Bita Afsharinia is a senior research scholar at the Department of Management Studies, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. I am currently working under Professor Anjula Gurtoo in the area of food, nutrition, and health policy. I am an international student from Iran. I hold master’s in clinical psychology from Mysore university and Bachelors in BA from St. Philomena’s college, Mysore. I have internship experience as a clinical psychologist at Prerana Hospital, Mysore.
My interest is to work on policies to prevent malnutrition and its related diseases, dietary inadequacy, vaccine hesitancy, particularly among vulnerable children
- Bioecological determinants of malnutrition in underprivileged children in India | Wiley Publications — Bita Afsharinia & Anjula Gurtoo (2022), Given the persistent state of malnutrition in India, we probe, are there more nuances and unexplored dimensions to malnutrition issue that can add to the existing literature and support policy making? https://doi.org/10.1111/aswp.12254
- Developmental Agenda and the Global Pandemic | Springer Publications — Bita Afsharinia, Anjula Gurtoo, Rajib Shaw (2022), With the perspective of global pandemic, the chapter looks at the developmental issues through a systematic review of current literature on seven mainstream human security indicators: health, economy, food, education, environment, personal, community, and political security. https://doi.org/10.1007/978 – 981-16 – 5074-1_2
- Impact of Maternal Conditions on The Nutritional Health of Children in India | Biomedical Journal of Scientific & Technical Research (BJSTR) Publications — Bita Afsharinia, Anjula Gurtoo, Anant Arora and Vinay Kumar C (2021), While several studies highlight the general nutritional determinants, literature lacks empirical investigation on details of the influencing factors. In this paper we address this gap and specifically explore the variables of wealth and maternal influences. http://dx.doi.org/10.26717/BJSTR.2021.36.005780
- Role of social norms, leadership, and incentives in addressing vaccine hesitancy in India | Elsevier Public Health | Under review — Bita Afsharinia & Anjula Gurtoo (2022) The study assesses a population-representative sample of adults in India to investigate the socio-demographic determinants of vaccine acceptance, role of perceived social norms in vaccination hesitancy, and the role of incentive-based intervention for improving the likelihood of vaccination.
- Impact On Nutrition Through Mid-Day Meals: Building A Comprehensive Assessment Model| Report| Akshaya Patra Research Lab — Deepika Swami, Anjula Gurtoo and Bita Afsharinia (2020) The framework proposed in the report incorporates all the nutritional health factors to build a comprehensive mid-day meal (MDM) assessment model to identify effective, high potential, policy interventions for improved nutritional health of a child in India.
- Validation of the Nutritional Model | Report | Akshaya Patra Research Lab - The report gives the first statistical validation of the proposed framework. The first step assessment provides the foundational evaluation of impacts on nutritional health of a child.
- Success Evidence Report of School Feeding Programs A Snapshot| Report | Akshaya Patra Research Lab — The report provides three case evidence on the success of the School Feeding Programme (SFP). Analysis of TAPF data; a comprehensive literature study of school feeding programs across different countries, and analysis of the DHS data of 12 lakh children was conducted at the TAPF@IISc lab.
- Covid-19 Impact on Food Security | Report | Akshaya Patra Research Lab — Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on the household food consumption score (FCS) and variation in major food groups intake before (2018−19) and during the pandemic.
- Food security and COVID-19: Policy Note| Report | Akshaya Patra Research Lab — Despite the large-scale coordinated actions, various food and nutrition programs by government, NFHS‑5 conducted in years of 2019 – 20, shows the highest rates of malnutrition. The report attempts to address malnutrition and hunger especially due to the current concern of pandemic and its socio-economic disruption in the country
- Industrial Engineering and Operations Management | Conference | Istanbul, Turkey | March- 2022 — Presented on “Ecosystem Determinants of Height and Weight: Empirical Analysis of Underprivileged Children in India”. https://ieomsociety.org/proceedings/2022istanbul/270.pdf