE – TEST AUTHOR – MEDICAL & DENTAL
- MBBS — RGUHS, SRM University – Chennai
- MD – Microbiology – RGUHS, Balaji Vidyapeeth BDS, BSc MLT, Allied Health Sciences – RGUHSKARNATAKA
- MBBS — TAMILNAD, M.G.RUNIVERSITY – CHENNAI.
- SRI VINAYAKA MISSIONS UNIVERSITY – SALEM. SRM UNIVERSITY – CHENNAI, NTR UNIVERSITY – VIJAYAWADA
- BPT- RGUHS, KARNATAKA,
- PG – ENTRANCE – MEDICAL
- MBBS, MD — RGUHS
- MD –MICROBIOLOGY – Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences — Karnataka
- MD – Microbiology – Maharashtra University of Health sciences
- MD – Microbiology – Annamalai university – Tamilnadu
- MD – Microbiology – Sri Vinayaka missions university –Salem
- MD- Microbiology – Kerala University/MGR University-Chennai
- MSc-Medical Microbiology- NTR UNIVERSITY – VIJAYAWADA
- MBBS, BDS, BPT, BSc MLT, BSc PCBSc Nursing, Allied Health Sciences – RGUHS, KARNATAKA
- MBBS – SRI VINAYAKA MISSIONS UNIVERSITY
- SRM UNIVERSITY – CHENNAI
- NTR UNIVERSITY – VIJAYAWADA
- Maharashtra university of health sciences.
- SDUMC –KOLAR
- MD –MICROBIOLOGY – Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences – Karnataka/Annamalai university – Tamilnadu/Sri Vinayaka missions university ‑Salem
- Maharashtra University of Health sciences /MGR University-Chennai/ Kerala university (KUHAS)
- MSc-Medical Microbiology- NTR UNIVERSITY – VIJAYAWAD
- BDS, BSc MLT, Allied Health Sciences – RGUHS, KARNATAKA
- MBBS — TAMILNADU, M.G.R. UNIVERSITY – CHENNAI.
- SRI VINAYAKA MISSIONS UNIVERSITY – SALEM. SRM UNIVERSITY – CHENNAI
- NTR UNIVERSITY – VIJAYAWADA
INVITED LECTURES/RESOURCE PERSON:
- Malaria Diagnostics – Integrated Teaching Programme, Dept. of Paediatrics, MSRMC.2002,2003,2004.
- HIV- Lab Diagnosis — Integrated Teaching Programme ‚MSRMC. 2003,2004,2005,2006.
- Investigations in Microbiology, Interns Orientation, MSRMC. 2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2010.
- Microteaching , an Overview- Faculty Orientation, SRMC. 2007,2008,2009,2010.
- Consultation workshop on – strengthening medical education through curricular innovations- Jan 2007
- Validation of MCQ’s – Faculty Orientation Programmes MSRMC.2007.
- HIV& Blood Banking – Centre of Excellence, 3M Foundation – Bangalore.2007.
- HIV & Health Care Workers– Centre of Excellence, 3M Foundation – Bangalore.2007,2008.
- Universal Precautions in HIV, Centre of Excellence, 3M Foundation – Bangalore.2008.
- Hand hygiene — 3M Foundation – B’lre,2008
- Water Quality monitoring — 3M Foundation – B’lre,2008
- Immunization of Health Care Professionals – 3M Foundation – B’lre,2008
- HIV and AIDS — Maharani Lakshmi Ammani College for Women,2008
- FDP- MEC,MSRMC-16 – 18 Dec 2008
- Interns orientation – MEU- Mar 2009
- Identification, Use and maintenance of Laboratory Equipments — Conducted by Sri Vinayaka missions Homeopathic Medical College & Hospital – Salem-April 09 (ROTP, Pathology-Module‑3, Sponsored by Dept. of AYUSH, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India )
- Processing of clinical specimens in diagnostic microbiology- CME on “Basic and emerging concepts in clinical laboratory practices”- Acharya institute of health sciences-May 2009.
- Basic investigations in Microbiology in a Primary health care Setup. – Post graduate refresher course- State Association of Community medicine(KACH)-Aug-2009
- Hand hygiene and use of Hand sanitisers ‑International Workshop on Health care Waste management- Conducted At MSRMC by WHO – SEARO.- OCT ‑2009
- Role of Immunodiagnostic tests in Microbiology ‑Conducted By Associations of physicians of India –Karnataka Chapter – API Bhavan – Bangalore-2009
- Panelist – Role and applications of Immunodiagnostic Methods in Clinical Medicine – Chanre Update – DEC-2009
- Evolution of an antibiotic policy – CME on“Infections in ICU- Role of clinical Microbiologists” – IAMM- Karnataka Chapter-September 2010.
- CME on “Emerging superbugs‑a challenge to antimicrobial therapy” –Sri Vinayaka Missions University – Salem – Sep-2010
- Bugs and bug bearers – HICC-MSRMC –Hand hygiene day- 2010
- Career guidance programmes for entry to Professional Courses Conducted by Deccan herald & Prajavani, Indian Express & The Hindu – 2009,2010.
- Sterilization and disinfection Practices in OT’s – NABH &3M Foundation – April ‑2012.
- Basic course workshop in medical education technologies conducted by St. Johns Medical College, Regional Centre for Medical Education Technologies, MCI- March 2012
- Chairperson- National paediatric intensive care CME-IAP Intensive care chapter-Sept 2013
- Workshop on Water and airborne diseases- MSRIT&MSRMC-Apr 2014
- Speaker , Chairperson, National conference in clinical microbiology- IAMM –Tamilnadu & Puducherry Chapter – Vinayaka missions university salem, July 2014
- Faculty- Microbiology Annual Revision Course for Post graduates- Nov-2014
- International course on HCWM-MSRMC-Oct-Nov 2015
- PG- Orientation programme-MEU-MSRMC-Jun 2016
- State level CME- IAMM-KC-Infection prevention in ICU-Nov 2016
- Revised Basic course workshop in medical education technologies conducted by St.Johns Medical College, Regional Centre for Medical Education Technologies, MCI- Feb 2017
- Multispecialty national conference- Community dermatology society – Mar 2017
- Intern’s orientation-MEU-Mar 2017
- PG-Orientation-MEU, MSRMC-Jun2017
- Intern’s Orientation-MEU, MSRMC-Sep 2017
- Chairperson – CME-Update on TB- MSRMC- Sep 2017
- XXII Annual conference-IAMM- Karnataka chapter- March-2018
- IAMM –TN Chapter- National conference on clinical immunology – April 2018
- CISP- MCI Nodal centre- St.John’s Medical College- May 2019
- CISP- MCI Nodal centre- St.John’s Medical College- Jun 2019
- Speaker- Critical care infectious disease update conference –Velammal medical college, Madurai-Oct 2019
- Automation in microbiology- Acharya institute of health sciences-Lab tech conference-Feb 2020
- Revised Basic course workshop in medical education technologies conducted by St. Johns Medical College, Regional Centre for Medical Education Technologies, MCI- July 2021
OTHER ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES:
- Contributed chapter on ‘Investigations in Microbiology’ In Handbook for Interns — Orientation, MEC, MSRMC.
- Contributed chapter on ‘How to deliver a good lecture’In Handbook for Post-Graduate Orientation, MEC, MSRMC.
- Text book reviewer: Text book of Immunology – Pearson Publications
- Synopsis review of PG dissertations in the institution.
- Reviewer – INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL JOURNAL – Australasian Medical Journal – Since 2011.
OTHER EVIDENCE OF RECOGNITION:
- Rated as Best Teacher ‑Microbiology-MSRMC2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011
- ‘Investigations in Microbiology’- Interns Orientation Programme, rated as best by intern’s batch of 2008.
- Letter of appreciation for appraisals from the institution – 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011.
- Dedicated service towards Voluntary body donation program ‑2019
- Member – Board of studies – Nitte University — Since 2018 – 19
- Member – Board of Studies – Siddharatha University- Tumkur –Since 2018 – 19
- Member – UG – Board of Studies – RGUHS –Since-2021
- Member – NAAC-Expert Committee to review NAAC Health Sciences Manual – 2019 – 20
- Trained & Recognised NAAC assessor – since 2019 – 20
- Invited as Internal Auditor- NAAC – Nitte University-Mangalore
- Invited as Internal Auditor- NAAC – Yenepoya University- Mangalore
- Invited as Chairman- Internal Audit Commitee- NAAC – Siddharatha University- Tumkur
- External Member – IQAC- NITTE University ‑Mangalore
- Invited as Internal Auditor- NAAC – Nursing College
- Invited as Panel Member – ICMR-Bangalore
- Innovation ambassador – MHRD- 2021 – 22